Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:48 AM

4 posts, read 6,138 times

Advertisements

Thank you so much for all who helped me with answers so far.

I seem to encounter other dilemma regarding Midtown, Manhattan. I found refferals to "Midtown South" area, between 23rd and 42nd st. Do people know it as such? And if so, how is the rest of the generally known Midtown named? Does it keep the Midtown name or are there other names for those remaining bits of the bigger Midtown area?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: I'll make sure to rate positively all the answers that help me with my project research.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 06:59 AM

25,372 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Florance,

THe vagaries of naming parts of the City can drive one NUTS. Give me an address and I know where one is talking about but call it by some vague term and it means nothing.

One of the vaguer terms is "Midtown" and Midtown North, South, East, or West is even vaguer than that.

These are all silly useless devices dreamed up to sell real estate. "Oh yes I live in a fine part of Brooklyn "Dumboberg Heights!"

Old 09-17-2013, 07:06 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
I almost never heard of that term midtown south. Its more people from marketing trying to drum up new words to confuse people

Old 09-17-2013, 07:08 AM

988 posts, read 3,256,170 times
Generally, the brokers may refer the area btwn 5th and 8th and North of Chelsea to south of 34th street.

crap area to actually live in.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,320,015 times
Flatiron District or maybe Garment District? Midtown South must be new terminology.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,087,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Flatiron District or maybe Garment District? Midtown South must be new terminology.
could be Chelsea, kips bay. etc.

The marketing sales people must be re-inventing what is midtown for their own purpose. I remember back in the days when people claimed the dangerous part of alphabet city was part of Greenwich village or grimy Chinatown is part of LES

Old 09-17-2013, 09:07 AM

499 posts, read 794,259 times
Midtown South is usually used in commercial real estate to define the areas between Midtown and the Downtown. Since there's a large amount of office space there that's sprinkled throughout various neighborhoods, it's all grouped into one market.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:09 AM

991 posts, read 1,770,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latikeriii View Post
Generally, the brokers may refer the area btwn 5th and 8th and North of Chelsea to south of 34th street.

crap area to actually live in.
It goes as far east as Park Ave with little carveouts for Flatiron and Madison Square (although that is more of a made up area). It's basically more office towers with some specks of residential especially on Madison and Park. Sixth and West in that area is now marketed as Chelsea.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florance View Post
Thank you so much for all who helped me with answers so far.

I seem to encounter other dilemma regarding Midtown, Manhattan. I found refferals to "Midtown South" area, between 23rd and 42nd st. Do people know it as such? And if so, how is the rest of the generally known Midtown named? Does it keep the Midtown name or are there other names for those remaining bits of the bigger Midtown area?

Thank you in advance.

P.S: I'll make sure to rate positively all the answers that help me with my project research.
The area that you refer to is solidly "Chelsea" up to about 28th street. From there up to 34th street the name is disputed somewhat but some extend Chelsea all the way up to 34th. Above 34th there is also a dispute with some claiming that Clinton or Hells Kitchen begins at that point. You can live in the same place for 20 years and be in 2 or more neighborhoods.

To the west, Hudson Yards is going to be the next big neighborhood and I expect that the hype surrounding that area in the next decade might cause the perceptual borders of that neighborhood to expand as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:14 AM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
NYPD uses "Midtown South:"

NYPD - Precincts

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City