Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:20 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,522,239 times

Advertisements

There is absolutely nothing funny about a suicide. You're sick if you think it's funny..or very immature. The guy probably had parents, siblings or maybe a spouse and kids. If anything, he probably had a dog or cat. I feel for all of them....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 03:21 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique13 View Post
The guy probably had parents, siblings or maybe a spouse and kids. If anything, he probably had a dog or cat. I feel for all of them....
He obviously didn't care about his parents, siblings, spouse or kids or he wouldn't have killed himself. Why should we care more about his family than he did?

Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM

11 posts, read 30,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
He obviously didn't care about his parents, siblings, spouse or kids or he wouldn't have killed himself. Why should we care more about his family than he did?
Uhhh, because we're good people who aren't dealing with suicidal ideation?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:40 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
I can see clearly why he did it HOW he did it.
It is the act of someone who is making a clear statement to company, his family, lover, society that "THIS is what you drove me to, I hope you are satisfied. I hope you choke on the sight of my mangled body."

My choice would be precisely the opposite...book a cruise and in mid Atlantic strap myself with weights and jump at 3 AM...to disappear quietly and be eaten by fish.

But I can see the point of people making a LOUD statement. Think of the Buddhist monks who immolated themselves in Vietnam with one goal...to make sure the entire world takes notice.

Did they ever delve into the particulars of this guy's life?

Old 06-22-2013, 04:19 PM

7,352 posts, read 6,521,770 times
It's not really the guy we should be mad at, it's the boneheaded authorities who insist on turning a simple event into a multi-hour ordeal. Replace the operator (ensuring they get counseling), make sure the train is functional, and get traffic moving again. Then they can play detective all they want in between trains. Why should the state allow a single individual, to disrupt millions? Before anyone starts whining about "think of the family" well, think of MY family! What if I'm headed to a job interview because the police decide they want to shut things down for hours, and I lose the job, because I'm stuck on some train in between stations and can't feed my family? Or I miss my doctor's appointment, and have to reschedule, and a previously treatable cancer that would have been caught, has spread and is now inoperable? Why should one dead guy's rights, exceed the rights of the living? Yes, I know I don't live in/near New York yet, but I see the same kind of crap all around Atlanta. One tiny little fender bender on the shoulder, and the fire trucks are spread across three lanes, with everyone standing around just gawking instead of working. If there's a fire, sure, put it out however necessary, but when it's out MOVE THE WHOLE CIRCUS OFF TO THE SIDE! Sure, block a single lane to extricate a survivor, but re-open it when they're out. If they're dead, use the cute little push bumpers on the cruisers to shove the mess out of the way.

Old 06-22-2013, 08:24 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I can see clearly why he did it HOW he did it.
It is the act of someone who is making a clear statement to company, his family, lover, society that "THIS is what you drove me to, I hope you are satisfied. I hope you choke on the sight of my mangled body."

My choice would be precisely the opposite...book a cruise and in mid Atlantic strap myself with weights and jump at 3 AM...to disappear quietly and be eaten by fish.

But I can see the point of people making a LOUD statement. Think of the Buddhist monks who immolated themselves in Vietnam with one goal...to make sure the entire world takes notice.

Did they ever delve into the particulars of this guy's life?
It might not even be that exactly, although I also see choosing that method of suicide as making a statement. They want everyone to know they existed. They don't feel as if their life was worth much or noticed much, but they are going to make sure they are remembered by their death. People who use public transporation as a suicide method know they are going to screw up some strangers' everyday lives, even if for a few hours, and it's something that they could control in a life that had no control.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It might not even be that exactly, although I also see choosing that method of suicide as making a statement. They want everyone to know they existed. They don't feel as if their life was worth much or noticed much, but they are going to make sure they are remembered by their death. People who use public transporation as a suicide method know they are going to screw up some strangers' everyday lives, even if for a few hours, and it's something that they could control in a life that had no control.
The thing is, the only way I knew this happened was because they were making announcements all over the subway system that there were no N or Q trains to Astoria at rush hour because of a police investigation. So being too curious as usual I search twitter and find out every detail. The next day there was ZERO coverage in any of the papers. So if this guy was looking to get remembered, almost no one learned of his story and I don't think a single person on this message board (including me) knows his name

Old 06-23-2013, 04:26 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
The thing is, the only way I knew this happened was because they were making announcements all over the subway system that there were no N or Q trains to Astoria at rush hour because of a police investigation. So being too curious as usual I search twitter and find out every detail. The next day there was ZERO coverage in any of the papers. So if this guy was looking to get remembered, almost no one learned of his story and I don't think a single person on this message board (including me) knows his name
That's not exactly what I meant. Not that they would memorialized, or their name would be remembered, but instead of just being the decomposing drug-overdose body found in the apartment, they made a statement, had a small impact, by their death. Who knows, though. You can't exactly ask a person who commits suicide that way what they were thinking when they decided to jump in front of a train.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
A few years ago I was suicidal. I was reeling from years of depression borne from an inability to reconcile my sexual orientation with my faith and conservative family, severe budget issues, a demoralizing boss, being jilted by a prospective suitor, and immense loneliness simultaneously. Friends left me because they couldn't handle letting me vent to them. I then turned to vent publicly on Facebook, where people were judgmental and self-righteous instead of compassionate or empathetic. I became sicker and more despondent with each passing week. I took an unpaid leave of absence from work. I would spend hours just lying on my floor in the fetal position crying. I eventually felt like such a burden upon society that I canceled my therapy.

One day I was in my kitchen holding a serrated steak knife against my bare chest. I then thought about OTHERS for a change of pace. I thought about neighbors being exposed to the odor of my rotting corpse. I thought about the apartment community manager having to pay someone to sanitize and disinfect the kitchen of my blood. I thought about first responders having to carry me out in a body bag. I thought about the guilt those "friends" and those on Facebook who absconded from me would feel for the rest of their lives if they just let me kill myself while willfully ignoring the warning signs. I dropped the knife.

Yes, it's a shame this man was so distraught. It's also reprehensible and inexcusable that he decided to "make a statement" selfishly by obliterating himself in front of traumatized strangers. If suicide was unavoidable in his eyes, then why not take a bunch of pills and then lay down?

Old 06-24-2013, 04:45 AM

289 posts, read 399,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annypzt View Post
That's just terrible. Poor person! RIP.
The person has a family. Maybe a little respect would be nice. Sorry he caused you to miss jeopardy. RIP.
Thanks for copying and reposting my post from page 1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City