Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 02:58 PM

424 posts, read 974,440 times

Advertisements

I've been watching this area change quite a bit within the past year or so and have been wondering what's going on? I have to say; I haven't seen as many business close and buildings get torn down in Manhattan as in this West Village.

West 8th Street has nearly every business is closed from 6th to 5th Avenue, St Vincent's is about to be torn down as many know but I stopped in my tracks a few months ago when I noticed the entire block kitty corner to it across Greenwich Street was being torn down also. These were prewar 12 story apartment buildings which only last year or so had affluent residents living in them. Now only the facades of the building exist, pretty shocking for what was a high end apartment building. Another $1 co-op apartment building at 12th Street and Fifth Avenue looks like it's about to be torn down also since it's covered in an enormous tent. Isn't that a landmarked section of the neighborhood? Hudson Street/ 8th Avenue is also suddenly in flux.

Did a land development company buy up the entire neighborhood or something? I know I sound like Jane Jacobs but this happened fast, even by Manhattan standards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 03:18 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanson View Post
I've been watching this area change quite a bit within the past year or so and have been wondering what's going on? I have to say; I haven't seen as many business close and buildings get torn down in Manhattan as in this West Village.

West 8th Street has nearly every business is closed from 6th to 5th Avenue, St Vincent's is about to be torn down as many know but I stopped in my tracks a few months ago when I noticed the entire block kitty corner to it across Greenwich Street was being torn down also. These were prewar 12 story apartment buildings which only last year or so had affluent residents living in them. Now only the facades of the building exist, pretty shocking for what was a high end apartment building. Another $1 co-op apartment building at 12th Street and Fifth Avenue looks like it's about to be torn down also since it's covered in an enormous tent. Isn't that a landmarked section of the neighborhood? Hudson Street/ 8th Avenue is also suddenly in flux.

Did a land development company buy up the entire neighborhood or something? I know I sound like Jane Jacobs but this happened fast, even by Manhattan standards
White flight.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:29 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
White flight.
Makes no sense to me. Greenwich Village is close to everything and has some good spots to eat.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:39 PM

499 posts, read 794,259 times
Quote:

Eighth Street has been struggling for awhile now.

St. Vincent's closed and they're demolishing the big ugly Sixth Avenue building for a similar sized condominium. Those building along 12th were part of the hospital and are being converted to apartments.

The building at 12th and Fifth is being renovated.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:42 PM

424 posts, read 974,440 times
/\ Thanks. Got worried NYU got a bit too development happy and decided to raze a good chunk of the neighborhood.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:44 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,714,595 times
I believe a lot of long term leases are expiring in that area. There is a lot of renovations, new tenants, and U/C buildings there.

Quote:
/\ Thanks. Got worried NYU got a bit too development happy and decided to raze a good chunk of the neighborhood.
Actually the New School just completed their new campus building at West 14th and 5th ave. It looks pretty good too.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:59 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
I thought this was going to be a thread about the rising crime in the area. Seems more dodgy these days.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:33 PM

756 posts, read 2,279,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
I thought this was going to be a thread about the rising crime in the area. Seems more dodgy these days.
It is. I live near 7th Avenue and Bleecker and the area by the West 4th station near IFC has gotten worse and worse. This will be my fourth year here and it's progressively getting worse and worse...

Not to mention that every "new" retail store that opens in either a macaron or yogurt shop. It seems like there is less and less in the neighborhood for the people who actually live here. It's still a beautiful place, and I'll always love it, but this is one of several reasons why we're moving to the East Village in August.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:29 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,449 times
Have you seen 6th avenue around that area lately? It is absolutely disguisting. I lived on 15th st. btwn 5th and 6th avenue, and walking to 6th was like walking to a different city. It gets even worse down around 8th street. Vagrants hanging around, people relieving themselves where ever they choose, absolutely disguisting what has happened in that area. Even union square has turned into a freak show.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:38 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:

Everything you mentioned there save for Greenwich St. is Greenwich Village, not the West Village
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City