Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2013, 06:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,597 times

Advertisements

Is Kew Gardens Hills in zip code 11367 a township, or what? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
Kew Gardens Hills -> Flushing -> Queens -> NYC

Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM

2 posts, read 2,597 times
G-Dale,

I'm not sure what the meaning of your reply is. It is not a hyperlink nor anything else that I can positively make out.

I looked on wikipedia and it seems that Kew Gardens Hills has no legal structure, nor is it a legal entity, proper on its own. It is a neighborhood in Flushing, Queens, NY, that some people gave a name to on their own recognizance and which may be what you were trying to tell me by your reply although I can't be sure. Thanks, anyway. Have a great day!

Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,727,850 times
It's just a neighborhood in Flushing. They call it that to make it sound fancy. That's it and that's all. The previous post wasn't meant to be a link.

Old 08-10-2013, 09:16 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,048,394 times
Seems like Kew Garden Hills is Flushing. But what's the history with certain neighborhoods far away from Flushing in Queens being named Flushing anyway? I use to live by the Queens Brooklyn border years ago in what some real estate agents try to refer to as East Williamsburg nowadays and some of my family's mail from government/utilities related organizations use to be addressed to Flushing.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:11 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,916,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebyz View Post
Seems like Kew Garden Hills is Flushing. But what's the history with certain neighborhoods far away from Flushing in Queens being named Flushing anyway? I use to live by the Queens Brooklyn border years ago in what some real estate agents try to refer to as East Williamsburg nowadays and some of my family's mail from government/utilities related organizations use to be addressed to Flushing.
Any neighborhood with a zip code that starts with "113" is designated "Flushing".

Old 08-11-2013, 05:32 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,313,805 times
I'm guessing that because of its geographical size, unlike the other boros, Queens is further broken up into Long Island City (111xx), Flushing (113xx), Jamaica (114xx) and the Rockaways (116xx). The northern part of the Brooklyn/Queens border (Maspeth, Ridgewood, and Glendale) was historically part of the village of Newtown (centralized around modern day Elmhurst). I think that Newtown was consolidated into Flushing when Queens broke away from Nassau county to join NYC.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:00 AM

2,625 posts, read 3,413,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avataress View Post
Is Kew Gardens Hills in zip code 11367 a township, or what? Thanks.
I was just thinking a bit about this very issue today (what a coincidence).

Apart from however the U.S. Postal Service designates areas for their zip code mapping and mail delivery purposes (e.g.,Queens College, while having a street and mailing address which states "Flushing, NY", is technically located within the jurisdiction of Kew Garden Hills . . . though some people think it is in Pomonok but Pomonok itself is a sub-section of Kew Garden Hills):

Kew Garden Hills is often sometimes thought of as its own neighborhood but it might best be deemed as a sub-neighborhood or sub-section (sub-division) within the jurisdiction of Flushing, Queens, NY but without a distinct politcal or legal identity (apart from a postal designation and maybe police stations and public libraries saying "Kew Garden Hills" on their buildings). The same goes for Fresh Meadows, which can be thought of as its own neighborhood or it can be thought of as an extended area of the large neighborhood of Flushing. As far as I can discern or think that I know about it (having been rather familar with the area-at-large), Kew Garden Hills has no political or legal jurisdictional status of its own but rather falls under the political reach of Flushing (school boards, community boards, et al).

There are no so-called "townships" (politically or legally speaking) in any of the five boroughs of New York City but only what are called "neighborhoods". Prior to 1898 (when a portion of eastern Queens split off to form the newly-designated Nassau County and the remaining Queens became politcally a part of the City of New York), Queens was a jurisdiction that had legally-designated towns (e.g, Flushing, Jamaica, Long Island City, et al). Originally, Queens County included the adjacent area now comprising Nassau County. After 1898 (when a portion of easten Queens was split off to form the newly-designated Nassau County), these towns in Queens lost all political (legal) status and simply became designated as "neighborhoods" within the borough or county of Queens . . . yet, being that they were, in fact, formerly designated as "towns" prior to 1898, mail is still addressed in Queens to the individual neighborhoods (as though they were still towns) instead of simply being addressed to "Queens, NY. Unlike Bronx and Brooklyn, where all mail or parcels addressed to any party in those boroughs is supposed to be addressed simply to "Bronx, NY" and "Brooklyn, NY", respectively.
As Wikipedia states: "The area now designated Nassau County was originally the eastern 70% of Queens County, one of the original 12 counties formed in 1683, and was then contained within two towns: Hempstead and Oyster Bay. Nassau County was formed in 1899 by the division of Queens County, after the western portion of Queens had become a borough of New York City in 1898."
Another example: Auburndale (an area north and south of Northen Blvd. between downtown Flushing, Bayside, and Fresh Meadows) is given its own name (i.e, Auburndale) and yet it is wholly a sub-section or sub-division of Flushing. The same as Kew Garden Hills. It has no legal or political designation or status whatsoever (unless I am misinformed).

Last edited by UsAll; 08-12-2013 at 03:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City