Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 04:26 PM

14 posts, read 54,867 times

Advertisements

Which area is better to live in and commute to Lincoln Center area? Is it safe for a 9th grader to travel by subway or bus to and from school each day from Riverdale to 66th and Broadway? Is it reasonable to keep a car in any of these areas or do I need to? Replys are appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:43 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,545,735 times
PROS
Forest Hills
- One of the most beautiful neighborhoods in NYC. (I think Forest Hills Gardens is, hands down, the most beautiful neighborhood in NYC.)
- Five train lines go there, two of which are express
- Most of Forest Hills does not require an additional bus ride after the subway
- Lots of express bus lines and LIRR into Manhattan
- Easily accessible by several highways
- You could live there quite easily without a car, as there are lots of stores, restaurants, parks, movie theaters and mass transit
- The surrounding neighborhoods also have good amenities and are easy to reach.

Riverdale
- One of the most beautiful neighborhoods in NYC
- Has express bus and MetroNorth to Manhattan

CONS
Forest Hills
- Parking can be tight, unless you live in a building with subterranean parking or a house with a driveway/garage

Riverdale
- Isolated from other neighborhoods due to Van Cortlandt Park & the river
- Only one train line goes there, which is local and makes for a very looong ride
- Most areas require taking a bus after the subway ride
- Few highways go there (only one, I believe)
- You would most likely need a car, since many residential areas are not in easy walking distance of commercial areas

The commute from either place to Lincoln Center would be about 45 minutes. Either place would be a safe commute for a ninth grader. The ride would only be one train from Riverdale (the #1), and two trains with an easy change from Forest Hills (the E and the B).

If I had to choose, I'd go for Forest Hills.

Old 07-22-2008, 01:36 AM

14 posts, read 54,867 times
Thank you for the info it really helps.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:02 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pivot Point View Post
PROS
Forest Hills
- One of the most beautiful neighborhoods in NYC. (I think Forest Hills Gardens is, hands down, the most beautiful neighborhood in NYC.)
- Five train lines go there, two of which are express
- Most of Forest Hills does not require an additional bus ride after the subway
- Lots of express bus lines and LIRR into Manhattan
- Easily accessible by several highways
- You could live there quite easily without a car, as there are lots of stores, restaurants, parks, movie theaters and mass transit
- The surrounding neighborhoods also have good amenities and are easy to reach.

Riverdale
- One of the most beautiful neighborhoods in NYC
- Has express bus and MetroNorth to Manhattan

CONS
Forest Hills
- Parking can be tight, unless you live in a building with subterranean parking or a house with a driveway/garage

Riverdale
- Isolated from other neighborhoods due to Van Cortlandt Park & the river
- Only one train line goes there, which is local and makes for a very looong ride
- Most areas require taking a bus after the subway ride
- Few highways go there (only one, I believe)
- You would most likely need a car, since many residential areas are not in easy walking distance of commercial areas

The commute from either place to Lincoln Center would be about 45 minutes. Either place would be a safe commute for a ninth grader. The ride would only be one train from Riverdale (the #1), and two trains with an easy change from Forest Hills (the E and the B).

If I had to choose, I'd go for Forest Hills.
Any other pros for Riverdale? Cons for forest hills?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:23 PM

420 posts, read 823,427 times
Would rather live in Forest Hills. Riverdale is too far from Manhattan and is not as lively as Forest Hills.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheHellMan View Post
Would rather live in Forest Hills. Riverdale is too far from Manhattan and is not as lively as Forest Hills.
Too far from Manhattan? It's located right above Upper Manhattan! Riverdale is 20 minutes driving from the heart the of the city and 25 - 30 minutes by Metro North to Grand Central. Riverdale is a bedroom community, so it's sleepy. It's great for people who are family oriented, young people who like the close proximity to Manhattan but also enjoy the quiet suburban feel and those who enjoy the green and the views of the city and the Hudson River from our steep hills.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:05 PM

11 posts, read 21,741 times
Hands down Forest Hills. I like both areas but I lived in Forest Hills and loved it!!!! There is a lot to do, it is close to the city and if you feel like not dealing with a Target or supermarket in the city....you can always drive out to Long Island. Parking is tough so look for a building that offers it. Also try Kew Gardens which is right next to Forest Hills. It is very nice.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:26 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,311,220 times
I have to take a walk through riverdale one of these days, but from what I see on google maps it just does not have the charming Tudor village feel of forest hills gardens. Maybe it has bigger mansions on larger lots of land, which is completely unnecessary no matter how rich one is, but it doesn't look to have the same feel. IMO, I've never seen a more aesthetically appealing neighborhood than FHG, just neighborhoods with bigger and more expensive houses. In riverdale, I feel like you can see a mansion and than right down the block a raised ranch with siding. Also it looks like the fancy part of riverdale is zoned historical, I don't think FHG would go for that.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:05 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,303,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I have to take a walk through riverdale one of these days, but from what I see on google maps it just does not have the charming Tudor village feel of forest hills gardens. Maybe it has bigger mansions on larger lots of land, which is completely unnecessary no matter how rich one is, but it doesn't look to have the same feel. IMO, I've never seen a more aesthetically appealing neighborhood than FHG, just neighborhoods with bigger and more expensive houses. In riverdale, I feel like you can see a mansion and than right down the block a raised ranch with siding. Also it looks like the fancy part of riverdale is zoned historical, I don't think FHG would go for that.
Well before I moved to Riverdale years ago, I went driving around in Spuyten Duyvil and got chills with all of the green and the charming housing all along the parkway, the well manicured lawns and just overall peaceful look. Riverdale is elevated which affords us some specatcular views of the city and the Hudson River that I don't think Forest Hill Gardens can match, not to mention the largest selection of English tudors. If you like very affluent parts of Connecticut with very charming historical homes, then you'd like Riverdale because many parts of it feels like that. Wave Hill (a former estate, which people like Mark Twain lived in) is a good example.

Wave Hill House set for grand re-opening - The Riverdale Press

Beautiful grounds, stunning views of the Hudson and historical architecture.

Old 07-03-2013, 07:10 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
wasn't this discussed recently?

fyi....about half of FH apartments have parking space in their respective buildings....and about half of that have a wait list (usually 6 months-2 yrs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City