Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 12:55 PM

40 posts, read 48,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Well your are a glowing example of why you need more than a SSN to get a job!

No one cares what they do in your country.
I don't mean to be rude but your attacking tone is not too nice. Btw if you are 22 I guess that would explain it.

Have you seen that I have green card and SSN? I just did not use GC for years nor did I think I would ever need it but I guess I will need one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
You might want to "read up" a bit, you know, on your own and all.

FYI - Of late, I have noticed people showing up here from the failing Irish and Greek economies in particular, a desperate and not especially qualified bunch - the latter a requirement here before hiring. You must be deemed more qualified than any citizen applicants. This came to my notice when I saw a few people "appointed" who were notably UNqualified, with the exception of having friendships and shared nationalities with the people in charge. Cronyism at its best. Under the radar now but not for long as things worsen.

There will be a backlash about this and I think it is justified. Citizens are looking for work and should have first priority.
No I am not greek nor irish, talking about failing economies.... is not this bit of a case of pot calling kettle black? You do know that US government right now has some serious issues right? You do know that vast majority of stuff you buy in USA is made in China right? You do know that your country had (by far) the biggest debt in the world? You do know if China decided tomorrow to cash on all debts USA would be bankrupt in no time right?

I know that folks in USA are taught that USA is number 1, best and all that and don't get me wrong, it is great country but sometimes it would be nice to go through bit of a reality check.... just saying.

As for citizens who want to work and bad immigrants take it from them - 1st unless your grandgrandgrand.....parents are indians you are immigrant, like 99% of ppl who now lives in USA so this hatred against immigrant is bit illogical and 2nd - do you really think that if immigration kicked tomorrow say all 30 millions illegal Mexicans back to Mexico that US citizens would do dishwashing jobs for 2$/hour or w/e going rate is nowadays? Probably not - and what would that mean ? hmmm

USA needs immigrants, sorry let me rephrase that USA needs illegal immigrants... believe it or not it is true.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:06 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magecarin View Post
No I am not greek nor irish, talking about failing economies.... is not this bit of a case of pot calling kettle black? You do know that US government right now has some serious issues right? You do know that vast majority of stuff you buy in USA is made in China right? You do know that your country had (by far) the biggest debt in the world? You do know if China decided tomorrow to cash on all debts USA would be bankrupt in no time right?
And yet, you want to bring your family here. Why not move to another EUC? It would be cheaper for you and your wife.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:13 PM

Much cheaper but as I said I like US and so does she, despite it's many problems it is great country, I knew you would quote that part but you should read whole paragraph and not only pick what you like

It kinda sucks with those green cards, like if insurance was not problem enough now I have to get us new gc's :/ But as the saying goes where there is will there's way.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:20 PM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
I think we have leg pulled.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Czech?

What a weird thread.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:30 PM

It sucks a bit that you can not see my IP address and thus my location, I am not pulling your leg. Everything I said in this thread is 100% legit. I am thankful though about that GC, that would be a nasty surprise if we came without it, I dunno why I always assumed that once you are citizen that simply the fact you have SSN and english to match native lvl will suffice.

What about ppl who do not have passport - many don't travel, do they have to provide birth certificate to get a job?
I though that simply state ID and SSN will do it but I guess I was wrong.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:31 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magecarin View Post
Ups I am sorry for coming here and asking for advices, I assumed this was a place for it and since some of you live in NYC and I don't you have info which might be useful - silly me. Not sure what exactly is "off" but I guess our situation is bit unique.

I don't really want to argue about paper and documents and legality and all that, I did not really bring this one up nor do I think it matters much that we all agree, we can simply agree to disagree on these issues and leave it at that.
Well, that's the whole problem -- that you think that papers, documents and legality don't matter.

This is the NYC forum. If you're looking for support, maybe you can find an illegal immigrant forum. Probably not on City Data though, and most likely not in English.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Czech?

What a weird thread.
yeah it is bit of a weird situation, sorry

it would be still nice to have for our child US citizenship, I still believe that 20 years down the line US will be better off than Czech republic... which granted does not say much hehe but still.... so much pain ahead.... but at the end of the day - you would do what is best for your kid I guess.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Well, that's the whole problem -- that you think that papers, documents and legality don't matter.

This is the NYC forum. If you're looking for support, maybe you can find an illegal immigrant forum. Probably not on City Data though, and most likely not in English.
again 99 out of 100 of you were immigrants at one point or another if not you then your parents, grandparents etc.... is that not true?

being illegal without any documents whatsoever = paying 0 taxes
being illegal with some documents = paying taxes (more actually than US citizen as he would get some back)
so tell me - from these 2 options, what is better for the government?

And let me be clear I do not advocate for ppl being illegal - not at all but sadly sometimes and for many it is the only way how to do things....

Why discuss something when it is obvious person A see it white and person B see it black - and both have more or less valid points.... is not better simply agree to disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City