Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 08:35 PM

76 posts, read 357,130 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My husband and I are planning an extended vacation to New York in March and are considering staying at the La Qunita inn on Queens Blvd in Long Island City.Is this area considered safe we plan on doing a lot of sight seeing and coming in late on the subway ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2007, 05:26 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
If it's a vacation, why not splurge and stay in Manhattan?

Old 11-06-2007, 08:15 AM

76 posts, read 357,130 times
We will be staying over a period of a month and Manhattan prices really add up after awhile. I rather save the money on hotel and spend it own leisure unless the area is unsafe.If anyone says that I it's not safe for tourist I will pick Manhattan in a heartbeat.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:45 AM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,811 times
Yes it is a safe neighborhood,the only problem that I would see over there are 2 high schools,(Aviation HS,and Queens Vocational HS). Kids can get pretty rowdy at times. Just stay on Queens Blvd and you will be allright,it is mostly an industrial area. Going towards Queens Plaza the area changes for the worst. You are a short subway ride into the city.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:52 AM

62 posts, read 205,509 times
The neighborhood is fine , and as stated previously, a very short train commute to midtown. My points are that that hotel is almost completely amidst fast food restaurants and the elevated train (that would be the way into midtown) is RIGHT outside the windows and keep in mind they run 24/7 and that is an older subway line so the trains are quite noisy. But , all in all, it will be much more cost effective and probably just as safe to stay there as opposed to Manhattan. Also , a lot of interesting sights are not in Manhattan and a car will be necessary, there is some parking at that hotel but plenty of on street parking (just check the signs they would love to ticket and TOW a rental car)

Good luck and enjoy NYC
SGC

Old 11-06-2007, 10:03 AM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
One of the best things about NYC is the public transportation. You do not need a car. (Besides, rental cars in NYC are insanely expensive.)

Among the subway, buses, Metro-North, Long Island Railroad, and Jersey Transit, you can see an overwhelming amount of the greater metropolitan area.

You may want to look at Craig's List for an apt for a month so you could also save by having an kitchen to cook in.

Good luck! You are going to have a fantastic time!

Old 11-06-2007, 10:09 AM
KB4

1,032 posts, read 1,639,009 times
Look into "holiday apartments". When my friends came to New York last year, they stayed at a furnished 1-bedroom in Murray Hill for $2300 a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City