Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Norwood, I'm surprised that my comments were interpreted as an attack. Absolutely weren't intended as such, I just meant that different people value different things and have different opinions and priorities. By assuming that you would not label yourself politically progressive (liberal in other words), I made a assumption based on past statements. It happens that all of the people I know who have moved here in the past few years, from various backgrounds, are left leaning politically. It may be just a coincidence since New York is majority liberal politically speaking to begin with, but neighborhoods such as Woodlawn would seem to attract a larger percentage of people of conservative political affiliation. For some reason this seems to color many peoples perceptions for whatever reason.
You base your thinking on me from this message board? Listen, the thread is about Norwood no more hijacking. I put facts about the area. If by putting facts about Norwood makes me a conservative in your eyes what can I say. I would call that deductive reasoning pretty stupid but what do I know. Once again, If the Gardens were removed you would be devastated? So when posters like myself who grew up in a certain area and see things disappear it sucks. What would you know about my former flag football team that encompassed all the bars in the area? Or the softball teams? Those stores and bars have been replaced by 99 cent stores, barber shops and phone stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 09:04 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
You base your thinking on me from this message board? Listen, the thread is about Norwood no more hijacking. I put facts about the area. If by putting facts about Norwood makes me a conservative in your eyes what can I say. I would call that deductive reasoning pretty stupid but what do I know. Once again, If the Gardens were removed you would be devastated? So when posters like myself who grew up in a certain area and see things disappear it sucks. What would you know about my former flag football team that encompassed all the bars in the area? Or the softball teams? Those stores and bars have been replaced by 99 cent stores, barber shops and phone stores.
I think some personal characteristics are relevant, just as you think your former flag football team is relevant. Both are debatable. I wouldn't buy property in an area based on things such as a flag football team, or a certain store. Areas are always changing and evolving, and I place a lot of importance on the things that are less likely to change. What I really like about this area is the open space, including the Botanical Gardens, which isn't going anywhere, the architecture, topography, mature street trees, again, the bones of an area. My values are different than yours, meaning I can't imagine that any of these are things that you value to a great extent. I also choose where I purchase property on mass transit access - this isn't going to change.

I don't care what language my neighbors speak, or what they look like. I am lucky to like all of my neighbors, but different people will come and go and I deal with that. Schools get better or worse, but you are not forced to send your kids to the local school if you don't want to. Anyway, we are different people and will not make the same choices. This does not make either your or my choice the right one. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:54 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,705,918 times
from what I read, Bedford Park has quite a history. i think the name was taken from the London suburb of Bedford and i think it was some kind of suburban retreat back in the late 1800's or early 1900's. I think Thomas Alva Edison had a studio at DeCatur Ave and 199th and there was some kind of "hotel" for actors and actresses(like Ava Gardner i believe) sometime around 1940 or 1950. this hotel was supposed to be on Bedford Park Blvd and Briggs. I can only imagine how this area must have looked all those decades ago. The idea of the JP Reservoir triggered an influx of immigrants from italy who worked on building the reservoir. and that nearby Jerome Ave was named after Leonard Jerome who was related to Winston Churchhill. this area has a lot going historically

Old 06-02-2013, 12:07 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,386,019 times
Many neighborhoods in the Bronx have similar incredible histories...and were completely different than they are today.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:26 PM

5,452 posts, read 11,257,593 times
Almost all Bronx neighborhoods share a similar history, from day one it was for all parts involved a darn struggle for a better tomorrow.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I think some personal characteristics are relevant, just as you think your former flag football team is relevant. Both are debatable. I wouldn't buy property in an area based on things such as a flag football team, or a certain store. Areas are always changing and evolving, and I place a lot of importance on the things that are less likely to change. What I really like about this area is the open space, including the Botanical Gardens, which isn't going anywhere, the architecture, topography, mature street trees, again, the bones of an area. My values are different than yours, meaning I can't imagine that any of these are things that you value to a great extent. I also choose where I purchase property on mass transit access - this isn't going to change.

