Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 06:41 PM

857 posts, read 1,203,429 times

Advertisements

Ive been reading the threads on and off in this forum as well as the DC one......it seems a common theme on these threads is "oh, this neighborhood is ripe to be gentrified!" "perfect new area for the urban pioneer!!!" and stuff like that....and it seems that there are ppl taht are hell bent in seeing the bronx get swept into the gentrification wave..........

I have my own personal feelings on gentrification but im going to try and put them aside and be objective when i ask.........

Whats the frantic rush in converting a good portion of NYC into yuppie and hipster colonies? Whats the obsession into turning major retail strips into meccas of overpriced (yes it is overpriced) organic and vegan food markets, yoga studios and other staples of yuppified neighborhoods?

Urban renewal and revitilization is certainly not a bad idea, but whats the mad dash to erase the working class cultures and character of these areas? This is the character that gave NYC its soul and spirit for so many years (and no im not jus talking the ghettos, the immigrant enclaves are also great examples of this)

why are people so obsessed into gentrifying the bronx and the Brownsville/East NY corridor? Whats the big obsession into turning the NYCHA projects into market rate condos? and why the hell is it a problem if locals blast their music or have block parties and whatnot? Esp if theres no fighting and shooting invovled??? Is the objective to keep the city for the rich and rich only? id like to hear from the gentrifiers and hipsters themselves...or those who sympathize......im trying to understand or get familiar with the mentality that drives all this....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 06:47 PM

106,962 posts, read 109,241,493 times
Not everything. I would save some remote area and take those that do not want improvements in the quality of life and to do better themselves and let them live in whatever manner they choose as far away from those who do.

No one should be subjected to living in a slum and having their quality of life brought down because of those around them that don't care.

Areas like harlem ,red hook , williamsburg ,etc,still house those that are struggling to make ends meet but these areas are far better for everyone.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-24-2013 at 07:04 PM..

Old 06-24-2013, 07:10 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,172,575 times
Quote:
Gentrification: The restoration and upgrading of deteriorated urban property by middle-class or affluent people, often resulting in displacement of lower-income people.
Gentrification isn't about overpriced goods, it's about improved quality of life due to more diverse (more affluent) economic demographics. It is occurring in the Bronx, although not at the scale that occurred in areas like SoHo, the East Village and Williamsburg.

This goes beyond stupid hipster/yuppy stereotypes, cities are back. They are increasingly becoming desirable places to live. More and more neighborhoods are transforming as a result. It only makes sense too. Throughout history, cities have been the centers of political movements, the economy, the arts, culture. Combine that with finite resources like rising oil cost and economic competition due to globalization.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:46 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,081,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
Ive been reading the threads on and off in this forum as well as the DC one......it seems a common theme on these threads is "oh, this neighborhood is ripe to be gentrified!" "perfect new area for the urban pioneer!!!" and stuff like that....and it seems that there are ppl taht are hell bent in seeing the bronx get swept into the gentrification wave..........

I have my own personal feelings on gentrification but im going to try and put them aside and be objective when i ask.........

Whats the frantic rush in converting a good portion of NYC into yuppie and hipster colonies? Whats the obsession into turning major retail strips into meccas of overpriced (yes it is overpriced) organic and vegan food markets, yoga studios and other staples of yuppified neighborhoods?

Urban renewal and revitilization is certainly not a bad idea, but whats the mad dash to erase the working class cultures and character of these areas? This is the character that gave NYC its soul and spirit for so many years (and no im not jus talking the ghettos, the immigrant enclaves are also great examples of this)

