Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 AM

45 posts, read 71,622 times

Advertisements

Does a sellers agent in NY have to disclose a house is in a flood zone ?

Realtors seem to be split on this. Anywhere I can get a concrete answer ? A link would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:40 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouRod87 View Post

Realtors seem to be split on this. Anywhere I can get a concrete answer ? A link would be great.
just look at the map, if you buy in a flood zone and get water damage it's your own dumb fault

Old 08-18-2016, 10:01 AM

223 posts, read 255,924 times
Quote:

Types of Disclosures New York Sellers Must Make:

The PCDA requires you to complete a standard form disclosure statement http://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/licensing/1614-a.pdf. The language of the disclosure statement comes directly from the law and contains 48 questions about the property. The questions are organized by topic, and the topics are:

general information: age, ownership, utility surcharges and possession of the property
environmental: whether the property is located within a flood plain, wetlands, or agricultural district, near a landfill; whether the property contains asbestos, lead pipes, or fuel storage tanks; whether a radon test has been performed on the property; or whether petroleum products or hazardous or toxic substances are known to have been spilled, leaked, or otherwise released on or from the property
structural: water, fire, smoke, or insect damage and the condition of the roof
mechanical systems and services: utilities, water source and quality, sewers, drainage, flooding.

The disclosure statement also asks you to check off any systems or property components that have known defects from a list that includes plumbing, air conditioning, heating, hot water, security and other detection systems, foundation, walls, sump pumps, floors, chimneys, patios, decks, or driveways. If any of these systems or components are defective, you should describe the defect in detail in the spaces provided on the form. (N.Y. Real Prop. Law §462).

The agent should provide that information but buyers should do their due diligence and research properties.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:59 AM

45 posts, read 71,622 times
In NY, the seller can pay $500 to the buyer and not disclose anything. I'm trying to figure out if it protects their agent.

Old 08-18-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
In NY, the seller can pay $500 to the buyer and not disclose anything. I'm trying to figure out if it protects their agent.
If the seller decides to not disclose and sign a disclaimer statement and fork the $500 credit at closing then the agent is protected.

Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,751,005 times
Pay $500 to not disclose what? A murder? If the house is haunted? Demons?

I've never heard of this and if I was buying and a seller said, "Hey, I'll give you $500 if I don't have to disclose something to you about this house." I'd back out.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
Pay $500 to not disclose what? A murder? If the house is haunted? Demons?

I've never heard of this and if I was buying and a seller said, "Hey, I'll give you $500 if I don't have to disclose something to you about this house." I'd back out.
Look at previous comment. Opt out of disclosing general information, environmental, structural and mechanical systems/services. You are required to complete the disclosure statement or a disclaimer that entitles the buyer to a $500 credit. I agree - I wouldn't want to purchase w/o the disclosure statement and doing inspections but it's become a common thing now for sellers to just pay the $500 credit.

Now with the $500 credit to not disclosure - it opens the door for potential lawsuits (future). But often judges stress "let the buyer beware".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: