Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 08:48 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

This link might help you. It lists the buses that go to LGA. mta.info | Services to LaGuardia and Kennedy Airports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 09:06 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,385,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanP. View Post
Thanks,

Did you mean the Q33 at Jackson Heights? I am looking at the map now and it Looks like the E doesn't touch the Q48?

Looks to me like I would have to transfer to the 7 train to get to the Q48? Or am I looking at it wrong?

and speaking of trains, is the N train or any of the others that cross the East river any more reliable than the others? Or is there any trains to avoid? If I lived someplace that required a train connection in midtown somewhere to the N,E, F, or 7 to get me across the East river .. how long does a typical connection usually take? 10-20 minutes?
You are correct. You would need to get to the 7 to the Q48 -- I thought I had put in the transfer, but didn't. Sorry about that. Yes, you could also take the Q33 from Jackson Heights.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 05-31-2013, 09:31 AM

10 posts, read 16,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
It's a website that allows you to rent short-term rooms or apartments. https://www.airbnb.com/
You just have to realize that in NYC there are laws against short-term rentals and many of these may be technically breaking the hotel law here in the city. I personally would probably still use it in NYC if I did not live here, but you should read an article or two on the risks before doing so. Airbnb in New York City: After the fine | The Economist

THANKS! Great website! Found some places that would be perfect for a few days. I would have never known.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:36 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post

Without a roommate, in Queens, in addition to aforementioned areas, I would look at Kew Gardens, as it's affordable, and if you are close to Austin Street, there are shops, restaurants, etc., not in the same concentration as the UWS, but certainly some good neighborhood spots. Forest Hills is another consideration, but can get a bit more expensive, but again, Austin Street has a good mix of local places. You would need your car in this area of Queens, however, since it would take ~15-20 minutes to LGA by car, but would take about an hour if you were to use public transportation. Kew Gardens to JFK is on the order of ~15-20 minutes as well, in light traffic, so it would be more centrally located if you plan to bring your car. Forest Hills, especially, can have parking problems, so you would need to be sure you had off-street parking in FH. Kew Gardens is similar, but parking has never seemed to be as difficult.

Sunnyside is also a short trip from LGA, but more easily facilitated with your own car. It's about 5 miles, or so, from the airport, so very close, yet you also have easy access to Manhattan via subway. Parking is not as easy on the street, like many areas in Queens and Brooklyn, but contracted parking in a garage in Queens is usually not more than $200/month. Via car, Sunnyside is about 30 minutes or so to JFK with light traffic. Sunnyside is closer to Manhattan than Kew Gardens/Forest Hills.
One doesn't need a car to live in Forest Hills if one lives near Queens Blvd. One can take the E/F express trains (or the R/M local trains) and then connect to the Q33 bus to LGA. Another option would be the Rego Park (which is a bit closer than Forest Hills) area along Queens Blvd. There is the Q72 bus right next to Rego Center which goes to LGA.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:25 PM

1 posts, read 645 times
Hi Ryan,

Not sure if ur still looking for a place but I have a 1 bedroom apt for rent in my private home in Little neck, Queens. It's a safe suburban neighborhood with plenty of street parking and close to all major highways and train/buses (10min ride by car to lga/JFK).
My last tenant was a Flight attendant from AA who lived in the apt for 5 years. Everything is clean, new etc..if you or anyone you knw might be interested,pls contact me.

Thank you. I can be reached at stephaniesavocch@aol.com

Old 12-31-2013, 06:35 AM

44 posts, read 142,480 times
OP,

I used to work for the airlines--5 years for United as an FA, so I know exactly where you're coming from. I also know Chicago really well (as you can imagine). Do you mind if I ask your seniority? It'd give me a better idea of what kind of situation you're looking for.

Here's my basic assessment:
1. The advice about visiting and checking out some neighborhoods is good, of course.

2. I get your initial desire to live in Manhattan--for most out-of-towners that's what you're most familiar with, and that's what you think of when you think NYC. But I would seriously consider living in Brooklyn or Queens, as you'll get much more for your money, without the social/nightlife drop off you might be imagining.

3. In Manhattan you mentioned you liked the village. Not to scare you off, but expect to pay higher prices if you want a really nice place in these areas. Most NYC apartments that aren't new construction tend to be "well-loved", by the way. If you're leaning towards the village just because of the feel of the neighborhood, bars, restaurants, etc, it should be mentioned again that there are a lot of nabes in NYC that have similar things to offer.

4. In Brooklyn: I lived in Williamsburg for 13 years, including the 5 that I worked for United. You'll find that the commute to LGA is not as easy as O'Hare--no train running directly there here! You will indeed be looking at a commute where you'll be transferring from subway to bus. Because of that, north Brooklyn is a little more ideal.

5. Study a subway map--the G (green) line moves only between Brooklyn and Queens, but is convenient in getting to Roosevelt Ave where you would change for the bus to LGA. There are other routes to get to LGA, but this is the one I took--from Williamsburg, Brooklyn it took about an hour. The L (grey), A (blue), and J (brown) lines are convenient for JFK.

6. You said you live in a hipster area in Chicago now--Wicker Park? Logan Square? Either of those is comprable to Williamsburg/Greenpoint in Brooklyn. Other Brooklyn areas you might like are in the South--Park Slope and Cobble Hill are particularly pretty, and have the look of the West Village a bit. Cobble Hill is bit more adult, Park Slope a bit more "I'm getting my masters degree in english lit".

7. Queens in general is a little more family-oriented and less trendy than Brooklyn. Astoria, as others have mentioned, is considered a nice neighborhood. It's certainly right next to LGA, but personally I'd live elsewhere. Not only would your occasional check-ins at JFK be harder to get to than a central location, but I always thought it odd when crew-members would choose places to live right be the airport. I mean, you're in NYC, get out and experience the city!

8. Going hand in hand with #7, you'll find a lot of pilots and FAs have crash pads and apartments in Kew Gardens and Forest Hills. I wouldn't recommend this, unless you're just looking for something temporary until you get settled. While those two areas are nice enough (well, at least you could say that about Forest Hills), the only thing they have going for them is their proximity to JFK.

I hope some of this helps, apologies if it's a little scattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City