Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 11:39 AM

8,694 posts, read 11,084,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill83 View Post
Because Chinatown stinks. No body dare mention it except you and me.
it does stink. lotsa fish markets & people love Chinese restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Is this thread about eating healthy without going broke or is it just about where to find cheap groceries or cheap food?
can't it be both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 12:03 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post

can't it be both?
The title is called "eating healthy without raping your budget in NYC". I'm seeing mostly where to find food for cheap--not so much where I can find inexpensive health foods or tips on how to eat healthy without going broke (I don't need the tips--just saying if someone else was looking for info, I don't see it)

Fried fish doesn't seem healthy to me. Where to find cheap wine and cheese doesn't seem healthy to me either.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:20 PM

81 posts, read 100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I used to think that but honestly learning how to cook is 90% having the interest in it. If you truly want to learn you can pick up enough basic skills to cook so many different things. It's not that hard really if you care to dedicate a little time and have some patience.
well said, well, I guess is just not many people have the interest for it. but why would you be so good at it, you like to cook for your husband or family? Jk.

Do you guys have any good breakfast to recommend??

Old 09-24-2013, 04:39 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Have you tried swai? I find it has a similar taste to tilapia but it's a meatier (for relatively same price you get more meat) more filling cut IMO.
I HATE Swai, aka Vietnamese Catfish, aka Basa, aka Pangasius (sp??) It is truly the most repulsive fish I have ever eaten.
I cannot believe it can legally be sold.
Filling? Yep, one mouthful and that is the end of the meal for me.

For me, whiting, bluefish, and tilapia are as cheap as I go.

You know, typing this, I am going to hang the ever inflating cost of fish and start buying again what I like: Trout, Bass, Perch, fresh Flounder and Cod...and maybe Snapper.
I'm not going to live forever.

(For the Chinatown fans...will they gut and fillet a whole fish for you? I've never mastered the technique.)

Old 09-24-2013, 05:11 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,851 times
Careful that the fish you buy hasn't been farmed in a disgusting Southeast Asian location where they pump the fish full of chemicals.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Careful that the fish you buy hasn't been farmed in a disgusting Southeast Asian location where they pump the fish full of chemicals.
I presume that is very much the case, Born. I just have to assume the chemicals are slow killers. So far so good.

Believe me, home grown meat and fish are pumped with the same chemicals and we consumers have no clue what we are getting. What can we do...we are at the mercy of rapacious corporations who make all the rules.

Last edited by Kefir King; 09-24-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 09-24-2013, 05:23 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borninnycliveinnyc View Post
Just do a search on Basa. Its indigenous to the Mekong River. Grows exceedingly fast by eating anything that is in the water. Its farm raised now along the river and its fed garbage food. The Mekong is among the most polluted rivers in the world.

Its popularity is that it is cheap.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:

and its fed garbage food
The two times I ate the fish I detected the slight off taste of bottom mud, sewage, or garbage. Just awful. The reason I fell for it TWICE was the first time it was called SWAI and the second time BASA (which I foolishly thought was a misspelling of BASS...bet that naming wasn't and accident.)

Old 09-24-2013, 05:41 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
The title is called "eating healthy without raping your budget in NYC". I'm seeing mostly where to find food for cheap--not so much where I can find inexpensive health foods or tips on how to eat healthy without going broke (I don't need the tips--just saying if someone else was looking for info, I don't see it)

Fried fish doesn't seem healthy to me. Where to find cheap wine and cheese doesn't seem healthy to me either.
I mentioned it because its seafood. I also mentioned that my family rarely eats fried food - once a month if that. I dont think a fried meal once in a blue will put you in the hospital. But re-reading OPs thread, they wanted to know of specific places to buy cheap quality and healthy food. So maybe I will retract my fried fish admission and say that personally the fish markets around my way have decent deals on seafood - how you prepare it is your business. :-)

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-24-2013, 06:30 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Just do a search on Basa. Its indigenous to the Mekong River. Grows exceedingly fast by eating anything that is in the water. Its farm raised now along the river and its fed garbage food. The Mekong is among the most polluted rivers in the world.

Its popularity is that it is cheap.
I know what Basa is and I don't eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City