Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:31 PM

113 posts, read 228,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Bronxman, this is more than just about noise. (at least in and around Dyckman Street it is) it's way beyond that. Last month 3 motorcyclists (who create a lot of noise) were riding down the sidewalk to avoid the traffic backed up on Seaman Avenue (also creating a lot noise with motorists honking incessantly), in doing so nearly RAN OVER a Dominican woman with 2 young kids as she rounded the corner they were flying down.

The biker knocked her and her son down to the ground as they sideswiped her- riding their motorcycles sidewalk. She got up and yelled at them in Spanish but they were long gone racing down Riverside Drive down the center drive. Two motorists got out to check if she was alright but this is a danger to the public.

Saying "Öh well it's 'the Heights' Too bad, get used to it. Don't like it- leave" isn't the right attitude to have. It wasn't always that way. Everyone deserves a safe and reasonably quiet neighborhood to live in. That's something everyone can agree on I hope.

Not much to do about summertime noise levels since it gets worse every year. Community Board 12 isn't doing anything about this; they're more concerned with installing speed bumps in Hudson Heights which is understandable but they're supposed to represent the whole area. Not just the more well to do professionals (co-op boards) up there who have more klout.

The bars which attract noise makers won't do anything either since they're only concerned about $$$ (La Marina, Papasito and Mamjayma specifically). Neighboring business owners who operate actual restaurants and cafes are also sick of the noise since it's detracts from business- who want's to eat dinner at restaurant with music blasting through the walls from the club next door and drunken people nearly fighting on the sidewalk? All of this at 8m on a weekday...

The NYPD has ineffective traffic police who just seem to sit in their SUV, out numbered as 50 motorcyclists storm by or they watch public drunkenness unfold. They could make thousands of dollars everyday handing out tickets and writing people up for noise offenses, such as all the honking fine signs plastered all over the wealthy neighborhoods in Manhattan.

This problem almost makes me think city officials don't care about poorer areas of the city.... The only thing to do is to report Occupy Wall Streeter's are going to march Broadway and you'll have every cop in the city lining up from Inwood to the Battery handing out tickets to anyone and everyone

I'm moving to a quieter area since fighting it is getting exhausting and almost seems useless. I feel bad for the old time residents who cannot afford to just move and have to "deal with it" That's really sad.
Noise is one thing, what you are talking about are Dangerous acts and situations .. You're right, that is beyond a noise problem ..

But, the city allows all this crazy behavior .. remember, that's why people do it. They don't get punished a lot for doing things such as riding a motor bike on the sidewalk ..

So I agree, that is a serious problem that could endanger someone's life, but blasting loud music on the weekends is a different story .. which is what the Original Post was about

Old 05-29-2013, 05:22 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
Bronxman, this is more than just about noise. (at least in and around Dyckman Street it is) it's way beyond that. Last month 3 motorcyclists (who create a lot of noise) were riding down the sidewalk to avoid the traffic backed up on Seaman Avenue (also creating a lot noise with motorists honking incessantly), in doing so nearly RAN OVER a Dominican woman with 2 young kids as she rounded the corner they were flying down.

The biker knocked her and her son down to the ground as they sideswiped her- riding their motorcycles sidewalk. She got up and yelled at them in Spanish but they were long gone racing down Riverside Drive down the center drive. Two motorists got out to check if she was alright but this is a danger to the public.

Saying "Öh well it's 'the Heights' Too bad, get used to it. Don't like it- leave" isn't the right attitude to have. It wasn't always that way. Everyone deserves a safe and reasonably quiet neighborhood to live in. That's something everyone can agree on I hope.

Not much to do about summertime noise levels since it gets worse every year. Community Board 12 isn't doing anything about this; they're more concerned with installing speed bumps in Hudson Heights which is understandable but they're supposed to represent the whole area. Not just the more well to do professionals (co-op boards) up there who have more klout.

The bars which attract noise makers won't do anything either since they're only concerned about $$$ (La Marina, Papasito and Mamjayma specifically). Neighboring business owners who operate actual restaurants and cafes are also sick of the noise since it's detracts from business- who want's to eat dinner at restaurant with music blasting through the walls from the club next door and drunken people nearly fighting on the sidewalk? All of this at 8m on a weekday...

The NYPD has ineffective traffic police who just seem to sit in their SUV, out numbered as 50 motorcyclists storm by or they watch public drunkenness unfold. They could make thousands of dollars everyday handing out tickets and writing people up for noise offenses, such as all the honking fine signs plastered all over the wealthy neighborhoods in Manhattan.

