Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 04:20 AM

214 posts, read 468,120 times

Advertisements

hello all. My son got his drivers license 2 weeks ago. We live in Nassau County not far from Kennedy airport... he does fine on crowded roads such as old country road etc.

In about 2 weeks he has a gig (he's a drummer) at 80-12 51st Avenue, Elmhurst (the club is now Blackthorn 51, used to be the Arena).

There are some areas of Brooklyn/Queens that a newly minted driver would be fine in. There are others that a veteran driver like me has trouble (I drove on Hillside Avenue near Van Wyck the other day and it was really crazy)

How is this area of Elmhurst for driving and parking? He'd probably drive up Woodhaven Boulevard to Queens Boulevard, as he is not ready for highway (van wyck etc) driving yet

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 06:53 AM

370 posts, read 624,682 times
Parking can be tough and driving can be a bit crazy if the mall is open (it's not too far from here).

Old 08-22-2013, 07:32 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Does he have to drive? You all might feel better if he takes the train to Jamaica Center and then takes the subway/bus to Elmhurst.

I don't drive too frequently and have never owned a car, but I've driven in Queens quite a bit. Queens Boulevard can have as many speeding/aggressive drivers as the Van Wyck, though I don't think either are too bad. For example, I find driving the Cross Bronx to be more stressful and drivers to be more aggressive.

How are his parking skills?

Since you have 2 weeks to go, can you go with him on a practice drive there and see how he feels? It will be better if he is more familiar with the route in advance as well.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:46 AM

214 posts, read 468,120 times
subway/bus not an option.... tough to bring a drum kit on the bus lol

I was thinking of doing a practice run with him... not sure yet, as I am a nervous passenger and usually make things worse

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Driving around in Elmhurst is a real pain, and parking is even worse. This is one of the most congested areas in Queens, and unlike some neighborhoods, this applies with pretty much the whole area, except some parts south of Queens Blvd. Your son might be better off relying on public transportation, which is excellent in that area.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
subway/bus not an option.... tough to bring a drum kit on the bus lol

I was thinking of doing a practice run with him... not sure yet, as I am a nervous passenger and usually make things worse

I've seen people with musical equipment on the bus, but I understand it could be challenging. Is the rest of his band traveling too? Maybe they are more experience drivers?

How does your son feel about driving? Does he say he thinks he'll have no problem or he seems nervous?

If you live pretty close to JFK you could also probably hire not too expensive car service.

Otherwise I really do recommend you do a trial run with him to check out how he feels and get to know the route...

Old 08-22-2013, 08:38 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,653,388 times
watch out for pedestrians. It is always the driver's fault when a human bump into a car.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:13 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Queens Boulevard can be difficult for a new driver, especially one who learned in a suburban environment. There size of the roadway, number of pedestrians, and traffic volume all weigh in terms of skill/comfort. I would also recommend a trial run, especially around the time he would be traversing the route.

Does he have to park a large vehicle? If so, I would ask the club where they would recommend he park in the area as they know the lay of the land and may be able to direct musicians to suitable parking. A friend of mine who is a drummer is able to get everything in a small Audi station wagon, so parking is generally easier with a smaller vehicle, but even so, for a new driver, I would ask for local knowledge from the club, if they can offer any; and, he should have the route pre-planned.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-22-2013, 03:12 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,233,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
hello all. My son got his drivers license 2 weeks ago. We live in Nassau County not far from Kennedy airport... he does fine on crowded roads such as old country road etc.

In about 2 weeks he has a gig (he's a drummer) at 80-12 51st Avenue, Elmhurst (the club is now Blackthorn 51, used to be the Arena).

There are some areas of Brooklyn/Queens that a newly minted driver would be fine in. There are others that a veteran driver like me has trouble (I drove on Hillside Avenue near Van Wyck the other day and it was really crazy)

How is this area of Elmhurst for driving and parking? He'd probably drive up Woodhaven Boulevard to Queens Boulevard, as he is not ready for highway (van wyck etc) driving yet

Thanks in advance
If he can drive on Old Country Road, especially now with the added mall, he should be ok on Queens Blvd. The L.I.E. can be a bit crazy but he can take that to Queens Blvd so he won't have to travel long on Queens Blvd to Elmhurst. Woodhaven can be chaotic too, especially just past Jamaica Ave by the park heading towards Myrtle Ave. Sometimes it feels like the lanes are so close to one another.

I think a trial run is definitely a good idea. Have him ask the owner about parking. I know where the club it but I've never been there. They might have parking behind the building.

Old 08-22-2013, 03:18 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
If he can drive on Old Country Road, especially now with the added mall, he should be ok on Queens Blvd. The L.I.E. can be a bit crazy but he can take that to Queens Blvd so he won't have to travel long on Queens Blvd to Elmhurst. Woodhaven can be chaotic too, especially just past Jamaica Ave by the park heading towards Myrtle Ave. Sometimes it feels like the lanes are so close to one another.

I think a trial run is definitely a good idea. Have him ask the owner about parking. I know where the club it but I've never been there. They might have parking behind the building.
You always see cars going into both lanes by that turn near Myrtle Avenue in Forest Park. Sometimes it can't be helped, I try to avoid using the last lane for that very reason.

If you think Hillside Avenue is crazy, you're going to have a panic attack on Woodhaven or Queens Boulevard. Woodhaven not only has crazy traffic, but a lot of twist and turns that a motorist that isn't use to driving on it won't expect. This is especially true between Jamaica Avenue and Union Turnpike.

I learned how to drive around there, so I'm use to it. If you can handle driving on Woodhaven with ease, you can handle anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City