Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM

42 posts, read 272,076 times

Advertisements

Hi there! My husband and I are driving from central PA to NYC in October for a weekend, and I think we'd like to stay at a hotel in New Jersey because of the cost and easier parking, and then take the train into the city during the day.

Does anyone have suggestions about the easiest/safest/closest places to stay and take a train in New Jersey? We'll be driving in on I-78 East from Pennsylvania.

Thank you for any advice!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:27 AM

42 posts, read 272,076 times
Lol...I just realized that I posted the same thing last time we went to the city! At that time, someone said Trenton was the easiest place to stay, and so we did do that. But I wonder if there's anywhere closer? If not, maybe we'll just do Trenton again.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 AM

273 posts, read 672,936 times
If you are going along I-78, Try Westfield NJ. Delightful historic downtown with some lovely bed and breakfasts and nice cafes and some shopping. Plus you are near a wildlife preserve if you want a little nature break - Watchung Reservation. I believe you would have to get off at the Berkley Heights exit or the one after it to get closer to Route 22 which runs along Westfield. NJ Transit Trains to NYC runs from Westfield.

Another option closer to NYC but you would have to get off 78 onto local road is the W Hotel in Hoboken which is on the Hudson River - Hoboken has a feel similar to Brooklyn Heights and parts of the Village in NYC. The riverfront park features nice views of Manhattan and if you can sneak onto the campus of Stevens Institute you get fantastic views of lower Manhattan and a lovely campus. Hoboken is well-served by buses, PATH, and NJ Tranist trains to NYC (both midtown and downtown).

Finally, if you are on a budget and don't mind driving a little off 78, try the Hampton Inn in Harrison - http://www.yelp.com/biz/hampton-inn-...rwalk-harrison
Well-serviced by public transport (though not as much as Hoboken). PATH trains in Harrison and Newark, NJ Transit buses and trains to NYC and region (for example Jersey Shore, or trains that connect to other train systems such as LIRR and Metro North) at Newark Penn. Hotel offers shuttle to Newark Penn.

The area itself is very safe though not that pretty - an old industrial waterfront changing into a renewed residential area. If you get the upper floors you do get a nice view of the Newark sykline (and yes Newark has a nice if bland city skyline). In the immediate area is Tops Diner, an excellent place for good, inexpensive food. Great to go on a Sunday late morning early afternoon where you get to see a mix of churchgoers from the big Baptist churches in Newark (you'll note the big beautiful hats and nice dresses of the ladies and gentleman with sharp suits), suburban families, and the students and young people working in NYC or downtown Newark all joining in for brunch or lunch. Also, there are some local attractions, the Performing Arts Center in Newark is relatively new, beautiful with excellent acoustics and world-class entertainment that you could see for less than many top venues in NYC. Probably best to check out afternoon concerts and shows before you head into the Big Apple. Also, worthwhile nearby is the Newark Museum, good part of an itinerary to the 9/11 Museum as the Path train runs in Harrison and Newark and bring you right to WTC and the 9/11 museum. Returning to local stuff, Ironbound offers some fun Portugues and Brasilian restaurants with live music, in Kearny to the north of Harrison has Donegal's which offers microbrews and offers sometimes some Irsh rock bands. Piper's Cover and the gift shop of the Argyle offer some fun Scottish and Irish curios and kilts, and across the Kearny library is a nice little Spanish restuarant offering a live Latin band Saturday nights - all along Kearny Ave. To reach Harrison you would get off 78 for the exit to downtown Newark run up Mac Carter Highway and turn right on Bridge Street, cross Bridge Street and make an immediate left onto Passaic Ave.

Pardon the emphasis on Harrison, I offer it only because I was raised in the area and unlike Westfield and Hoboken, some of the local offerings are not as familiar. I would sum up the three options as Westfield - charming Victorians, fancy downtown, but of the three the least convenient to the city (though again direct train to NYC); Hoboken - beautiful waterfont, a nice NYC -vibe but more relaxed (with a fantastic Cuban restaurant that is a must for a visit to NYC), most convenient access to the city, main drawback is if you want a place a removed from NYC then may not be for you; Harrison - best for economy, very good ethnic eating options nearby, good access to NYC with a few big-city amenities nearby if you are staying more than just a few nights to visit NYC. All are served well by major highways and range from extremely safe to safe.

Last edited by astroia 34567; 08-19-2013 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 09:22 AM

259 posts, read 368,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaughinWillow View Post
Lol...I just realized that I posted the same thing last time we went to the city! At that time, someone said Trenton was the easiest place to stay, and so we did do that. But I wonder if there's anywhere closer? If not, maybe we'll just do Trenton again.
Don't go to Trenton; it's in the other direction. I-78 goes into NYC, so you'd want something in Northern Jersey.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:49 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,608 times
Just based off of mere geography, Jersey City is, clearly, the easiest place to stay to travel into NYC. Only thing is whichever hotel in JC you look at, hopefully the price isn't too steep for you. If so, there is Harrison as mentioned before or Downtown Newark.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:52 AM

45 posts, read 96,775 times
JC/Hoboken

Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM

7,360 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Last time we stayed near NYC, we were at a hotel near the Meadowlands complex and used the complimentary hotel shuttle to access the Secaucus Junction train station and took New Jersey Transit trains into the city.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 AM

2 posts, read 11,529 times
Definitely consider AirBnB.com too!

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM

1,145 posts, read 3,000,993 times
westfield? way too far for a weekend. stay in Hoboken or Secaucus or jersey city.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:09 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crescent22 View Post
westfield? way too far for a weekend. stay in Hoboken or Secaucus or jersey city.
I too think Hoboken or Jersey City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City