Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 11:37 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by magecarin View Post
Thanks for your answer, I tried google but there is very little to no info regarding this. Basically imagine tourist going to USA for months, what legal options of health insurance is there regarding pregnancy etc. The nice thing about obama care is that health insurance companies have to give you insurance even if you have preexisting conditions like cancer or if you are pregnant, all this obviously applies to US citizens, we can always get it "for free" by simply showing up in emergency room when she is around her term but then federal government would have to pay for it and that's not really how we wanna start new live in USA. We like to pay for things we use and services we get, sadly at the same time paying 10 or 20k $ for regular child birth is bit out of our budget....
What does a tourist do for health insurance coverage when they are travelling in the US? All my family from Europe buy Holiday Travel Insurance.

Just so we're clear, you will NOT be eligible for Obamacare Health Insurance. You may make a comment about "Mexicans", but you are still coming here the same way as those you disparage - ILLEGALLY. You are coming on a holiday visa. You do NOT have a work visa. Any work you get will be off the books until you figure out HOW to stay here and work legally.

If you were working in Ireland, why not just go back there? The housing is far cheaper there now (thanks to the market/real estate bust) than it will EVER be here in NYC. As an EEU member, you are eligible to work there, your wife would be eligible for insurance. Everything nice and neat. While you're working there, you can take yourself to the American Embassy in Dublin and apply for a valid US Work Visa based on your particular skills.

You seem to be trying to make this harder for yourself and your wife. The last thing she needs when pregnant is stress and an uncertain future lurking in the shadows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 11:40 AM

40 posts, read 48,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
One thing to consider is whether or not you guys are willing to try another US city. Of course I don't know much about your personal situation but it might very well be that going to maybe Philadelphia or some such would be a good choice.

Security checks and stuff, I wouldn't worry about too much. If you do pay a lot of money upfront, I'm sure there will be some landlords willing to take it. I do have to say though, NYC has become much more expensive since you've left and it seems to have been accelerating in the past two years.
We thought about that, maybe San Francisco.... it is bit hard, from US I lived 1 year in Madison (WI), 6 years in NYC and 1 year at Hawaii (Mau), of course I traveled a lot around US and visited most states but those were all short visits and I have no idea where situation would be better

New York for us has these advantages:

1. it is city we both love
2. it is "relatively" close to our home (east coast is still much closer than west coast - US is huge country)
3. even though lot of changed since I lived there it is still the place I "know", last time we went to NYC was september 2011 just for few weeks and yeah, we still love it
4. while its horribly expensive as far as living cost goes - work options are limitless and sky is the limit - you can't say this about many cities...
5. I already made fortune in NYC (managed to spent it later) so I know exactly what it means when I say you start at burger king, 3 months later you are in times square restaurant and 2 years later you enjoying your 1 year vacation at hawaii.... I honestly don't think this would happen anywhere else but then I know I made my money on ebay so its just bias toward NYC.

Old 10-06-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
What does a tourist do for health insurance coverage when they are travelling in the US? All my family from Europe buy Holiday Travel Insurance.

Just so we're clear, you will NOT be eligible for Obamacare Health Insurance. You may make a comment about "Mexicans", but you are still coming here the same way as those you disparage - ILLEGALLY. You are coming on a holiday visa. You do NOT have a work visa. Any work you get will be off the books until you figure out HOW to stay here and work legally.

If you were working in Ireland, why not just go back there? The housing is far cheaper there now (thanks to the market/real estate bust) than it will EVER be here in NYC. As an EEU member, you are eligible to work there, your wife would be eligible for insurance. Everything nice and neat. While you're working there, you can take yourself to the American Embassy in Dublin and apply for a valid US Work Visa based on your particular skills.

You seem to be trying to make this harder for yourself and your wife. The last thing she needs when pregnant is stress and an uncertain future lurking in the shadows.
Thanks for the answer but...have you actually lived in Ireland? Let me sum it up for you - rain rain rain... people who drink drink and drink. That about sums it up. I managed to be there for couple years but I had enough. I made a comment about mexican people because they are known for exploiting your emergency healthcare system, I was looking for other options. If there are none for us - fine, at least I tried.

We are not coming to US illegally, we do not need to jump any fences as for work, in my 1st post I mentioned I have SSN, did things change and do you nowadays need anything else but SSN to secure work? I don't think so. I understand that you guys do not really have much experience with process of actually getting work visa, let's just say that it is well let's say almost impossible, it is kind of like playing green card lottery, while it might happen- it is not likely. Which reminds me we should submit GC app

Last edited by magecarin; 10-06-2013 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: mistype

Old 10-06-2013, 12:00 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,060,391 times
So what European Country has gone Communist? I can find only:
China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,123,133 times
Quote:
in my 1st post I mentioned I have SSN, did things change and do you nowadays need anything else but SSN to secure work?
No, in your first post you said you do NOT have an SSN number. Very confusing.

Quote:
will we have a chance to get on that train without SSN? We will be in the country legally - at that time anyway - but somehow I doubt that we will get SSN, not the one matching with name anyway

Old 10-06-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, in your first post you said you do NOT have an SSN number. Very confusing.
ehm my bad, it is bit confusing so let me explain...

in 1998 I was in Wisconsin, there I worked for Marriot under company who did no require any documents from me... I did not like that situation too much so I tried to get some kind of documents, I found some contacts and managed to get green card and SSN - while green card was obviously fake from look of it the SSN looked just fine, that said I have no doubt that several hundred $$$ I paid for it at that time would not buy me some bribed officer but rather just some half decent photoshop work.

This card I used and used and used and never did I run into any issues so long story short while I don't PROBABLY have official SSN I have one I can use and get a work, while there are some programs requiring employers to check if name on SSN actually matches the name which SSN administration has on file New York is not one of states who uses this program (amazing what you can find on google), so that's another point for NY.

Now I do not know for sure if my SSN is legit or fake but I don't really need to know, as long as my employer is fine with it - and so far they all were - I am fine with it and if taxes I paid goes to government and I am not getting anything back like normal americans would at the end of tax year - I can live with that. I had great time in USA and while most ppl hate taxes - it is needed to actually pay for all the services government provides. My wife does not have SSN though and she is not getting one - legal way anyway.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
So what European Country has gone Communist? I can find only:
China, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, and Vietnam.
give it a month, elections are coming end of October and from prognosis communist part has between 15 to 25 %.... it is simply going to be hell for next generation to live here and it is kind of hell now - corrupt politicians and all that great stuff, sadly vast majority of ppl don't have option to simply pack their bags and leave

Old 10-06-2013, 12:26 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,027,144 times
What country are you from? Italy? Not Moldova, they kicked the communists out.

It's easiest to move to NYC with a job already in hand, unless you have friends or family willing to let you crash for a while.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:30 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,832,939 times
So basically you want to use your fake green card to come here and leach off obama care? Hm. No thanks.

Old 10-06-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
What country are you from? Italy? Not Moldova, they kicked the communists out.

It's easiest to move to NYC with a job already in hand, unless you have friends or family willing to let you crash for a while.
Czech communists to return in office for first time since 1989 | EurActiv

yes it is easiest to move when you already have a job, but sadly we will have to find our jobs when we get there, nyc is big place though and we are not picky - we take w/e will come along and move up from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City