Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:24 PM

4 posts, read 4,473 times

Advertisements

I recently completed an eight year rental period with a very large rental management in New York City. On the last day of walk through, 5 days prior to scheduled lease end date, a building employee signed off that the apartment looks beautiful and I left happily with a copy.
Two months had passed and I received in the mail "my" copy with an add on handwritten language after the paper was signed without that language to advise of a closet removal at $400 which is hereby deducted from my deposit.
While I would have done it for much less or close to nothing if I was advised on my walk through date that it should be removed, I saw no reason to do it if it looked as a "pass" to the examiner
So note- I am admitting to having a professional install an identical (material wise) extra closet - much needed - at my own expense but DISPUTING the management's forgery of the walk through papers, advise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2013, 05:43 PM

1,521 posts, read 1,817,544 times
yea he's a cheat but to recover the $400 it's going to be a headache, just like it was reading the last sentence

Old 10-19-2013, 05:54 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
was the closet approved by the management company when you first installed it???

the examiner probably thought that the extra closet was part of the apartment. When the super or landlord actually inspected it they probably noticed the 'extra' closet.

Tiddays!!!!!!!

Old 10-19-2013, 08:09 PM

as for approvals, as long as it is not a wall and one will restore the molding (down) and the paint to original, no questions asked. Either way does one murder call for a retaliation or the police? adding language on a signed doc is a forgery

Old 10-19-2013, 08:11 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane Annie View Post
as for approvals, as long as it is not a wall and one will restore the molding (down) and the paint to original, no questions asked. Either way does one murder call for a retaliation or the police? adding language on a signed doc is a forgery

Take it to an attorney who specializes in the law when it comes to rentals/leases and see what they say.

In answer to your question: YES ONE MURDER does call for retaliation (for some) and it does call for the Police all the time (or it should).

Old 10-19-2013, 08:17 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
one murder call and you will be the one in jail...

I am admitting to having a professional install an identical (material wise) extra closet - much needed - at my own expense but DISPUTING the management's forgery of the walk through papers, advise? What kind of closet is this?

Old 10-19-2013, 08:36 PM

518 posts, read 825,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane Annie View Post
For it to be forgery you would need to have an intent to defraud you by the management company which doesn't seem to be the case. The company position will surely be that the employee who did the walk through was a dork.

Old 10-19-2013, 09:06 PM

agreed Taxi guy, but not knowing doesn't make it right. what is your opinion about small claims court?

Old 10-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Default Ryu

that was simple two door white like in all rentals that was installed in the wide much wasted space foyer, exactly like the two closets already provided in the bedroom
when I said "murder" previously, I actually meant to use the wrong word, two wrongs don't make right

Old 10-19-2013, 09:34 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
I'm surprised the landlord took it out. If it was professionally done and looked like the others so it belonged. You would think the next tenant would love an extra closet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City