Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 09:09 PM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times

Advertisements

Is this really possible. Everything around where I live is Chinese Food, Pizza, fast food etc. In the city, there are nicer restaurants but they are more expensive. The supermarkets sell processed garbage and it's hard to find clean water. Anybody here have any ideas on how to eat healthy in the concrete jungle? Also, is it possible to be a vegetarian in this place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,835,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justfarr1030 View Post
Also, is it possible to be a vegetarian in this place?
From personal experience, yes. For cleaner, tastier water, I'd suggest a Britaâ„¢ or Purâ„¢ filtering pitcher.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:31 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Well, the best way to eat healthy in the city is to cook for yourself. You can go to the market and pick up veggies and protein and prepare your own meals. They do have fresh veggies, fruits and meats in the markets besides processed meals. There are plenty of healthy and vegetarian places in the city, like Angelicas (I think it's on the LES), but yes they can be a little pricey.

What do you mean by clean water? NYC has some of the cleanest tap water of any city. If you don't want to drink straight from the tap, then you can get a purifier like Squeezeboxgal said, or you can pick up bottled water from Costco. A 36 bottle case of water is like $6.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:00 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
I think its very possible. It just takes discipline. You think its bad here imagine how it must be in the deep south. NYC has so many culinary options, many of which are actually healthy, and there are also a lot of vegetarian options. Plus fruits and vegetables are usually pretty cheap in NYC except for more exotic things.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:10 AM

24 posts, read 87,231 times
I'm a vegetarian and had no problems eating in NYC.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Is this really possible. Everything around where I live is Chinese Food, Pizza, fast food etc. In the city, there are nicer restaurants but they are more expensive. The supermarkets sell processed garbage and it's hard to find clean water. Anybody here have any ideas on how to eat healthy in the concrete jungle? Also, is it possible to be a vegetarian in this place?
The water from the tap here is some of the cleanest water around. Besides, most bottled water is just tap anyway...so you're better off saving $$ and getting it right out of your sink...pop some ice in that bad boy and you're good to go.

It is actually pretty easy to eat healthy here. There are delis all over...subway isn't bad, salad places, places like europa and pax...you can get salads which you make yourself so you can tell the employees exactly what you want in it...they have low-fat and fat free dressings...as well as soups that run about 200 cals max. The healthy food is out there, you may have to do some digging and shell out some cash. The good stuff doesn't come cheap.

Good luck!

Old 06-30-2009, 10:20 AM

657 posts, read 1,632,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I think its very possible. It just takes discipline. You think its bad here imagine how it must be in the deep south. NYC has so many culinary options, many of which are actually healthy, and there are also a lot of vegetarian options. Plus fruits and vegetables are usually pretty cheap in NYC except for more exotic things.
I dunno, I always assumed the South had much healthier eating options that up north.

Thanks for all the advice though.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:40 AM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
I dunno, I always assumed the South had much healthier eating options that up north.

Thanks for all the advice though.
You mean the place that is known for great BBQ and fried chicken? Nah, plenty of people in the city are health nuts and vegetarians.

Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM

341 posts, read 452,558 times
I must admit..it's MIGHTY hard to eat healthy here..for less than a million dollars a plate :lol:.
I made a rule that I can have kebabs (they aren't too bad)...and small portions of stuff...but no outright sweets, etc.Roasted nuts once in a while..ok...
If I go have chinese..I get a soup..or veggies and meat. If I have latin food (this is MUCH harder) i have a seafood salad, or meat with plantains...ask for them baked haha

Old 06-30-2009, 04:30 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times
I've found it pretty easy to eat healthy in Washington Heights and Williamsburg, but it was definitely an issue in Bed-Stuy. It really does seem dependent on the neighborhood that you're in. In the Heights, groceries and fresh fruits were cheap and easily accessible while Williamsburg had a good number of fairly health-conscious restaurants. Right now I'm spending some time in the LES, and the healthy dining options and markets provide me plenty of healthful eating. I have friends from all over Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan and their experiences are pretty much in line with mine where (accessible) healthful eating has been dependent on the neighborhood (as far as affordable, healthy restaurants and affordable, good produce). As far as clean water goes, I've yet to have any problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City