I don't care what language my neighbors speak, or what they look like. I am lucky to like all of my neighbors, but different people will come and go and I deal with that. Schools get better or worse, but you are not forced to send your kids to the local school if you don't want to. Anyway, we are different people and will not make the same choices. This does not make either your or my choice the right one. Different strokes for different folks.
Who would buy a property based on flag football? I'm pointing out that things or activities I had are gone. Also it's not just "Flag Football" or "Softball" these are guys and girls I GREW up with. To this day we are still friends. Had the area not changed so drastically maybe my kids and my friends kids would of grown up in the same hood. Now back to the thread. Would I recommend BP to a single person? No. If I'm single I want more amenities. Mass transit is nice but wouldn't it be nice to not having to leave your area to do things?
A family? No again. Why? Like a lot of Americans not just Bronx residents in BP, move to better the lives of their children. Mass transit doesn't help my kids. I would be interested in Little League,Pools, Foot ball teams, soccer teams. Most importantly over everything, SCHOOLS. The area does not have good schools. Actually JHS 80 I believe was divided up because of failing grades and trouble. Also evidence by a newly released report from CUNY. Over 80% of NYC Public HS kids who enter CUNY need to take remedial courses to matriculate in college. That's a staggering #.
So if a friend asked me, "I want to live in a mostly latino area of the bronx", I would not suggest Norwood. I would say take a look at Mott haven or down by the Bruckner area. Antique Row. I would also suggest the Lower end of the Concourse where the coops are very well maintained. For instance 325 East 201th Street and 860 GC are managed by the same company. Same sponsor's. 860 GC is a great building. Right off 161th street. Same mass transit that you love in Norwood. same express bus right down GC. The biggest difference? That much closer to Manhattan. To me maybe not you. Their is zero difference between that part of the South bronx compared to Bedford park. You have leham and they have Hostos. You have a post office on perry and 204th st. They have the big place on the GC. You have NCBX Hospital and they have Lincoln or BX Lebanon. The schools are the same. Why move further into the bronx when you can live closer?
The only person that I would say ok yeah invest in Bedford. A person who wants to be in a mostly Latino area and works in North central BX or Monty? Even then I would try to convince them to look at the W 231th st area. That's a big latino area that has some nice stores. There are some nice places to eat. Some nice places to go for a drink. The schools are the same as Norwood. 1 train is slow but also less crime in the 5-0 compared to the 5-2. Also they just put a new track over there and a new ice skating rink on Broadway.
Also who cares what language people speak? If I'm getting this wrong i apologize. I never once said please don't live in BP because their are too many latinos? Not once. This is not about race as it is about economics. I speak to a ton of supers with my job. Anyhow during my chats I always ask. Is this building a Coop, Rental or section 8? The area is bombarded with section 8. That was not always the case with bedford/Mosholu area. had a very nice chat with Pietrang and he knew my old super. Because of the size of the apt's in my old building. The owner could not get renters at his rate or maybe he got beat on his rentals. Anyhow he turned the 50 unit building into section 8 but wait section 8 housing for the mentally ill. So one day your in a building that had a golf club and older ladies met up for highballs in the afternoon. To now with people mumbling and urinating in the elevator AKA moving urinals. I'm happy that your place is great. Sounds like Turks and caico's where you are. I've gone diving in turks so if you found that then absolutely hold on to it. PS read my post about my buddy JS who still resides in 400 East Mosholu Pkwy building. Those are honest observations what he does. Also this is a guy in the same building/apartment over 40 years.

Old 06-02-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
No anger intended. I was only trying to be a little sarcastic which obviously came across wrong. I agree to disagree. I just don't see the change in the neighborhood as bad. Were there more upper middle class people living there before? Perhaps. I do see that the area has a lot to offer as a middle class area. And since I don't have kids maybe that's why I see it differently. Anyone else out there with kids want to chime in?
Hey you want to see a great area with some old school buildings? just got home from jackson height's. That area got some really nice preserved coops. You should check that area out.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:15 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,635,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Who would buy a property based on flag football? I'm pointing out that things or activities I had are gone. Also it's not just "Flag Football" or "Softball" these are guys and girls I GREW up with. To this day we are still friends. Had the area not changed so drastically maybe my kids and my friends kids would of grown up in the same hood. Now back to the thread. Would I recommend BP to a single person? No. If I'm single I want more amenities. Mass transit is nice but wouldn't it be nice to not having to leave your area to do things?
A family? No again. Why? Like a lot of Americans not just Bronx residents in BP, move to better the lives of their children. Mass transit doesn't help my kids. I would be interested in Little League,Pools, Foot ball teams, soccer teams. Most importantly over everything, SCHOOLS. The area does not have good schools. Actually JHS 80 I believe was divided up because of failing grades and trouble. Also evidence by a newly released report from CUNY. Over 80% of NYC Public HS kids who enter CUNY need to take remedial courses to matriculate in college. That's a staggering #.
So if a friend asked me, "I want to live in a mostly latino area of the bronx", I would not suggest Norwood. I would say take a look at Mott haven or down by the Bruckner area. Antique Row. I would also suggest the Lower end of the Concourse where the coops are very well maintained. For instance 325 East 201th Street and 860 GC are managed by the same company. Same sponsor's. 860 GC is a great building. Right off 161th street. Same mass transit that you love in Norwood. same express bus right down GC. The biggest difference? That much closer to Manhattan. To me maybe not you. Their is zero difference between that part of the South bronx compared to Bedford park. You have leham and they have Hostos. You have a post office on perry and 204th st. They have the big place on the GC. You have NCBX Hospital and they have Lincoln or BX Lebanon. The schools are the same. Why move further into the bronx when you can live closer?
The only person that I would say ok yeah invest in Bedford. A person who wants to be in a mostly Latino area and works in North central BX or Monty? Even then I would try to convince them to look at the W 231th st area. That's a big latino area that has some nice stores. There are some nice places to eat. Some nice places to go for a drink. The schools are the same as Norwood. 1 train is slow but also less crime in the 5-0 compared to the 5-2. Also they just put a new track over there and a new ice skating rink on Broadway.
Also who cares what language people speak? If I'm getting this wrong i apologize. I never once said please don't live in BP because their are too many latinos? Not once. This is not about race as it is about economics. I speak to a ton of supers with my job. Anyhow during my chats I always ask. Is this building a Coop, Rental or section 8? The area is bombarded with section 8. That was not always the case with bedford/Mosholu area. had a very nice chat with Pietrang and he knew my old super. Because of the size of the apt's in my old building. The owner could not get renters at his rate or maybe he got beat on his rentals. Anyhow he turned the 50 unit building into section 8 but wait section 8 housing for the mentally ill. So one day your in a building that had a golf club and older ladies met up for highballs in the afternoon. To now with people mumbling and urinating in the elevator AKA moving urinals. I'm happy that your place is great. Sounds like Turks and caico's where you are. I've gone diving in turks so if you found that then absolutely hold on to it. PS read my post about my buddy JS who still resides in 400 East Mosholu Pkwy building. Those are honest observations what he does. Also this is a guy in the same building/apartment over 40 years.
Your anger is odd but clear.