This problem almost makes me think city officials don't care about poorer areas of the city.... The only thing to do is to report Occupy Wall Streeter's are going to march Broadway and you'll have every cop in the city lining up from Inwood to the Battery handing out tickets to anyone and everyone

I'm moving to a quieter area since fighting it is getting exhausting and almost seems useless. I feel bad for the old time residents who cannot afford to just move and have to "deal with it" That's really sad.
This basic lawlessness has been going on in the Heights for about a good 30 years. I remember some punk threw a molotov at the Fireman from 181th St. Engine 93. Another mutt threw a compound bucket because he was upset about cars being ticketed. The savage threw the bucket 6 flights killing a cop. He took off to Santo Domingo. I'm happy Inwood and Heights are seeing a rebirth if you will but until it totally swings the cops arent doing squat.

Old 05-29-2013, 05:53 PM

113 posts, read 228,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
LOL... I have to agree with you on that one. You should visit the neighborhood various times of the day and night to see what it's like. I realize people have jobs and life is busy but the extra time spent can save you many headaches later on.
And it's better to go in the summer time after 5PM .. Then you know for SURE, what type of neighborhood you are moving into.

Many people could care less about what type of people are in a neighborhood. They think selfishly ..

CLOSE TO MY JOB
CLOSE TO THE BARS
NEAR A TRAIN
NEAR MY SCHOOL
IT'S CHEAPER

They get so blinded by those reasons for wanting to move, they never stop to ask the main question

WHAT TYPE OF PEOPLE WILL I BE LIVING AROUND

Then when "THEY" FAIL to answer that question, they cry later when they don't "Like" the new people they live around.

And make it so bad, he didn't say any other night aside from "SATURDAY" .. So that is his only complaint .. A WEEKEND DAY ..

LOL .. The NERVE of some people .. SMH .. This whole thread is a

Old 05-29-2013, 06:20 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Just week-ends huh? From what others have said, that doesn't seem to be the case...
Just for the record, the OP never mentioned anything about loud music during the week. Only on Saturdays.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2013, 06:25 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,252,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BronxMan314 View Post
And it's better to go in the summer time after 5PM .. Then you know for SURE, what type of neighborhood you are moving into.

Many people could care less about what type of people are in a neighborhood. They think selfishly ..

CLOSE TO MY JOB
CLOSE TO THE BARS
NEAR A TRAIN
NEAR MY SCHOOL
IT'S CHEAPER

They get so blinded by those reasons for wanting to move, they never stop to ask the main question

WHAT TYPE OF PEOPLE WILL I BE LIVING AROUND

Then when "THEY" FAIL to answer that question, they cry later when they don't "Like" the new people they live around.

And make it so bad, he didn't say any other night aside from "SATURDAY" .. So that is his only complaint .. A WEEKEND DAY ..

LOL .. The NERVE of some people .. SMH .. This whole thread is a
/thread

Thats majority most of them care about. To drink in bars and have a short commute home to sleep off the hangover.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-29-2013, 09:22 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Just for the record, the OP never mentioned anything about loud music during the week. Only on Saturdays.
Correct, the OP never did... Others did though.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:21 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybold View Post
Noise was the #1 reason I moved out of Washington Heights and into the Bronx.
According to Noisefree.org the #1 reason for relocations is due to Noise!

So, being that, get a little suspicious when you rent an apartment, buy a condo or even a house somewhere and it looks too good to be true!

As far as Noise being part of Dominican culture, oh please! That's been said of Mexicans as well! And my Mexican roommate is the first to alert me if there's a loud party up my street, causing too much noise, and urges me to call the police!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That is why I live in the burbs.
People should investigate the noisiness of the area before moving in and save themselves the heartache.
Oh please!!! All it takes is for some middle class teen, with the financial means, to install a loud stereo system in his car and that loud, thumping boom car can be heard for blocks around in any suburb, day or night!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Nothing but move. Noise is not a crime its a complaint. I've been to the area to do emergency work for BOFA and I saw dudes barbecuing on the street at 3 AM blasting music. Just the lifestyle there.
Unknown to many, Noise is a health issue! Any noise changes the chemistry of the body, just clap your hands together loudly, then listen to your body!

And unbelievable to many, loud noises can trigger heart attacks in some people! It can raise your blood pressure level to dangerous levels!

140 decibels is the threshold!

Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM

94 posts, read 214,776 times
I can't believe this thread is actually still going. LMAO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City