Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 01:17 AM

6 posts, read 12,026 times

Advertisements

Hi. Let me introduce myself briefly. I am a lead technician in a large import dealership in Maryland and currently making about 80k a year. My wife has a good job opportunity in NY and we have been contemplating. Well, according to the living cost calculators on the web, I should be making about 145k+ to keep my living standard in New York. Although I find that to be unrealistic, the actual price of stuff seems to be double or even triple of that in MD.
Now, my question is, can an auto mechanic working in Manhattan make the double of what he would make in cheaper cities? What is income range for A-level tech in Manhattan? How is the work environment? Would I be better off living/working in Brooklyn or Queens?

Any insights would be great help! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:51 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy75 View Post
Hi. Let me introduce myself briefly. I am a lead technician in a large import dealership in Maryland and currently making about 80k a year. My wife has a good job opportunity in NY and we have been contemplating. Well, according to the living cost calculators on the web, I should be making about 145k+ to keep my living standard in New York. Although I find that to be unrealistic, the actual price of stuff seems to be double or even triple of that in MD.
Now, my question is, can an auto mechanic working in Manhattan make the double of what he would make in cheaper cities? What is income range for A-level tech in Manhattan? How is the work environment? Would I be better off living/working in Brooklyn or Queens?

Any insights would be great help! Thanks.
One thing that I found as I've recently moved from MI to NYC, is that not everything is "double or triple" the price as it is in other cities. Groceries at the store, are only a little bit more expensive if any at all. Clothes/shoes/accessories area all the same price as the retailers have to charge the same.

The only place that you really end up paying more is when you go out to eat, and housing.

As far as your job search, the main areas with the most car dealerships are in Brooklyn and Queens as they have more space for them. There are some dealerships in Manhattan but not that many in comparison.

You could try glassdoor.com for a salary comparison though as I don't know anything about pay for that here.

Also, if you have a car or cars, that is also more expensive by quite a bit with paying for parking and insurance.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnayyy View Post
One thing that I found as I've recently moved from MI to NYC, is that not everything is "double or triple" the price as it is in other cities. Groceries at the store, are only a little bit more expensive if any at all. Clothes/shoes/accessories area all the same price as the retailers have to charge the same.
groceries are significantly more expensive than elsewhere in the US, an clothing is also higher.

Also, a good comparison in food expense is the price of a big mac here vs. say, Maryland

Old 09-03-2013, 09:59 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,724,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
groceries are significantly more expensive than elsewhere in the US, an clothing is also higher.

Also, a good comparison in food expense is the price of a big mac here vs. say, Maryland
Nothing close to double the price. It's not even 50% more. But then again it also depends on where you go to compare your groceries to make an honest comparison. If you compare Walmart in Maryland prices vs Bodega prices in NYC, yes, they're way more. But if you compare Target in Maryland to Target in NYC, if the price is different, it will not be by much at all.

Clothes are very much the same price. If you go to Target, or if you go to Saks, they're the same price here as anywhere else in the country.

The more boutique places always charge more, and you don't have to go to those at all.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:16 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Your best bet, if you wanted to live/work in the city would be to look at Brooklyn, Queens, or The Bronx for a residence and work at a Manhattan dealership, should you have an offer from Manhattan. Riverdale, in The Bronx, comes to mind as a great choice as many dealerships are located in Midtown (West Midtown) close to the Henry Hudson Parkway/WSH. You would have a 20-minute drive from Riverdale to many dealerships, depending upon time of day, of course, but not an arduous commute via transit. Quality housing in Riverdale will not cost as much as Manhattan. You would also have open dealership groups in Westchester, Rockland, and NNJ from Riverdale, which are relatively easy commutes by car from an area like Riverdale. If you lived over the border a few minutes in Lower Westchester, you would also not have to pay city resident income tax on both incomes, but your property taxes, if you buy a house, will be much higher than Maryland.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City