Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 07:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times

Advertisements

Don't forget that you'll owe tax on whatever the buyout amount is. So keep that in mind when you weigh whether to move or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 07:38 AM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
I believe it is taxed at capital gains rates under some recent rulings . strange but true.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:40 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,049,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I believe it is taxed at capital gains rates under some recent rulings .
It should be*, so 15% federal plus whatever state city taxes you'll pay. So if you make a moderate income you'll be looking at about 25% between federal/state/city.

Majority of buyouts do not make sense to the tenant, unless they don't intend to stay there for long anyway. The tenant usually only gets a fraction of the present value of the difference between market rate and the rent they're paying. Which is fair since they never had any ownership of the building, but reaped the benefits of the rising housing market.

Old 08-15-2013, 07:41 AM

well deals happen all the time with tenants ready to go but you are correct, the deal may be not worth much to the landlord and not enough to the tenant.

tenants think all the time they are sitting on a goldmine and want crazy numbers. but unless they are co-ops they would be worth nothing in a buy out to us if it meant just a rent increase that we would see...

Old 08-15-2013, 09:01 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,835,847 times
I am not an expert on rent stabilization, but I'd like to know your perspective on why you think you are owed anything at all. Not 'b/c other people got this' or 'that's just the way it works' etc.
you rent someone else's property. If you wanted the stability of never having to move, well, that's why you buy. There are risks faced with renting, risks faced with buying. Why should these not apply to you? Why should someone else have to pay you money so they can get a fair value for their property?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:19 AM

I am a landlord and i will answer that.

If a tenant wants to break a lease i can charge them.

If i want to break a tenants lease they can charge me.

That part is simple contract law.

What i object to is this idea a lease can run forever and i am basically adding a member to my family. That part is just plain wrong to do.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:23 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
you rent someone else's property. If you wanted the stability of never having to move, well, that's why you buy. There are risks faced with renting, risks faced with buying. Why should these not apply to you? Why should someone else have to pay you money so they can get a fair value for their property?
Don't you people ever bore yourselves with this stuff?

Old 08-15-2013, 09:28 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
Quote:

What i object to is this idea a lease can run forever and i am basically
adding a member to my family.
Only as long as you choose to keep him as a quasi family member. You can always SELL.

Tenant stays as long as he wishes and YOU stay as long as you wish. Tenant might give up his tenancy rights for a lucrative payout and YOU might give up you ownership rights for a lucrative payout.

Quote:

The tenant usually only gets a fraction of the present value of the
difference between market rate and the rent they're paying.
That is absolutely correct but only serves to illustrate the different business acumen between landlord and tenant.
That's why we are here telling the tenant not to fall for the nonsense spouted by his/her landlord...we are trying to explain the present value of the rent discount.
An apartment Go or Stay decision (or a buyout or not valuation) SHOULD be valued at the present value of the apartment by both tenant and owner.

Last edited by Kefir King; 08-15-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
I am not an expert on rent stabilization, but I'd like to know your perspective on why you think you are owed anything at all. Not 'b/c other people got this' or 'that's just the way it works' etc.

I totally agree.

I hate all these RS RC tenants that think they are entitled to everything.
Newsflash: your not!

The LL usually wants them out so he can charge more rent that is obviously why they offer to buy them out.
But the tenant also has to realize, the LL will offer but so much then stop, or could even say, OK forget it.

It is nice to get a lump sum, but that will run out, so that is also something to consider.

I wish they would get rid of RS & RC once and for all.

I love how the RC RS tenants are entitled to a free paint job every 4 years or so according to RSA... To me, that is BS, your living there, buy a can of paint and paint it yourself. What makes the RC RS tenants entitled to a free paint job???? I will never figure that one out.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:15 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,242,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I love how the RC RS tenants are entitled to a free paint job every 4 years or so according to RSA... To me, that is BS, your living there, buy a can of paint and paint it yourself. What makes the RC RS tenants entitled to a free paint job???? I will never figure that one out.
They have to paint for every new tenant. Would you rather paint every year for a new tenant or have longer term tenant that only requires you to do so every 4 years. Its your place you own it, you should want to keep it nice and up with appearance instead of seeing it shotty and going to h*ll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City