Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:14 PM

81 posts, read 100,733 times

Advertisements

Is it hard to find a place has strange roomates in Ny?? Does particular area matter?? what are good ways to find them? If is possible, would you like to share your experience of living with roomates?? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 01:45 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,677,049 times
You want "strange" roommates?

Old 09-01-2013, 04:07 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Strange roommates can be found on craigslist, or better yet, on flyers stuck to telephone poles. It's not hard to find strange ones. Just read the ads and look for mentions of quirky, idiosyncratic behavior.

Here's one. The sentence "have your own awesomeness to bring to the table" makes it guaranteed to be a strange situation. Or maybe not necessarily strange but just completely annoying.

"Looking for the right person to move into our loft
Artist/ musicians, philosophers, whatever just kick-ass
You are motivated and inspired
Have your own awesomeness to bring to the table"

Looking for Roomie-- ASAP move in- furnished room with large window

Old 09-01-2013, 04:29 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,081,669 times
i had this female roommate who was a BJ fiend. She would always wake me up via BJ.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:33 AM

I think I used the wrong word. the strange roomates I meant are people you are not familar with, just strangers. Is there any adjective I can use to describle roomates that I meant??

Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 AM

Is there anyway I can edit my post??

Old 09-02-2013, 11:14 AM

916 posts, read 2,246,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
I think I used the wrong word. the strange roomates I meant are people you are not familar with, just strangers. Is there any adjective I can use to describle roomates that I meant??
I think un-acquainted, unfamiliar or stranger are all acceptable as long as people understand what you
meant. It's just that we all thought you really meant strange and was looking for an eccentric/weirdo
type roommate by your first post.

You probably can't change the title now unless one of the mods here help you edit your post. You can pm
them for help if you want. (SeventhFloor, bmwguydc or nei are the mods ID here)

But don't worry about it, we all make mistakes sometimes. Thanks for bring your own awesomeness to
the forum like Henna saids.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
I think un-acquainted, unfamiliar or stranger are all acceptable as long as people understand what you
meant. It's just that we all thought you really meant strange and was looking for an eccentric/weirdo
type roommate by your first post.

You probably can't change the title now unless one of the mods here help you edit your post. You can pm
them for help if you want. (SeventhFloor, bmwguydc or nei are the mods ID here)

But don't worry about it, we all make mistakes sometimes. Thanks for bring your own awesomeness to
the forum like Henna saids.

lol ye, it is funny.

Nice to meet you though.

Old 09-02-2013, 05:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
Is it hard to find a place has strange roomates in Ny?? Does particular area matter?? what are good ways to find them? If is possible, would you like to share your experience of living with roomates?? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
It can be difficult to live with strangers, but people do it all the time, especially in NY. The best place to find a roommate is through networking with your friends and asking around, posting something on facebook asking if any of your friends know anyone looking, etc.

I guess besides that, craigslist is the best known source for roommates. If you're looking at the really low end of the scale financially (like trying to find a $500/mo room) then you might go to lower income neighborhoods and look to see what signs are posted in laundromats, etc. Many times if you are doing that, it helps if you speak Spanish.

What is your primary language? Maybe you could find a room with people from your country. Sometimes it helps to have an "in" like that.

Last edited by Henna; 09-02-2013 at 05:39 PM..

Old 09-02-2013, 05:36 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,567,806 times
Just make sure your landlord screens carefully. Mine was out of town once, her husband screened instead and I wound up with a coked out prostitute in the room next to me with her pimp. Complained to them about cigarette smells and strange noises, unwelcome guests. She was thrown onto the street shortly thereafter, ODed right in the room. Watched them mop up blood off the floor at 3 a.m. She posed as a nice girl from Minnesota lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City