Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 01:22 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,246,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
From the DSNY website: DSNY - Job Opportunities ...
Now the question is; are Sanitation workers able to retire with lifetime health and pension benefits after 22 yrs of service?
You were on the website. You could have looked further, but chose not to:
"The job has excellent medical benefits; retirement after 20 years with half-pay; 11 paid holidays; 18 paid vacation days increasing to 25 days after five years; and great promotional advancement opportunities."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 01:35 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
You were on the website. You could have looked further, but chose not to:
"The job has excellent medical benefits; retirement after 20 years with half-pay; 11 paid holidays; 18 paid vacation days increasing to 25 days after five years; and great promotional advancement opportunities."

You mind posting the link to the section where you saw it?

I did look but couldn't find it.

In any case, we have established that Garbage men start out making less and cap their salary at a lower rate than their NYPD counterparts.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:48 PM

19,071 posts, read 14,002,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So much for radically and unrecognizable changes.

Anyways, this past weekend I watched probably of one the most interesting police movies I've seen in a long time.

It's called 'End of Watch'.... I highly recommend it to all the police folks who frequent CD.
There's WAY more to it than that simple tidbit on the website. You know absolutely nothing about the Tier III pension, period.

For example smart guy, Tier III pensions will be adjusted due to social security benefits. There's no 3/4 disability pensions any longer unless the officer/FF also qualifies for SS disability. Look up ITHP, the guaranteed interest rate and contributions...

Again, unrecognizeable and radically different.

There's plenty of other changes. But hey, believe what you want my man. You usually do anyway.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:55 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,246,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You know absolutely nothing about the Tier III pension, period. ... Tier III pensions will be adjusted due to social security benefits. There's no 3/4 disability pensions any longer unless the officer/FF also qualifies for SS disability. Look up ITHP, the guaranteed interest rate and contributions ...
Bogus disability pensions & including OT into the calculations are overwhelming the pension system & would bankrupt it eventually, if unchecked.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Overtime is a tough one in my opinion because these guys are being forced to do some of it. Forced overtime should definitely be pensionable.

And FD has always had far more 3/4 than PD.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,692,755 times
Quote:
Overtime is a tough one in my opinion because these guys are being forced to do some of it. Forced overtime should definitely be pensionable.

And FD has always had far more 3/4 than PD.
A lot more physical job. Not saying being a police officer is not dangerous but not as physical. BTW under the new tier 6 3/4 is now 44%. Also 22.5 years for retirement plus some other adjustments.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Yeah true, fighting EDPs is pretty easy. I didn't think about that.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Just to be clear, I'm not sympathetic to anything related to fdny employee problems. Any job that allows one to get a full night's sleep on the job and work 8 days a month is a scam in my opinion. Nothing will change my mind on that one.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Yeah true, fighting EDPs is pretty easy. I didn't think about that.
Not saying it is! Just an opinion from seeing both sides of the "Game". You can be be a police officer and "Hide out". Inside details where in the firehouse the bell sounds and all go.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Just to be clear, I'm not sympathetic to anything related to fdny employee problems. Any job that allows one to get a full night's sleep on the job and work 8 days a month is a scam in my opinion. Nothing will change my mind on that one.
Now your being a idiot. Seen cops skate for 20 years screaming the usual mantra 20 and out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City