Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 07:06 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,693,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
My own opinion is that Bedford Park is an area that has some bright spots, and others that may need a bit of improvement, where some blocks, houses, and apartments are very well maintained. The area is not easy to paint with a uniform brush. I would characterize the area as stabilizing, not declining, as it had declines in previous decades.
BM, Never thought I would say this. At this point I would rather purchase a property in East harlem compared to the old hood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2013, 07:07 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,390,620 times
To be fair, just because someone lived there doesn't necessarily mean you know the area better than someone who works there, or has friends who live there etc. Maybe you never left your house, maybe you only associated with people exactly like you so you keep regurgitating whatever it is you believe over and over again regardless of the truth, maybe you get all your information from archie bunker type parents so thats how you view the world? None of which would give you any actual real view of what is happening in the community even if you were there for 40 years.

I tend to agree with Bluedog, and I think like most Bronx neighborhoods, their heydays were pre 1950 when everything was newly built, and there was more homogenity (on almost every level, similar jobs, similar economic levels, similar appearances, similar life cycles, etc). I think many Bronx neighborhoods started hitting the skids in the 50s (some before that like Mott Haven), and there was a downward trend until about the mid-to-late 90s, depending on the neighborhood. Of course kids growing up would not realize this because they see mom and dad happy, their friends playing 'safely', and feel happy in their surroundings, which has nothing to do with the reality of a neighborhood.

I felt very safe and normal growing up in Mott Haven in the 80s and 90s (!)..we played outside, everyone looked out for everyone, and people were happy (according to me!). Is that an accurate representation of the neighborhood...hell no. But everyone uses that same metric for their own neighborhood as the basis to compare it today, and it is almost always wrong. Parents suffer from the same selective memory..the neighborhood was great until "they" showed up (jews/blacks/italians etc)...its always someone else to blame for ruining the imaginary party, or for your own marital problems, or for neighbors moving to a better place while you can't get a raise, and on and on..it's human nature.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:17 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,430,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
BM, Never thought I would say this. At this point I would rather purchase a property in East harlem compared to the old hood.
I think it would depend upon which part of each neighborhood, housing type, and budget to know for sure which would be better between the two. East Harlem has attracted developer money, and if one was looking around Mount Sinai, sure that would be a better buy at this point I terms of investment, but prices reflect that. With the refurbishment of The Armory, the neighborhood can continue to stabilize, and is attainable for a middle-class buyer. The ship sailed long ago on any single-family or multi-family property in East Harmen for under seven figures. Sure, BP will not have a quick return on investment, and will be challenging as the area seeks to rebuild, but huge outside investment has not been a factor in that area as it has been for a while in East Hatlem.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-01-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
I think it would depend upon which part of each neighborhood, housing type, and budget to know for sure which would be better between the two. East Harlem has attracted developer money, and if one was looking around Mount Sinai, sure that would be a better buy at this point I terms of investment, but prices reflect that. With the refurbishment of The Armory, the neighborhood can continue to stabilize, and is attainable for a middle-class buyer. The ship sailed long ago on any single-family or multi-family property in East Harmen for under seven figures. Sure, BP will not have a quick return on investment, and will be challenging as the area seeks to rebuild, but huge outside investment has not been a factor in that area as it has been for a while in East Hatlem.
Yeah, some good points. BTW Ichiro of the Yanks lives on 110th St. Just west of 5th Ave.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:49 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,637,322 times
I agree with bmwguy, prices are just so different in the two neighborhoods. We considered buying there, but preferred a house, totally unattainable in East Harlem for middle-class people even then (2004). My inlaws live there, so I have been in East Harlem with some frequency for a long time. The area has improved very much during this time, but there are so many projects, which won't be going away. Way more tension as well between new and old residents (I hear a lot of resentment from my husband's relatives towards the newcomers). We did not experience that at all in Bedford Park.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:04 AM

BM, want to know the biggest detriment in Norwood? The schools. That's a big problem throughout NYC I understand. Your a middle class family what school are you attending? The 2 big public schools back then PS 8 and JHS 80 are not producing Rhodes Scholars. So once again if your a family I would not recommend that area. I know St Philip Neri has shrunk but still has decent enrollment numbers. BTW the area produced a famous alum. Here's a hint has appeared the most ever on David Letterman? Off to the Beach , everyone enjoy your days.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:09 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post

I felt very safe and normal growing up in Mott Haven in the 80s and 90s (!)..we played outside, everyone looked out for everyone, and people were happy (according to me!). Is that an accurate representation of the neighborhood...hell no. But everyone uses that same metric for their own neighborhood as the basis to compare it today, and it is almost always wrong. Parents suffer from the same selective memory..the neighborhood was great until "they" showed up (jews/blacks/italians etc)...its always someone else to blame for ruining the imaginary party, or for your own marital problems, or for neighbors moving to a better place while you can't get a raise, and on and on..it's human nature.
That's not human nature, that's the nature of failure and of the person or persons involved not addressing that failure/their own issues. So they invent imaginary golden ages instead of dealing with their present problems.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:11 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,717,687 times
Ace Frehley of Kiss lived in Bedford Park. 201 street I think

Old 06-01-2013, 08:18 AM

579 posts, read 946,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
I agree with bmwguy, prices are just so different in the two neighborhoods. We considered buying there, but preferred a house, totally unattainable in East Harlem for middle-class people even then (2004). My inlaws live there, so I have been in East Harlem with some frequency for a long time. The area has improved very much during this time, but there are so many projects, which won't be going away. Way more tension as well between new and old residents (I hear a lot of resentment from my husband's relatives towards the newcomers). We did not experience that at all in Bedford Park.
I agree as well. And I would go further to say that the premium you pay in east Harlem compared to Bedford Park and Norwood is not worth it. I see the quality of life in east Harlem as no better than the Bronx. The only advantage is the shorter ride downtown.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:30 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietrang View Post
I agree as well. And I would go further to say that the premium you pay in east Harlem compared to Bedford Park and Norwood is not worth it. I see the quality of life in east Harlem as no better than the Bronx. The only advantage is the shorter ride downtown.
The shorter ride downtown is a quality of life issue, and thus East Harlem is more expensive than the Bronx.

With that said, if the Bronx in general and the South Bronx in particular continues to get business development (so the Bronx won't be entirely dependent on Manhattan commutes), this will change. Which I'm sure it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City