Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 05:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
i work in Wakefield with most who don't live in Riverdale. when i am asked by co workers where I live i always say "Broadway and 252nd street, across from Van Cortlandt Park". VC Park goes thru Kingsbridge Heights(Van Cortlandt Park South), Norwood (W Gun Hill Rd) and Woodlawn (Van Cortlandt Park East) so it's not just exclusive to Riverdale

in an environment with indigent people or working with those who live outside Riverdale, i feel it's best not to say "Riverdale"
I live in Wakefield. Personally, I'd care less if you said you live in Riverdale . Ultimately, its just another Bronx neighborhood. If you tell me you have a building on Park Avenue and a country estate upstate, I might care.

The real money DOES NOT LIVE in Riverdale. Its as far from Manhattan as Wakefield, and the homes and yards you get (in terms of size) are NOTHING to brag about. I've seen huge estates before, and you don't have them in Riverdale.

Riverdale may be more well to do than Morrisania, but it is nowhere near one of the wealthiest, trendiest, or most popular neighborhoods in the city. Its basically an unknown neighborhood.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:02 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,686,080 times
i agree, NY writer

Old 06-15-2013, 06:04 PM

Broadway and 252 street(where I live) will never be trendy any time soon.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:10 PM

but you gotta remember that there are some people (i find this in women mostly who are the drama queen type) who will hear "Riverdale" as "I'm better". in fact, a drama queen/martyr/very jealous and insecure type co worker asked me where i lived (she lives in Fordham) and i told her i lived on Broadway and 252 street. she asked "by that Target store?" and i said "yeah not far from there".

i was serving jury duty 3 years ago. everybody lives in the southern Bronx except for myself and 2 other people. one girl told everybody she lived on Bailey and 231 street. several people were like "where is THAT?"

Old 06-15-2013, 06:23 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You know, rlrl, that's a great way to describe Bailey, especially through VCV, above the Greek Orthodox church, because prevailing speeds seem to increase on the roadway because of a lack of a gridded traffic pattern, not to mention people trying to avoid congestion on Broadway. By nature, though, Bailey is an alternative to a stopped Deegan, starting in the South Bronx.

There is NYCHA property on Bailey, but the only issues I have ever heard were within the complex, though given th differences on Bailey and Albany Crescent from areas west of The Deegan in terms of neighborhood feel, I can see how that area of Kingsbridge could have more of a crime issue. Not VCV, though, because it's stable and majority co-op owners, but there is a pocket of Bailey that I would not be surprised to see an outbreak of crime through Kingsbridge, partially because of its relative isolation.

Are you aware VCV includes the areas you mentioned like Albany Cresent and such?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Cor...#Housing_costs
Attached Thumbnails
What's going on in Riverdale?-17living-map-popup.jpg  

Last edited by Mistertee; 06-15-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 06:38 PM

bmwguy knows the area very well

Old 06-15-2013, 06:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I live in Wakefield. Personally, I'd care less if you said you live in Riverdale . Ultimately, its just another Bronx neighborhood. If you tell me you have a building on Park Avenue and a country estate upstate, I might care.

The real money DOES NOT LIVE in Riverdale. Its as far from Manhattan as Wakefield, and the homes and yards you get (in terms of size) are NOTHING to brag about. I've seen huge estates before, and you don't have them in Riverdale.

Riverdale may be more well to do than Morrisania, but it is nowhere near one of the wealthiest, trendiest, or most popular neighborhoods in the city. Its basically an unknown neighborhood.
HA! I guess all of the multi-million dollar mansions in Riverdale isn't real money. You clearly have no clue about where the wealthiest neighborhoods are.

http://wnyc.tumblr.com/post/13932583...-neighborhoods

You can hover over the neighborhoods in Riverdale and see the median household income.

The purple spots are the wealthiest neighborhoods... In Manhattan I see the purple areas on the Upper West and Upper East Side and in a lot of areas below that. All of Riverdale is shaded some sort of purple, even the "poorer" parts along Broadway in the non-splashy part of Riverdale as rlrl would say so I think you need to re-think what you said.

Last edited by Grosvenor; 06-15-2013 at 07:09 PM..

Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,400,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Are you aware VCV includes the areas you mentioned like Albany Cresent and such?

Van Cortlandt Village - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Part of it, yes, as Bailey is the boundary. The area of Albany Crescent that I think is isolated is west of Bailey, which should still be Kingsbridge. The core of VCV is away from Kingsbridge, though, and more stable than Deegan-adjacent blocks. As a whole, VCV is a better area than Kingsbridge east of the Deegan.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-16-2013, 06:53 AM

not sure if Albany Crescent east of Bailey would be VCV. I think the border is around Giles Place or Ft Independence St. Albany Crescent might be a little too far south to be VCV. The area starts to decline a notch around Albany Crescent tho it's by no means "bad" per se. In fact Sedgwick Avenue around Reservoir Ave, 197th, 195th looks much better these days. I remember back in the late 80's there was an abandoned building on Sedgwick and lots of graffiti

Old 06-16-2013, 07:17 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Part of it, yes, as Bailey is the boundary. The area of Albany Crescent that I think is isolated is west of Bailey, which should still be Kingsbridge. The core of VCV is away from Kingsbridge, though, and more stable than Deegan-adjacent blocks. As a whole, VCV is a better area than Kingsbridge east of the Deegan.
Only 1 reason to go to Albany Crescent, Best burger in the Bronx Pipers kilt!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City