I don't understand why you put so much time and effort into explaining over and over again why you dislike this neighborhood that you haven't lived in for years. I mean, you metamorifically take a knife, stab it and twist it, and if anything moves, you stab it again. Most people would explain their opinion, call it a day and move on.

And yes, I understand that you have anger for me, it is clear from your posts the many pms I've received from you previously. I disagree with you practically all the time - we are obviously very different people. But the antipathy on your side is just overblown in my opinion. I am not perfect, but I try to disagree politely. I have never said anything negative about your neighorhood or you as a person - now that I think of it, I can'[t even remember you sharing where you live. I'm sure you have though, right? It wouldn't be correct to go to this much trouble to trash the neighborhoods of others without mentioning this.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:29 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,419,117 times
One key difference with Bedford Park and Mott Haven is the number of subsidized units. Like East Harlem, that is a huge stumbling block I. The area's recovery because you are at the whim of government regulation. When the NYCHA was consolidated into East Harlem and the South Bronx, it altered the balance of the area dramatically. Bedford Park does not have that aspect to consider, so it is possible for middle-class families to rebuild the area without tensions between subsidized and market rate tenants.

Schools have failing grades, overall, but that does not mean all classes or students fail. Standardized tests are one measure, and while there is certainly need for improvement, a score does not tell everything. One of my relatives left a lucrative law practice to teach in the South Bronx, at a failing school, by NY Metro standards, which are inflated by small suburban districts. Social problems are prevalent, but there are children who can and want to learn in these schools. Are they for every family? No, and no every family is up to the challenge of a school that has challenges, but it is not impossible for a middle-class family,,if they are committed to helping heir child and advocating for the best school environment possible. In teaching, the union does more to keep bad teachers employed than it does in fostering excellence. That is the wring message to send to families, but there are many who do learn, despite a lack of resources, and a more challenging school environment.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-02-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Your anger is odd but clear.

I don't understand why you put so much time and effort into explaining over and over again why you dislike this neighborhood that you haven't lived in for years. I mean, you metamorifically take a knife, stab it and twist it, and if anything moves, you stab it again. Most people would explain their opinion, call it a day and move on.

And yes, I understand that you have anger for me, it is clear from your posts the many pms I've received from you previously. I disagree with you practically all the time - we are obviously very different people. But the antipathy on your side is just overblown in my opinion. I am not perfect, but I try to disagree politely. I have never said anything negative about your neighorhood or you as a person - now that I think of it, I can'[t even remember you sharing where you live. I'm sure you have though, right? It wouldn't be correct to go to this much trouble to trash the neighborhoods of others without mentioning this.
Go to page 4 of this thread. I wasnt even including you in my responses. Once again your great at hijacking threads. This is a message board with many ideas and opinions. I put my facts and opinions on a area that my parents and other family members still live. A area I STILL work in. Your 100% correct i don't care for you. I don't like the constant snarky comments. Why don't we call it a day and not hijack threads. We are a very different people. As they say in work everyone is another piece of the puzzle. Best of luck moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City