why are people so obsessed into gentrifying the bronx and the Brownsville/East NY corridor? Whats the big obsession into turning the NYCHA projects into market rate condos? and why the hell is it a problem if locals blast their music or have block parties and whatnot? Esp if theres no fighting and shooting invovled??? Is the objective to keep the city for the rich and rich only? id like to hear from the gentrifiers and hipsters themselves...or those who sympathize......im trying to understand or get familiar with the mentality that drives all this....
Gentrification has its pros and cons. Gentrification can be beneficial for a select very few like property owners and educated locals, but for the others who have less the case is far different. Also gentrification is not immune to NYC and DC, gentrification is happening actoss the whole American urban landscape, primarily in Northeast, North West and rustbelt cities. Sunbelt cities are growing because affordability, quality of life and far superior job creation which attract those who are priced out of Urban areas like NYC. Gentrification attracts mostly suburban educated white individuals. Here in NYC I have seen gentrification do womders but I also seen the negative aspects of it, gentrification of NYC as a whole is persuading me too move out of NYC. I will probably check out DC in s couple of months for opportunities. What drives gentrification is thr almighty dollar. I hope this back to the city movement dies out in the next decade.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:01 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,237,539 times
People have a bizarre fascination with the idea of Brownsville or the Grand Concourse gentrifying, but I suspect it's more for the sheer unfathomability of the idea. They're certainly not going to be desirable neighborhoods for at least 30 years into the future.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,307,478 times
And where will the poor go when the Bronx is taken over?

Old 06-24-2013, 08:12 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,081,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
People have a bizarre fascination with the idea of Brownsville or the Grand Concourse gentrifying, but I suspect it's more for the sheer unfathomability of the idea. They're certainly not going to be desirable neighborhoods for at least 30 years into the future.
I can see the lower grand Concourse gentrifying, even that area attracts some professionals, brownsville is very unlikely to gentrify unless Downtown Brooklyn becomes a major economic hub om par with Fidi and Midtown.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:19 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,312,029 times
Quote:

I was confused at first as well. I don't know when it all started but I do remember when I first started to notice the gentrification and the "hipster movement." I didn't like it, but I know that change happens and time changes everything.

I like the shops, I like the markets, I like art, I like fashion and I love the way the hipsters seem to want to embrace world cultures. Those interests I can share with them, but everything else just seems annoying and pretentious. I am from the old-school where I remember the hard-knock life and the grittiness of the different boroughs - to me, that is a big part of NYC history and culture. But, at the end of the day ... who really wants the grittiness and unfortunate things that happen as the result?

I'm slowly changing my views on gentrification. There is one aspect that bothers me and that is how people who used to live in these places or live on the outskirts are treated. I feel like they must feel pushed out and that they have no voice. That is when I take concern. Money seems to push residents out and then the new people come in and where do the old residents go?

I am not living in NYC, but I am there very often and have spent time there. In my current city, which is my hometown, gentrification is happening in a few neighborhoods and on a few downtown streets. The buildings that were built are beautiful, the stores that have opened are useful (markets mostly) and the entertainment (lounges and bars) add recreation and beauty. But, I still feel and see the contrast between the new residents/owners and the old residents/owners (low-income).

Lastly, when I think about it, it's pretty useful and important for us to make sure streets, neighborhoods and areas of potential business or income are more productive and successful. It makes no sense to waste opportunities to bring an area into positive gain. I hate to say that because that makes me think, "Well, where do the people who were there before, go?"

Old 06-24-2013, 08:21 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,172,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
I disagree.

•For one, Brownsville and the Grand Concourse are not comparable neighborhoods.

•The housing stock on the Grand Concourse and the surrounding neighborhood consist of mostly solid rows of 6+ story apartment buildings built to the sidewalk. Many of the apartment buildings in that area are quite beautiful, contain courtyards and largely spacious although run down. The Grand Concourse is also a street, more specifically we are talking about the lower Concourse area surrounding Joyce Kilmer Park. It aesthetically resembles Washington Heights in housing stock, density, and terrain. The E 161st corridor has tremendous potential as a central business district.

•Brownsville largely consist of tower-in-the-park style apartment buildings managed by the NYCHA and most of the surrounding housing stock was razed in favor of cheap 90s era rowhouses infill.

•Gentrification is occurring in both areas. Both neighborhoods have seen an increase in residents with higher incomes and new business and overall reinvestment. The lower Grand Concourse area is further along and is much more diverse then Brownsville. The Grand Concourse will likely gentrify more rapidly.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:25 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
Quote:

The mentality is one of entitlement.

The people who root for gentrification tend to be the people who benefit from it (or hope to). They take it for granted that the world should cater to them--i.e. to their needs, desires, interests, tastes, etc. When neighborhoods evolve to better compliment their lifestyles, they are "improving." When neighborhoods are more oriented to the needs and budgets of lower-income groups, they are "in decline."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City