Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 35,829 times

Advertisements

so i recently notice that theirs a barbershop for sale around 174 and bway. i believe it to be in a prime location however i cant help but think what cause the owner to sell it. im guessing it has something to do with the rent bring so high. my question to the resident of wash height is have you been there in the past. what are your likes and dislike about it. what would you like in a barbershop what would make you go to a particular one. im considering purchasing it however i would like to avoid the same fate. your help and suggestion would be much appreciated. thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 01:48 AM

620 posts, read 1,074,095 times
Barbershops( in predominantly Latino areas) are a place to get a cut but also a hang out where people you know go. They smoke hookah and listen to music.

People usually follow their barber wherever they go.

If you buy it .. Then you are contributing to the further gentrification of NYC... So people wont like you in theneighborhood and no, we wont go

Old 06-12-2013, 02:14 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,092,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Barbershops( in predominantly Latino areas) are a place to get a cut but also a hang out where people you know go. They smoke hookah and listen to music.

People usually follow their barber wherever they go.

If you buy it .. Then you are contributing to the further gentrification of NYC... So people wont like you in theneighborhood and no, we wont go
So opening up a new business is "contributing to the further gentrification of NYC"??? A new business opening up equals jobs.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,283,744 times
Hey, HEY! If the man wants to buy the barbershop to get a cut of the profits but, mostly keep it the same, that's not "gentrification", that's business.

Now if he wants to open some organic-soy-foodie place? Yea he can leave that in Chelsea or something...

Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,409,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post

lls

Old 06-12-2013, 11:32 AM

5,147 posts, read 4,980,045 times
Is washington heights or harlem considered "ghetto" by nycers? it does not have that good reputation but when I pass through the buildings are really pretty and well maintained.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM

46 posts, read 207,756 times
It's difficult to open up a barber shop in the heights (and prosper) if you do not have a loyal following and 2 or 3 barbers that also have their own following. The more recent thing now (as a previous poster mentioned) is having Hookah's in there as well as one or two TV's and music. Good luck!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:36 AM

123 posts, read 176,856 times
I'll have to pay more attention next time I walk by one of those places:-)

Well, I guess that makes sense then why there are so many barbers/hair dressers/manicurists in these areas.....their own following. I've always wondered how they all su4vive in such a small radius...like 2-3 on 1-2 blocks apart

Old 07-26-2013, 11:36 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,621,535 times
Lived in Tennessee most of life and 99% of the barbers were black. Moved to NY about 3 years ago and couldn't find one barbershop with predominantly black barbers. Was a little hesitant at first, but have to say.........Hispanic barbers always do a fantastic job with my head. If I had the money I would open the place up and hire a few barbers from the area. Would love to own a barbershop. Great place to relax and one of the few places men can talk amongst brothers without criticism.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:43 PM

912 posts, read 2,100,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
Lived in Tennessee most of life and 99% of the barbers were black. Moved to NY about 3 years ago and couldn't find one barbershop with predominantly black barbers. Was a little hesitant at first, but have to say.........Hispanic barbers always do a fantastic job with my head. If I had the money I would open the place up and hire a few barbers from the area. Would love to own a barbershop. Great place to relax and one of the few places men can talk amongst brothers without criticism.
You couldn't find a barber shop with predominantly black barbers? Where were you looking, the Upper East Side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City