Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 02:16 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,305,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It would only be cultural if, say, black associates at Davis Polk tipped less on average than white associates at Davis Polk. But I have never seen any evidence to suggest that.

But I'm sure you wouldn't know anybody who worked for Davis Polk anyway.
What does that law firm have to do with anything? Maybe they tip more than they normally would to avoid being stereotyped as the cheap Black people because as 11KAP said when they see a Black face they automatically think they're not going to tip, but they tip them well anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
it's nothing to it. you tip so you will not be rude or
looked at and feel like butt-hole, you know?
But tipping is not about being rude. It's about following a customary standard in the service industry. I'm just trying to figure out if its a cultural thing or not since some posters have noted that some Black people don't tip and don't seem to feel any way about it, as if it is normal not to tip, which I find interesting. I wonder if they're not aware of how tipping works? If they don't know, the standard is to tip based on the actual bill and not to include a tip on the tax so you generally should tip anywhere from 10 - 20% or more if you really feel that the service went above and beyond the usual and also depending on what service is being provided.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
What does that law firm have to do with anything? Maybe they tip more than they normally would to avoid being stereotyped as the cheap Black people because as 11KAP said when they see a Black face they automatically think they're not going to tip, but they tip them well anyway.
Because it's stupid to say "it's cultural" if similarly situated black and white people (from an economic perspective) tip the same. And it's equally stupid to expect someone delivering packages for UPS to leave the same tip as someone executing trades for UBS.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:22 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
But tipping is not about being rude. It's about following a customary standard in the service industry. I'm just trying to figure out if its a cultural thing or not since some posters have noted that some Black people don't tip and don't seem to feel any way about it, as if it is normal not to tip, which I find interesting. I wonder if they're not aware of how tipping works? If they don't know, the standard is to tip based on the actual bill and not to include a tip on the tax so you generally should tip anywhere from 10 - 20% or more if you really feel that the service went above and beyond the usual and also depending on what service is being provided.
whatever, grosvenor. people need tips, because people like you who own these
businesses are too cheap to pay well, not because of some phony standard
you just made up. gthoh! it's nothing cultural about it. if blacks had a lot of
extra money like you maybe, then blacks tipping wouldn't be an issue.

why do you seem so bipolar, man? you make everything racial, because
you love pulling cards, don't you? it's entertaining to you, huh?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Because it's stupid to say "it's cultural" if similarly situated black and white people (from an economic perspective) tip the same. And it's equally stupid to expect someone delivering packages for UPS to leave the same tip as closing deals for UBS.
I didn't realize that where one works at should make any difference. I mean if some person at UPS can't afford to tip then they probably wouldn't be eating at the same place that someone working at UBS would be eating at anyway, so that seems rather irrelevant to me. The other question I have for you is if Black people do indeed tip AND tip well as you've indicated, why have several posters indicated that the general thinking process is that Blacks don't tip well IF they tip at all? Why would anyone come to that conclusion?

Quote:
whatever, grosvenor. people need tips, because people like you who own these
businesses are too cheap to pay well, not because of some phony standard
you just made up. gthoh! it's nothing cultural about it. if blacks had a lot of
extra money like you maybe, then blacks tipping wouldn't be an issue.

why do you seem so bipolar, man? you make everything racial, because
you love pulling cards, don't you? it's entertaining to you, huh?
It's well known that it is customary to tip anywhere from 10 - 20%. It's certainly nothing that I made up. Seems like somebody is a little uptight... It is rather amusing that you're getting so irate over what has been a very civil discourse.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
It's well known that it is customary to tip anywhere from 10 - 20%. It's certainly nothing that I made up. Seems like somebody is a little uptight... It is rather amusing that you're getting so irate over what has been a very civil discourse.
you're blacking out now.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:33 PM

Quote:
you're blacking the f out now.
The next time I need a cab, I'll tip extra for ya my Black brother from another mother!

Old 07-19-2013, 02:34 PM

32,117 posts, read 34,753,293 times
Quote:
I didn't realize that where one works at should make any difference.
If the claim is that "it's cultural," then that makes all the difference, doesn't it? If it's really cultural, then we should expect a black person earning $200,000 to tip less than a white person earning less than $200,000 on average. That would be one way to determine if "culture" is really a factor.

Quote:
I mean if some person at UPS can't afford to tip then they probably wouldn't be eating at the same place that someone working at UBS would be eating at anyway, so that seems rather irrelevant to me.
It's not irrelevant. You just have a comprehension problem.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
If the claim is that "it's cultural," then that makes all the difference, doesn't it? If it's really cultural, then we should expect a black person earning $200,000 to tip less than a white person earning less than $200,000 on average. That would be one way to determine if "culture" is really a factor.

It's not irrelevant. You just have a comprehension problem.
Well that's why I'm asking Black folks such as yourself to clarify my comprehension problems. So then why do Black people have a hard time getting a cabs? What are the reasons?

Old 07-19-2013, 02:40 PM

the cabdrivers are the reason, mang, not the black race.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
the cabdrivers are the reason, mang, not the black race.
Okay, so then what's the problem with the cab drivers? Bajan says the problem isn't that Black people are poor tippers so what is it then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: