Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:10 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,641,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Uh oh, the Geritol brigade is incoming. Hide your Werthers Original candies before the walker pushers get hold of them.

I expect this type of reaction, especially on this website from the older, crankier people who hate anything that is deemed "edgy". Its okay and I understand why they would see it as an eyesore. I'm the first to berate anything ghetto so it comes as kind of a contradiction that I'm sad to see this place go and graffiti goes hand-in-hand with vandalism and the hoodlum life style in a lot of ways. When given a forum, a place to do so legally, I can definitely appreciate the art, ingenuity and mastery that graffiti artist have. Some of the most artistic, creative work I've seen has come from graffiti artist.

Everyone is going to have their opinions though. As for me, it sucks to see this go and have another two shiny, generic looking sky rises loom over L.I.C.. 5 Pointz gave L.I.C. that edginess and especially being next to the womb museum and across the street from P.S.1. MOMA, there was a nice hub of art being produced. Oh well, welcome to the new era of NYC...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2013, 10:11 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM View Post
Sad to see it go, but not surprised. Just more homogenization of the city.

I was in van with this 60-sutn year old Archie Bunker-type (looks AND behavior) white guy and teenage boy on the way to work at the Javitz few months ago. Ride was pretty much quiet until I saw 5 Ptz in the distance and mentioned to teen that the building far in the distance with the Biggie mural is a graffiti museum and that it was soon to be closed.

All of a sudden van swerved to the side, and came to screeching halt. Archie started talking at top of lungs "WHERE? WHAT? I gotta uffin go there, I'm uffin goin'!" and goes into this story about how he was a pioneer in graffiti, how many bookbags he had for his "arsenal" of markers and paint, and how he and his peoples were in the "Wild Style" flick. No one would've ever expected that from that guy.
Let me just surprise you with a few other things....

Your generation did not discover sex.
Computers were around way before you probably were born..invented by those "60-sutn"s
Those old guys smoked weed way before you were even c$appin your diapers
Even thos seniors were stupid enough to do graffiti

Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 AM

60 posts, read 80,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Nothing wrong with getting rid of that ghetto "art".
I'm still around, brah. Tread lightly.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:12 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,327,483 times
When you paint on your property it's art.

When you paint on someone else's property it's blight.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:21 AM

420 posts, read 698,256 times
Quote:
Let me just surprise you with a few other things....

Your generation did not discover sex.
Computers were around way before you probably were born..invented by those "60-sutn"s
Those old guys smoked weed way before you were even c$appin your diapers
Even thos seniors were stupid enough to do graffiti
Whoa your tone.. your tone! Why so angry? Lemme guess, the lil lady put that viag on top the fridge where you cant reach it again. Ask around before you talk to Roam with that type of tone, scrappy!

Just to keep it civil this afternoon, I was referring more to his personality type and his age. He actually a living version of the sentiments of most of your posts, that's why it was suprising that he was so excited about "ghetto art".

Last edited by ROAM; 10-10-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-10-2013, 10:27 AM

466 posts, read 902,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
When you paint on your property it's art.

When you paint on someone else's property it's blight.
Okay, so what is your problem with 5 Pointz? It is a designated space for graffiti art. It's painted by request.

edit: My guess is that you don't really know what you're talking about, which would explain why you're making a fool of yourself.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:30 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,068,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
Okay, so what is your problem with 5 Pointz? It is a designated space for graffiti art. It's painted by request.
I guess his point is that graffiti is to art what rap is to music.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:31 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,726,002 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with getting rid of that ghetto "art".
"ghetto art" is the crappy tags you see on buildings where ghetto people have 10 seconds to complete before they have to run away to avoid getting caught.

5 pointz you have to get a permit for a section of wall to display your art legally. you can take as much time as you want and be as precise as you want.

Do you consider murals to be ghetto art? Because that's what most the pieces are.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:32 AM

466 posts, read 902,304 times
Quote:
I guess his point is that graffiti is to art what rap is to music.
They are versions of each. Thanks for pointing out what the cultured among us already know.

Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,303 times
lol @ the people on here condemning Five Pointz who apparently don't even know what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City