Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times

Advertisements

summergrl,

Congratulation...you are now officially an EXPERT in pest control (experience is the best teacher.)

If your other tenants say there are no roaches, believe them and know you will soon join their ranks.

If you see a few more, get a bait type roach poison and smear a little under the sinks and around pipe entries. It's odorless and unobtrusive and lasts for months. Every insecticide company makes them and they come in tubes like toothpaste.

Yep, the former occupant was probably a pig.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 731 times
summergrl,
i just sent you a pm. i too signed a lease in UES 71st and 2nd of a rent stabilized bldg and encountered with 5 mices all over the garbage bags on the first floor. i was wondring how is your problem right now in the apt? wee you able to solve ypur problem completely?

Old 10-20-2013, 12:57 AM

292 posts, read 705,066 times
I would tell the building management to get you a new refrigerator..on THEIR dime. I mean, really. Especially after you have done all this work to get rid of the vermin and ESPECIALLY if you think they are nesting there..get it out of that place. And I would see about getting a strip for the interior bottom of your front door to prevent anything incoming.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 PM

36 posts, read 58,823 times
Wanted to post a reply to share an update of my situation - since moving in 3 months ago I have not seen a single roach or mouse or any other unwanted living "thing" in my unit - not one!!! And yes - I live at 308 east 71st - there are mice everywhere. Here's what I did in case any one wants to know:

1) Put a TON of boric acid all over everything (about 1 bottle) - in the baseboards, cracks, over the stove, shower, I mean everywhere. I let it sit for 3 weeks before moving my furniture in. I know most may not have the luxury of waiting 3 weeks to move into a new apt but boric acid is excellent regardless and will not ruin anything.

2) Used silicone caulk all around the pipes, in any obvious cracks, around the bathroom fixtures and sinks. Then used pest control sealant around the kitchen counter and stove pipe openings. I think this was key is solving the real problem.

3) Set off roach bombs (2 of them on 2 consecutive nights). Seemed to work fine and pretty cheap. Thankfully my best friend was there and smart enough to remind me to turn off the gas right before I pulled the trigger (which I almost did). I turned off the fridge and left it open; then cleaned it from the inside out. There did not seem to be a nest inside so I did not insist on a new one. My father's theory is that the prior tenent probably left a plate of food out, a roach craweled in it, then he placed it back inside.

4) I make sure to NEVER leave out any food EVER. Not that time is going and I have not seen anything I;m becoming less OCD.

In total I cleaned up about 20 dead ones and killed about 3 living ones. Since I have moved in the exterminator for the building has visited twice, when he knocks on my door asking if I need his services I just smile and say "Nope! Nothing to kill here."

I guess in the future if my career in medicine falls through I could moonlight as an exterminator

Happy exterminating everyone!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City