Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,809,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Wow, my 4 year old is more mature than this. You've been shown to be wrong about the location of the West Village by everyone here, and your solution is to tell people to go away. You claim to have lived there, so either:
A) you're a bold faced liar and actually live in your Grandmother's basement in Albany, or
B) you have no idea where you live even after several years

Either way you walk away looking pretty bad lol
Oh boy.........
Look up my pasts post Einstein. I lived on Sullivan between Bleeker and West 3 for years.
That area is the West Village....8 St between 5th and 6th is the West Village...
Maybe on your little map it's technicallllllllllllllly not.
To everybody else living there it is.
Read this S L O W L Y...
Then re-read it if you need too.
The area is usually defined as bounded by the Hudson River on the west and either Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue on the east, extending from 14th Street down to Houston Street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 10:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaggerLee22 View Post
Oh boy.........
Look up my pasts post Einstein. I lived on Sullivan between Bleeker and West 3 for years.
That area is the West Village....8 St between 5th and 6th is the West Village...
Maybe on your little map it's technicallllllllllllllly not.
To everybody else living there it is.
Read this S L O W L Y...
Then re-read it if you need too.
The area is usually defined as bounded by the Hudson River on the west and either Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue on the east, extending from 14th Street down to Houston Street.
It almost looked like you picked choice B, but apparently you decided to make a third choice up all by yourself:
  • C) Read an entire encyclopedic entry incorrectly, pretend it says something different, then come back and post on the internet to some random guy (me) that he should read like a retard

That takes some kind of special talent!!!

StaggerLee22:
"8 St between 5th and 6th is the West Village"

Article StaggerLee22 Posted:
"The area is usually defined as bounded by the Hudson River on the west and either Sixth Avenue or Seventh Avenue on the east"

Old 06-16-2013, 02:42 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
You'll need to find a real estate developer to come up with a cutesy name for the area between 14th and 20th, 5th and 6th. West Union?
I'd be afraid finding a cute little name like west union would cause an instant 10% spike in rents

Old 06-16-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Well here's a riddle for you boundary czars....I lived on 15th btwn 5th and 6th. Too east for Chelsea, too west for union square, too south for flatiron, too north for g village. Did I even truly exist while living in this no mans land?
There's a few of those black holes, like on the east side 24th through about 30th street roughly 2nd to 3rd, (maybe 1st to lex). Too North for Gramercy, too South for Murray Hill, not quite Kips Bay

Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
Well here's a riddle for you boundary czars....I lived on 15th btwn 5th and 6th. Too east for Chelsea, too west for union square, too south for flatiron, too north for g village. Did I even truly exist while living in this no mans land?

Well, an in-law lived between Fifth and Sixth Ave and 15th and 16th St. She lived in a large complex called appropriately THE CHELSEA LANE.

So, very much Chelsea.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM

424 posts, read 973,573 times
/\ Yeah, what is that area 14th- 17th Street called in between 5th to 6th Ave? Every time I cross 14th Street at Fifth Avenue headed north I always wonder what that area is or if it's part of Greenwich Village... I'm sure some developers will band together and come up with a silly name for it like "Greenwich Village North, "Flatiron South" or "East Chelsea (aka EaChe)"

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
All this bickering over what neighborhood ends where and no one bothers to go to nyc.gov to look up the official neighborhood map? Here it is:

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

You're welcome.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
All this bickering over what neighborhood ends where and no one bothers to go to nyc.gov to look up the official neighborhood map? Here it is:

City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

You're welcome.
Nothing is ever official, and I've yet to ever see a single comprehensive map anywhere - probably because it's impossible. On that map, for example, the financial "district" is listed, yet none of the other districts are listed (meatpacking, garment, flower, diamond, etc..). That one map doesn't even have Kip's bay, NoLiTa, Alphabet City (among others). There's also never any mention of non-chinatown ethnic areas like K-Town, little India, little Brazil, etc.. and if that's bad enough the federal government (post office) has it's own myriad list of neighborhood names associated with zip codes. And this is just for Manhattan

Old 06-18-2013, 01:14 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,264,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Nothing is ever official, and I've yet to ever see a single comprehensive map anywhere - probably because it's impossible. On that map, for example, the financial "district" is listed, yet none of the other districts are listed (meatpacking, garment, flower, diamond, etc..). That one map doesn't even have Kip's bay, NoLiTa, Alphabet City (among others). There's also never any mention of non-chinatown ethnic areas like K-Town, little India, little Brazil, etc.. and if that's bad enough the federal government (post office) has it's own myriad list of neighborhood names associated with zip codes. And this is just for Manhattan
It does mention the disputed neighborhoods mentioned above. I don't know what is more official if its not this map at nyc.gov -- though it seems boundaries are always changing.

The other boroughs have their own neighborhood maps elsewhere on the site.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:28 PM

11 posts, read 30,135 times
anywayyyyy.... now that you guys are done bickering. What's going on with the West Village?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City