Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 10:36 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
It's not about being ashamed. We have nothing to be ashamed about living in Riverdale. It's just the way things are done here. People need to accept it and move on.
Hint: we are not the ones who need to accept anything. You are the one with the massive inferiority complex about the borough in which you chose to live!

Old 07-05-2013, 10:52 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Hint: we are not the ones who need to accept anything. You are the one with the massive inferiority complex about the borough in which you chose to live!
Yeah me and my fellow neighbors, we all have "inferiority complexes" because we live in Riverdale.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:13 AM

340 posts, read 1,185,338 times
Quote:
It's not my "theory". It's part of living in Riverdale, NY. Get over it already.

Riverdale, Manhattan, NY - Google Maps

u can do that with mott haven on google also. does that mean that mott haven is not part of the Bronx anymore and has achieved its own special status as riverdale u fool?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=mott+...&ved=0CJIBELYD

one more thing, if u live on the street that ur user name implies check this out
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=grosv...ed=0CDAQ8gEwAA

Old 07-05-2013, 11:39 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Yeah me and my fellow neighbors, we all have "inferiority complexes" because we live in Riverdale.
Apparently you do. It's weird, but you have spent dozens, maybe HUNDREDS of posts trying to convince total strangers of something that is simply not true. My conclusion is that you are doing this because you have a massive inferiority complex about where you live. Otherwise, you wouldn't waste your time trying to convince the public that your neighborhood is not part of the Bronx.

I suggest that you find a new hobby/obsession, because this one isn't working out. You haven't convinced anyone (except maybe for a few minutes one poster who lives in Toronto) that you don't live in the Bronx.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Apparently you do. It's weird, but you have spent dozens, maybe HUNDREDS of posts trying to convince total strangers of something that is simply not true. My conclusion is that you are doing this because you have a massive inferiority complex about where you live. Otherwise, you wouldn't waste your time trying to convince the public that your neighborhood is not part of the Bronx.

I suggest that you find a new hobby/obsession, because this one isn't working out. You haven't convinced anyone (except maybe for a few minutes one poster who lives in Toronto) that you don't live in the Bronx.
That's because I find it amusing that so many people would be hell bent on trying to dictate to someone about where they live at and trying to do so in a way that "puts me in my place", which I will not accept. I live here along with my neighbors and whatever we want to call our neighborhood is our choice, whether you or anyone else likes it.

You don't see me trying to dictate to you about where you live at. Live and let live.

To quote a Riverdalian such as myself "There’s a status associated with living in Riverdale and the status is that it’s not really part of the Bronx,” said Betty Begley, who considers herself a mid-central-north Riverdale resident."

Source: http://riverdalepress.com/stories/Ri...-on-maps,36660

Last edited by Grosvenor; 07-05-2013 at 12:14 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 01:23 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
If you go on vacation out of town and someone asks where are you from and you respond "riverdale" and they have no clue where you are talking about, to generalize for them would you say it is in the Bronx? Or that it is a place in between manhattan and westchester?

Old 07-05-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
If you go on vacation out of town and someone asks where are you from and you respond "riverdale" and they have no clue where you are talking about, to generalize for them would you say it is in the Bronx? Or that it is a place in between manhattan and westchester?
I just say I live in Riverdale near Westchester, which is true. Quite frankly we have more in common with Westchester anyway being that Riverdale has more of a suburban feel and is a bedroom community. Most Riverdalians I know don't associate themselves with the Bronx or travel within the Bronx so they're either traveling to Westchester or Manhattan from Riverdale. It's not a question of being part of Bronx as it is different types of lifestyles. If they inquire further then yes, I say we're between Manhattan and Westchester, which is also true.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:15 PM

13,447 posts, read 15,466,742 times
Quote:
To answer your question, my aunt, who lives in Riverdale, says "Bronx". Virtually no one who doesn't reside in the New York area knows of, or gives a beep about Riverdale. There are only five boroughs of New York City. One day there will be six, because you know, Riverdale is so special.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
To answer your question, my aunt, who lives in Riverdale, says "Bronx". Virtually no one who doesn't reside in the New York area knows of, or gives a beep about Riverdale. There are only five boroughs of New York City. One day there will be six, because you know, Riverdale is so special.
Well you may speak for your aunt if she even lives here, but you don't speak for me or anyone else for that matter. For someone who doesn't give a "beep" about Riverdale, you insist on trying to tell us about our neighborhood.

What's funnier is you say you live in Texas but you're so involved in New York City issues. Makes no sense to me.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:20 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,125,537 times
Quote:
Um not exactly.
Um, exactly. They're trying to deny that they're part of a certain borough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Also, what's the toniest part of Staten Island?
Todt Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Riverdale is culturally homogenous, eh? Could've fooled me! Dude, you're delusional. Like I said, anyone who makes a decent-good salary and decent credit can live in Riverdale, no big secret. 29% of Riverdale's population is not White. Unless there's a goon squad I don't know about that firebombs apartments if you're not White, get used to seeing non-White people in your area.
Actually, it's 32% non-White, and it's probably increased since the last census (especially considering that the OP was so concerned that he decided to make a whole thread about it )

Quote:
HA! I'll take 70%. That's what most suburban White neighborhoods have these days... As for me, maybe I'll be a minority in another life. Then again maybe I'm already a minority since the Hispanic population is growing so rapidly. The White man is the odd man out these days.
Biracial people are most certainly a minority in the U.S.

Quote:
Well I forget who it was but a few posters have said that Forest Hills and Kew Gardens have lots of Asians these days.
Whites are still over 50% of the population over there.

Quote:
Also white people take the F to Jamaica Estates. The E connects to the main LIRR hub and airtrain in Jamaica, which I'm sure many white people use.
Jamaica is a big hub for the buses in SE Queens, which is mostly black (though Jamaica itself is mostly Hispanic). But there are a lot of White people who use it in Manhattan, and to/from LIC (for that matter, White people even use it in Jackson Heights. Aside from the White people in the neighborhood itself, there are also buses that go out to White neighborhoods like Glendale).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City