Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 01:21 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,089,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Were those all Aldi's brands?
I'm going to assume yes, as most of their items are their brands, with a few national name brands here and there.

I believe Aldi and Trader Joe's is owned by the same company (the Aldi family), but not 100% sure. Regardless, I like Aldi, it's affordable, no frills, and most of the stuff if pretty quality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 02:25 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Lol soda is literally the worst thing you can put in your body. Forget about fat content. Forget about calories. Forget about cholesterol. You can be a healthy person and eat that stuff correctly. Sugar on the other hand, particular refined sugar like that in soda, is absolute poison. And the main reason IMO that people are such unhealthy, tubs of crap. That and constant fast food that is. Yes that may sound like it goes against what I just said, but that stuff is just bad fat/calories/cholesterol. I eat the fack outta red meat and eggs and cheese and the such on the regular. And I'm built like a statue, son. You just gotta do it right. Eat balanced. Plenty of veggies (more than fruit). Drop the soda. Drop the store bought iced tea. Drop the juice even. Drink water only. If you need that fix, drink seltzer water. When it's cold, it's refreshing as hell.

/rant
Just to let you know, just because you work out a lot doesn't mean eating copious amounts of red meat, cheese, and eggs makes you healthy. Your body may APPEAR to be healthy, but you will develop heart disease. We should all be eating mainly veggies and fruit along with nuts and legumes. We have become so meat centric! We are omnivores, not carnivores.

I always laugh when people complain about Chipotle or Subway for not giving them a mountain of meat. That's not the point of being healthy! I guess it takes time to change this country.

Old 09-25-2013, 02:55 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,237,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I'm going to assume yes, as most of their items are their brands, with a few national name brands here and there.

I believe Aldi and Trader Joe's is owned by the same company (the Aldi family), but not 100% sure. Regardless, I like Aldi, it's affordable, no frills, and most of the stuff if pretty quality.
thanks! I wish there were more Aldi's around. Trader Joe's has more locations but I don't like their meats and produce. I found they were more expensive compared to larger chain stores.

Usually store brands are much less expensive and I've found on many occassions that the store brands were just as good as name brands (depends on the item, of course).

Old 09-25-2013, 08:08 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,217,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Just to let you know, just because you work out a lot doesn't mean eating copious amounts of red meat, cheese, and eggs makes you healthy. Your body may APPEAR to be healthy, but you will develop heart disease. We should all be eating mainly veggies and fruit along with nuts and legumes. We have become so meat centric! We are omnivores, not carnivores.

I always laugh when people complain about Chipotle or Subway for not giving them a mountain of meat. That's not the point of being healthy! I guess it takes time to change this country.

Ok, so one way you could have gone would have been to completely ignore key points of my post and cherry pick like one sentence. I see you went that way lol. You can always count on the internet for doing that. I find it fascinating.

Just to reiterate I guess: Yes we are omnivores. That's why I explicitly said "You just gotta do it right. Eat balanced. Plenty of veggies (more than fruit). I also clearly clarified that you can eat meat and still be a healthy person...."You can be a healthy person and eat that stuff correctly" and "And the main reason IMO people are such unhealthy, tubs of crap. That and constant fast food that is." There is a big difference in scarfing down McDonald's/KFC every week and buying lean, grass-fed (when available) meats, balanced with veggies and other good stuff . I honestly didn't really think I need to explain that.

And I don't simply do bicep curls man. I run and bike on the regular as well as strength training. Not everybody needs to only eat nuts and legumes for protein. To be honest, they are not even complete proteins. Don't get me wrong, they're fine and I eat them as well. But as a protein source, they are not as good as meat. Nothing is.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:56 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Quote:
I believe Aldi and Trader Joe's is owned by the same company (the Aldi family),
but not 100% sure

The individual groups were originally owned and managed by brothers Karl Albrecht and Theo Albrecht. Karl Albrecht retains ownership of Aldi Süd, and with a personal wealth of €17.2 billion, is the richest man in Germany, while the co-owners of Aldi Nord, Berthold and Theo Albrecht Jr., follow close behind at €16 billion.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:48 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Iguana View Post
well said, well, I guess is just not many people have the interest for it. but why would you be so good at it, you like to cook for your husband or family? Jk.

Do you guys have any good breakfast to recommend??
My wife and I are about 60/40 on the cooking with her doing the majority of it.

Old 09-26-2013, 07:08 PM

81 posts, read 100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
My wife and I are about 60/40 on the cooking with her doing the majority of it.
ah, my wife and I are oppsite. I do most of it, she does less.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:38 PM

259 posts, read 368,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post

I finally went to Aldi's in East Harlem last night. I like it and I wish there was one closer to where I am in central Brooklyn. (I'm not going out to Sheepshead Bay.) The prices for trash bags and kitty litter are especially good (for example).

Speaking of no-frills, does anyone else remember when Pathmark carried "no-frills" items with the white labels on them? Those were even cheaper than the store brand (which at Pathmark isn't always that much cheaper than the national brand now, especially when the store brand is on sale).

Old 09-27-2013, 07:01 AM

1,119 posts, read 2,654,092 times
Check out "Three Guys From Brooklyn", they open 24/7.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:24 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
There is only one Aldi's? I want to check this place out now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City