Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM

895 posts, read 1,703,697 times

Advertisements

I am trying to become a more refined New York tourist by making a trip to one of the other five boroughs while I stay in the city. Last time I checked out Williamsburg, Brooklyn, which I was not impressed by, so I have decided to extend my exploring into Queens and the Bronx.
I understand the Bronx has a reputation for being the most dangerous borough but I figured there might be some neighborhoods worth visiting. I've heard decent things about Riverdale and a few others. What is your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 01:08 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Riverdale, NY is very safe (one of the lowest if the lowest crime rates around), very affluent and separated geographically from the Bronx by the steep hills, so you'll notice the difference immediately in the landscape if you will. It is very suburban in some parts and has a town-like atmosphere with mom and pop shops in the heart of the area. Fieldston, the most expensive part of Riverdale is a private community. In fact Riverdale has the most mansions than any other neighborhood in New York City. Many tourists visit the historical parts of Riverdale such as Wave Hill, historical churches and mansions/estates.

Areas of the Bronx that I hear are safe and quaint are Morris Park, Woodlawn, Pelham Bay, City Island, Country Club, Edgewater, parts of Throggs Neck and Schulyverville and apparently parts of Pelham Parkway. The other parts I would skip. Morris Park and Pelham Bay are probably two of the best neighborhoods in the Bronx.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:40 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
•Grand Concourse if you appreciate architecture. It's an art deco district primarily consisting of low rise (5-6 story) apartment buildings.

•Yankee Stadium

•Bronx Zoo

•Botanical Gardens

•Wave Hill

•Bronx Documentary Center

•Bronx Museum of Art

•Fordham Road, the busiest retail corridor in the Bronx.

•Belmont, Bronx Little Italy or Morris Park.

•Pelham Parkway/Bronx Park East, nice dense diverse neighborhood

•City Island, a dense New England style fishing community with great restaurants.

•Throgs Neck, some good restaurants.

•Van Cortlandt, Pelham Bay, Macobs, Ferry Point, Crotona, Soundview (Still some minor construction, being enhanced) and Saint Mary's Park.

•Melrose area, one of the fastest growing neighborhoods in NYC. One which has changed dramatically in recent years.

•Kingsbridge Armory before it gets renovated into the worlds largest ice rink center.

If your comfortable riding in urban traffic, you can cover a lot of ground on bike. It's a nice way to explore the neighborhoods.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:41 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Arthur Avenue, City Island, Van Cortlandt Village, Mosholu Parkway, Pelham Parkway, Grand Concourse, NYBG, Wave Hill, Fieldston would be my picks.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Riverdale, NY is very safe (one of the lowest if the lowest crime rates around), very affluent and separated geographically from the Bronx by the steep hills, so you'll notice the difference immediately in the landscape if you will.
Most of the West Bronx shares this topography (much of Upper Manhattan too).

Old 05-23-2013, 01:54 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Most of the West Bronx shares this topography (much of Upper Manhattan too).
I don't think any of them are separated geographically the way Riverdale is from the rest of the Bronx.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
I don't think any of them are separated geographically the way Riverdale is from the rest of the Bronx.
I could understand at the park separates Riverdale geographically, but not the hills, since this is a feature not limited to Riverdale. But the hills of Northern Manhattan/West Bronx are lovely. If the OP will be coming up this way, and likes parks, I'd also consider Fort Tryon Park, and the Fort Washington area of Washington Heights.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
rent a car then.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:23 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
The Bronx has many interesting,even some fascinating nooks and crannies but it is very difficult to recommend without knowing a) where your interests might lie and b) whether you will have a car or will be completely reliant on public transportation.

Without hesitation I would recommend a tour that combines a trip to The New York Botanical Garden with a walk around and a meal in Little Italy,which is only a 10 minute or so walk from The Botanical Garden.I would go to The Botanical Garden either in the morning or afternoon and then have either lunch or an early dinner in Little Italy.It's the best Botanical Garden in the US and one of the best in the world.....truly spectacular. A tour of Little Italy will provide you with a glimpse of what most of NYC was like before most of it became so corporate and homogenized.It looks like Greenwich Village in the 1960's.Lots of great shops and great restaurants.One could easily spend an entire day in The Botanical Garden and 3 or 4 hours is probably a minimum so the Garden and Little Italy with a meal would really be a day.There is a metro north Botanical Garden stop and as I said,Little Italy is a short walk away so this could be done easily without a car.

Many people who I bring on tours of The Bronx are ,surprisingly to me, somehow fascinated with Fordham Road.They say it is like nothing else in NYC or like nothing else in the country.Well, it's right there near the Botanical Garden and Little Italy if you care to take a stroll.

http://www.nybg.org/

http://www.nybg.org/gardens/full-list.php

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/

Last edited by bluedog2; 05-23-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 02:25 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,169,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
rent a car then.
I wouldn't recommend a tourist to drive around the Bronx considering all these locations have limited parking and many have heavy traffic. Why deal with that BS on a vacation? You also isolate yourself, there's something special about emerging from the subway onto the elevated track. For most the subway is adequate but I would rent a bike and cover more ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Many people who I bring on tours of The Bronx are ,surprisingly to me, somehow fascinated with Fordham Road.They say it is like nothing else in NYC or like nothing else in the country.Well, it's right there near the Botanical Garden and Little Italy if you care to take a stroll.

http://www.nybg.org/

http://www.arthuravenuebronx.com/
Fordham Road also has some of the highest pedestrian densities in NYC during the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City