Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:54 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Most crime suspects are black males. Most victims of crimes are people of color. Does someone deserve to be stopped and disrespected, NO. Unfortunately the real losers in this outcome will be the citizens of NYC especially in high crime pct's. The family on the UES will be fine or out Park Slope. It's the thugs in the high crime areas that will now start carrying firearms knowing the police won't be stopping them. BTW for any NYPD cop your nuts to do any proactive work in that environment. Just collect that check every 2 weeks and go home to your family.
This is the opinion among the decent people in central Harlem - there are many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM

573 posts, read 1,462,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
This is the opinion among the decent people in central Harlem - there are many.
This is also how you get a whole neighborhood to hate/or at least distrust the police (even the regular folks), when only the thugs should if the cops were doing their jobs like they supposed to. But nowadays it's all about the stats, the days when you actually knew the officer patrolling your block are long gone smh. The best way for the police officers to do their job efficiently is to be trusted by the community. Pure repression has never solved anything, in fact it has always made things worse.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy93 View Post
This is also how you get a whole neighborhood to hate/or at least distrust the police (even the regular folks), when only the thugs should if the cops were doing their jobs like they supposed to. But nowadays it's all about the stats, the days when you actually knew the officer patrolling your block are long gone smh. The best way for the police officers to do their job efficiently is to be trusted by the community. Pure repression has never solved anything, in fact it has always made things worse.
I doubt you know anything about Harlem, unless you lived here ...?

You do speak with such stridency for others, rather astonishing if you have not.

The "regular folks" here do not hate the police. Conversely, they do hate ghetto culture.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
I doubt you know anything about Harlem, unless you lived here ...?

You do speak with such stridency for others, rather astonishing if you have not.

The "regular folks" here do not hate the police. Conversely, they do hate ghetto culture.
I don't speak for Harlem in particular, but I've actually been there, I talked to the people. I even stayed in East Harlem during the holidays, I got good friends of mine who used to live in the area.

Anyway my statement was about what I see around my way, the situation where I grew up and still live in. Believe it or not there is a lot of things in common between hoods in NYC and hoods overseas, and from what I have seen the relationships with the police are pretty much the same.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I don't speak for Harlem in particular, but I've actually been there, I talked to the people. I even stayed in East Harlem during the holidays, I got good friends of mine who used to live in the area.

Anyway my statement was about what I see around my way, the situation where I grew up and still live in. Believe it or not there is a lot of things in common between hoods in NYC and hoods overseas, and from what I have seen the relationships with the police are pretty much the same.
No ... things are not the same. They never are.
Funny, I have a close friend here from Paris (Luxembourg Gardens) now, Fulbright scholar, we were just talking about this. She sees things there and here as quite different. I did not exactly live in Paris so I deferred to her opinion.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
No ... things are not the same. They never are.
If you say so...

Old 08-12-2013, 05:49 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Oh so now this Judge Scheindlin is an expert on being a police officer? She has a lot of nerve making assumptions. She hasn't walked the beat one day in her life to go making these sorts of inane conclusions. I wonder what conclusion she would come to about the other 12% or the fact that Blacks commit the most crimes in NYC?

I hope this decision is appealed and taken to the highest courts possible. Our neighborhoods need more protection, not less, especially with the recession these days. Everybody is desperate. If this decision is upheld, there is no question that cops won't be nearly as effective as they have been in the past on deterring crime from occurring from our "outstanding citizens".
But Bloomberg has only a few more months in office. Even if he appeals, a process which can take years, the next mayor who will be a Democrat will STRIKE DOWN the APPEAL! Its all over, Grosvenor. Oh, look forward to your new friends from Edenwald and Mott Haven moving in next to you, creating an all new Riverdale.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
If you say so...
Right, global oppression and revolution and all. Yahoo. Holdin' hands across the globe.
OWS writ large. Who's with me.

Which prevents the intelligent and historically specific critical analysis of actual globalization and its impacts.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Anyone who understands that crime will increase without Stop and Frisk.
And real estate will crash. Anyway, it also shows how screwed up the city is for them to even think about doing stop and frisk.

It also shows that Bloomberg did absolutely nothing to really get rid of NYCHA or Section, or to transition these people to jobs/make them have to work. He did stop and frisk, like Giuliani before him, to make out of town whites with money feel safe coming to NYC, which supposedly been civilized. Yeah, right, its as ghetto as ever. Or else you would not fear the ending of Stop and Frisk, which is unconstitutional and needed to be stopped.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
We'll see what the Supreme Court thinks about her "expertise". To clarify, she didn't call for an outright end to Stop and Frisk and she didn't because she knows that the program is indeed constitutional, and it was ruled constitutional years ago. She just called for some changes to be implemented.

Very funny, but hipsters aren't common in Riverdale.
This has to go to other courts before it gets to the Supreme Court. Of course, long before then, the next mayor of NYC could stop appealing Stop and Frisk. There's a good chance it will never get to the Supreme Court. Even Quinn thinks the city needed an independent monitor and an inspector general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City