Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2013, 10:26 AM

2 posts, read 1,680 times

Advertisements

Being relocated to Manhattan from Washington DC. I will be working around 43rd street. I will likely rent an apartment but am not sure where I should look. I plan on gaining custody of son in 2 years once he starts High school. The idea place would have 2 or bedrooms and at least 2 baths. I would like my son to attend a quality public high school. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Sheldona; 09-01-2013 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Subject =moving to the city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:29 PM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
What is your budget and are you willing to live outside of Manhattan?

Old 09-01-2013, 03:39 PM

2 posts, read 1,680 times
Yes
I am willing live outside of Manhattan . I would like to spend less than $3000 per month in rent.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:35 PM

43,767 posts, read 44,538,330 times
I would suggest Forest Hills in Queens.

Old 09-02-2013, 11:06 AM

5,525 posts, read 8,791,723 times
OP, all high school admissions in NYC are by application, and the better ones often require an additional exam, portfolio, interview, or audition. You MUST have a NYC address to do any of it. This application process, which closes ususally sometime in November, is necessary even for the few local zoned high schools still around in Brooklyn and Queens (there are no zoned high schools in Manhattan). List your zoned option first and its an automatic admit. These high schools also often have programs of different selectivity within them in addition to the "zoned" program. So you basically have three choices:

a) Get an apartment now in one of the zones where there are acceptable zoned high schools and the transfer of the student will be easy. Forest Hills HS and Bejamin Cardozo HS in Forest Hills and Bayside Queens, respectively; Midwood HS and James Madison HS in the Midwood section of Brooklyn might also be worth looking at. All have decent zoned programs and some highly sought after spcialized ones. These schools are also large.

b) Get an apartment anywhere that's an easy commute to Manhattan, research the high schools that might best fit your kids needs, and go through the entire application process in the fall of his junior year, hoping that he can land a spot at the place that's right for him. Problem here is that he may need to be present for tests, interviews, or auditions, which almost all the stronger high schools require.

c) Do what a lot of frustrated NYC parents end up doiing. Move to the 'burbs, where enrolling in a good high school is so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City