Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 02:27 PM

10 posts, read 12,713 times

Advertisements

I have been doing extensive research regarding the commute from Brooklyn in the neighborhoods such as Greenpoint, Fort Green, Park slope. Ultimately, I have to commute to Lyndhurst, NJ for work (Monday to Friday, but have half every other Friday off.) but feel as if living in Brooklyn fits my lifestyle more (bars, friends who currently reside there, riding my bike, etc.) and that overall feeling of a true city appeals to me more. I have nothing against Hoboken as it is a great place, but the "scene" is not exactly me as I am more into the artistic Brooklyn lifestyle although this commute has me worried. I would be using mass transportation and also be purchasing a foldable bike to ride between different stops when necessary if it is more than a few minute walk between transfers.

My question: NJ transit states that is would be about a 40 minute commute from Hoboken to my office in Lyndhurst and about an hour to roughly an hour 15 to my office (with 2 or 3 transfers depending if I am using the bus or my bicycle to get into work from the last stop) based off the mentioned neighborhoods in Brooklyn. The professional side of me tells me Hoboken as I will only be using one form of transportation (NJ transit) but the other side is telling me Brooklyn as I know that I won't be truly happy living in Hoboken.. the shorter and more reliable commute is the perk for me. I know that I can take the quick trip from Hoboken to Brooklyn on the occasional week night to visit friends living in the city if time allows and definitely on weekends since Hoboken would mainly be a place to live for me.

The public transportation from Brooklyn to Lyndhurst seems as if it might takes its toll on me after a few weeks or months but the appeal of living in Brooklyn might be work it. Any opinions from others who are familiar with this commute or experience / knowledge to help make my decision. I will be receiving a transit subsidy from my job to help alleviate public transportation costs so this decision is mainly down to commuting times. Again, I know this is a matter of a opinion and happiness of my living location.. I am just looking for an honest and realistic response to see if this is a do able lifestyle. I am single and in my mid 20's who is a professional but enjoy having a life outside of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:49 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Don't do it.It's not worth the high rents in Brooklyn or the long commute.Williamsburg is over rated and over priced.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-20-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 05:29 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
for Brooklyn to Lyndhurst you'll need to pay for:

1) A monthly subway pass
2) A monthly PATH pass
3) A monthly NJ Transit commuter pass

(1) + (2) should be at least $170 / month. The extra 35 minutes sounds overoptomistic with the PATH transfer including waiting for the train. Round trip, you lose at least 1hr20min of your day, possibly on packed trains.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:42 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
for Brooklyn to Lyndhurst you'll need to pay for:

1) A monthly subway pass
2) A monthly PATH pass
3) A monthly NJ Transit commuter pass

(1) + (2) should be at least $170 / month. The extra 35 minutes sounds overoptomistic with the PATH transfer including waiting for the train. Round trip, you lose at least 1hr20min of your day, possibly on packed trains.
No,it's an hour and 20 each way for a total of 2.5 to 3 .......and that's on days with no problems.

Old 09-20-2013, 05:44 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,514,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
No,it's an hour and 20 each way for a total of 2.5 to 3 .......and that's on days with no problems.
I'm referring only to the Brooklyn to Hoboken portion

Old 09-20-2013, 06:16 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Stick with Hoboken. You've got bars there, you can ride your bike there, you can get over to Brooklyn pretty easily, and the commute won't kill you.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:28 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,139,928 times
If you have never commuted to work daily in the NYC area, you might have forgotten to figure in the emotional/mental toll the crowding will take on you. So in other words, it's not just time you have to figure in. It's the time in packed trains with other frustrated commuters. It's not like you are comparing a one hour train ride in a quiet suburban area to 1.5 hour train ride in a quiet suburban area. I think you indicated that you do understand that concept in your OP but I just wanted to highlight that for you.

The crowds and pushing and attitudes during peak travel times can be really draining.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
Insane plan. Look at Jersey City, I've never been but I hear it's hip now.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:31 PM

Thank you all so much for the opinions and knowledge about making such a commute everyday for work. How safe is the downtown area of Jersey City? I am more into the artsy (hence, why I was interested in living in Brooklyn) compared to the 'yuppy' crowd which I've been told is found in Hoboken.. although I heard Hoboken is supposedly much safer than downtown JC? How true is this? I would considering living in the Hamilton Park area of JC to go direction to the Hoboken station so it would eliminate the PATH train but my job will most likely cover all subsidy costs so would it be more realistic to live in Hamilton Park or Grove Path / Van Vorst Park area of JC being a mid 20s professional while not having to worry about looking over my shoulder so much. I have lived in sketchy neighbors in other cities in the past but tired of having those worries to the highest degree. I also noticed that many apartments in downtown JC (slightly cheaper than Hoboken) do not require as many brokers fee when compared to Hoboken. Is having to deal with a broker for a most part a better idea than signing a lease with a straight up land lord or does it not matter in the end? I am also concerned about dealing with shady landlords that have some sort of loopholes but honestly I have no clue about the general consensus regarding this subject.

Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Also, I am allowed to get into work anytime between 6am to 8pm.. Is there a chance to by pass the overcrowded subways/trains as I am doing the reverse commute going out of NYC? Or does it not really matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City