Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:46 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
She's looking for advice ABOUT SHELTERS. I'm trying to offer her something that maybe she didn't think about. Who even considers going to shelter at 5 months pregnant? Have you heard about sunshine and rainbows in these places? Gimme a break.

Apparently you're in favor of someone making a mistake and having US TAXPAYERS flip the bill.
She wanted to stay in a shelter because she's using staying in the shelter as an entry point to getting an apartment. I knew a guy, single man, drug addict, who after staying in the shelters for like 3 months or so got an apartment. This is how people get state funded apartments. You go in a shelter, stay there for awhile, get hooked up with social services, and yes, you will get an apartment that way. She knows what's she's doing.

And yes, plenty of pregnant women have done what she's doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancox17 View Post
As someone who was put up for adoption because my parents were in college and not married and wanted a better life for me, I can tell you that is complete and utter bulls**t for so many reasons that I have neither the time nor energy to go in to. Fostering, maybe.

Adoption could quite possibly be the best thing the OP could do and with the huge relaxation of laws regarding birth parents, they could probably stay involved in their child's life as well.
Just because your case worked out well does not mean everyone put up for adoption goes well, either. Regardless, its her baby and her choice, she is perfectly free to keep her child. Just because you're broke does not mean you have to surrender custody of your baby. Presently, she is not homeless, and she'll be able to go through the shelter system and social services to get help and an apartment of her own. Her baby will be provided for. There's really no reason for her to give up her kid for adoption.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:52 AM

21 posts, read 30,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
She wanted to stay in a shelter because she's using staying in the shelter as an entry point to getting an apartment. I knew a guy, single man, drug addict, who after staying in the shelters for like 3 months or so got an apartment. This is how people get state funded apartments. You go in a shelter, stay there for awhile, get hooked up with social services, and yes, you will get an apartment that way. She knows what's she's doing.

And yes, plenty of pregnant women have done what she's doing.
Section 8 is closed and has been since 2009. She'll only get a projects apt, which she said she doesn't want.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:54 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Just because your case worked out well does not mean everyone put up for adoption goes well, either. Regardless, its her baby and her choice, she is perfectly free to keep her child. Just because you're broke does not mean you have to surrender custody of your baby. Presently, she is not homeless, and she'll be able to go through the shelter system and social services to get help and an apartment of her own. Her baby will be provided for. There's really no reason for her to give up her kid for adoption.
yeah, she and her baby will be provided BY US. Keep that in mind.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM

35 posts, read 84,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
Two children having children with no place to go or means to sustain themselves. Where did I hear that story before?

NYC shelters will do anything in their power to turn you away. And I'm not sure Westchester shelters will be accepting people whose last residence was not in their county.
And If you think a shelter is a calm and good environment to care for a child, you might be in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Saying you should've used contraception or thought about the consequences of bringing a child into this world in your situation, is water under the bridge. It's a done deal.

Most likely you'll just have to put up with your family until you or your 'baby daddy' can become self sufficient.
I'm 26 years old and I'm not a child. What is your problem responding to me in this manner if I'm simply asking for advice? Disgusting judgemental person SMH. If you ever fell on hard times I wouldn't think you would want some criticizing you

Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlincolnpark View Post
Section 8 is closed and has been since 2009. She'll only get a projects apt, which she said she doesn't want.
There are other programs that pay rent. And Section 8 is not closed nationally, either. Westchester is different from NYC, so Section 8 maybe open there.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithrose View Post
I'm 26 years old and I'm not a child. What is your problem responding to me in this manner if I'm simply asking for advice? Disgusting judgemental person SMH. If you ever fell on hard times I wouldn't think you would want some criticizing you
Let me know how those links and numbers I provided work out for you!!!

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM

35 posts, read 84,106 times
Quote:
I'm not planning to stay on government assistance for long. Seems like you didn't read the part where I said I was majoring in Registered Nursing...entering my SENIOR year SMH In case you didn't know Registered Nursing starts off around $80,000 and higher

Old 08-13-2013, 09:59 AM

21 posts, read 30,802 times
Quote:
There are other programs that pay rent. And Section 8 is not closed nationally, either. Westchester is different from NYC, so Section 8 maybe open there.
It's closed in Westchester as well and has been for years. There's a 8 year waiting list.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I'm all about helping people in need, and being kind, charitable, and nonjudgemental.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City