Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2013, 03:55 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,547,497 times

Advertisements

Many black ppl are moving to and investing in Riverdale nowadays, after being priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Its a great move because this area in particular can use more diversity.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:57 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
You mentioned Riverdale being a majority White upper middle class neighborhood before. While it is not on the scale of the UES it may be that some residents employ Black women as Nanny's and Domestic workers, as well the nursing homes that employ workers. This is not to say that they would only employ Black women. But you may not identify the ones that are White, as being workers in this category .
Well I am well aware of the amount of Black women working as nurses or home attendants because we have a large elderly population. The nannies I've seen employed are of various ethnicities. I'd say most of them are not Black, but some are. Most of the Black women I see here are nurses are home attendants traveling from other neighborhoods. What I've been noticing of late is Black women especially coming here and hanging out which is odd. I could see that on the Upper East Side, but Riverdale isn't exactly hip. I mean what Black person comes to Riverdale of all places for Latin cuisine? I saw two Black women on Sunday eating at a Latin restaurant (and they weren't Black Hispanics either) and they were certainly getting stares because the whole scene was rather odd. Almost as if they were there purposely to make their presence. One of those we need some color in this area type of set ups.

I was driving around in the area to run some errands and they were there for what seemed like at least a few hours if not more, which is also odd.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertee View Post
Many black ppl are moving to and investing in Riverdale nowadays, after being priced out of Manhattan and Brooklyn. Its a great move because this area in particular can use more diversity.
Yeah but why would they move here? That's what puzzles me. There is no night life here so the place is dead at night and any place with any sort of night life is mainly Hispanic in Kingsbridge. It would make more sense to move to an area where there are more Black people, not less of them.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:00 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
In Morris Park? So in other words, is that supposed to explain the influx of Hispanics in Morris Park?

What exactly is the advantage of "blockbusting" though?
No,it doesn't explain the influx of Hispanics in Morris Park.The influx of Hispanics in Morris Park is explained by simple demographic patterns.

The advantage of blockbusting is simple and it is always the same.Scare people into selling their houses for less than they are worth.

Sometimes blockbusting is used by developers to assemble adjoining parcels for a bigger project and more frequently it is used by individuals or smaller real estate people to simply get properties for as cheap as possible and flip them or get them as cheap as possible and rent them out through section 8 to get the highest rents. Either way, it can be destructive to a neighborhood if enough people get scared and sell out.

Quite simply,it's a way to make money.

Did you ever think though,Grosvenor, that there might now be people going to Riverdale to check it out because of this thread you created
that is titled "what's going on in Riverdale?" It's been viewed by 3,500 people in the last few weeks,most of them probably your fellow Bronxites, who naturally would want to see the neighborhood in question.Sort of like hilltopjay who keeps praying for Bronx gentrification while emphasizing how ghetto and uncivilized he thinks it is.Kind of a strange dichotomy,right ?

If you don't want strangers in Riverdale it's probably better not to talk about Riverdale too much because all the talk raises interest.

Last edited by bluedog2; 06-25-2013 at 04:10 PM..

Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,it doesn't explain the influx of Hispanics in Morris Park.The influx of Hispanics in Morris Park is explained by simple demographic patterns.

The advantage of blockbusting is simple and it is always the same.Scare people into selling their houses for less than they are worth.

Sometimes blockbusting is used by developers to assemble adjoining parcels for a bigger project and more frequently it is used by individuals or smaller real estate people to simply get properties for as cheap as possible and flip them or get them as cheap as possible and rent them out through section 8 to get the highest rents. Either way, it can be destructive to a neighborhood if enough people get scared and sell out.

That's really a shame because Morris Park is really a nice neighborhood. There is still an Italian presence there but the population is becoming increasingly older and as families are broken up by death, more people will probably sell with more Italians moving on. Would be a shame to see Morris Park decline to the likes of the neighborhoods next to it like Van Nest.

I honestly don't see Riverdale's White population declining the same way because there's an influx of young White families moving/buying here from Manhattan. Then you have the Jewish population coming here that continues to grow so I still see the White population as being relatively healthy.

I think once the economy improves and the prices go up again here things will sort of stabilize.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
That's really a shame because Morris Park is really a nice neighborhood. There is still an Italian presence there but the population is becoming increasingly older and as families are broken up by death, more people will probably sell with more Italians moving on. Would be a shame to see Morris Park decline to the likes of the neighborhoods next to it like Van Nest.

I honestly don't see Riverdale's White population declining the same way because there's an influx of young White families moving/buying here from Manhattan. Then you have the Jewish population coming here that continues to grow so I still see the White population as being relatively healthy.

I think once the economy improves and the prices go up again here things will sort of stabilize.
Prices should be going up already.They are everywhere else.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Prices should be going up already.They are everywhere else.
They are here too, just not as quickly as I would like. The more expensive the better. The one thing Riverdale doesn't have is lots of rentals which I'd say is also something that will keep it Whiter, since you need good credit to own and to be able to borrow money. That's probably why most of the Bronx went down the drain. Lots of rentals is a recipe for disaster. Just draws all of the lower class types in and the neighborhood goes to the dogs.

Quote:

Did you ever think though,Grosvenor, that there might now be people going to Riverdale to check it out because of this thread you created
that is titled "what's going on in Riverdale?" It's been viewed by 3,500 people in the last few weeks,most of them probably your fellow Bronxites, who naturally would want to see the neighborhood in question.Sort of like hilltopjay who keeps praying for Bronx gentrification while emphasizing how ghetto and uncivilized he thinks it is.Kind of a strange dichotomy,right ?

If you don't want strangers in Riverdale it's probably better not to talk about Riverdale too much because all the talk raises interest.
Ha! Well there is nothing to see here. Just a boring safe neighborhood. I don't think that would interest too many people.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
They are here too, just not as quickly as I would like. The more expensive the better. The one thing Riverdale doesn't have is lots of rentals which I'd say is also something that will keep it Whiter, since you need good credit to own and to be able to borrow money. That's probably why most of the Bronx went down the drain. Lots of rentals is a recipe for disaster. Just draws all of the lower class types in and the neighborhood goes to the dogs.

You mean lots of rentals like the UES ? Probably 95% rentals there.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:37 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Quote:

What really changed MP and Da Neck was the banking crisis. No document loans or no money down. Greedy developers would buy single family homes and make way for a 3 family home. Can't get a renter? No problem section 8 will fill the vacuum. I watched one particular block in the Neck that went from EIGHT families to over 50! The bulk of the block is section 8. I salute Jimmy Vacca for trying to stem this but the horse is long gone from the barn. Also Grovs, the fastest growing demographic grp in the USA is latinos. Get used to it.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
What really changed MP and Da Neck was the banking crisis. No document loans or no money down. Greedy developers would buy single family homes and make way for a 3 family home. Can't get a renter? No problem section 8 will fill the vacuum. I watched one particular block in the Neck that went from EIGHT families to over 50! The bulk of the block is section 8. I salute Jimmy Vacca for trying to stem this but the horse is long gone from the barn. Also Grovs, the fastest growing demographic grp in the USA is latinos. Get used to it.
Yeah but I was talking about the Black population not the Hispanic population. Kingsbridge is the closest neighborhood to Riverdale, so of course there would be Hispanics here. The Hispanics that live here are fine. Hard working professional types. The ones that visit from the Bronx however tend to be rowdy.

Quote:
[/b]

You mean lots of rentals like the UES ? Probably 95% rentals there.
The UES is expensive though. Ideally I would like to see the prices go up for buying properties here so that the prices of the few rentals we have here can go up and keep the neighborhood desirable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City