Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 05:58 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
C.I.A. = Culinary Institute of America??

This school is located in Hyde Park, NY. Not NYC.
I would suggest living in Hyde Park New York and not NYC. Or even Poughkeepsie.
Living in NYC you will be 80+ miles away from school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:03 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I would suggest living in Hyde Park New York and not NYC. Or even Poughkeepsie.
Living in NYC you will be 80+ miles away from school.
She said she's going to I.C.E., which is on 23rd St.
Culinary Programs & Cooking Schools in New York City | Institute of Culinary Education

Old 10-20-2013, 06:51 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
Oh I guess I got confused cause she said she was going to ICE but then stated I would rather go to CIA. If you are going to ICE, look into Queens as Henna stated.

Old 10-20-2013, 08:11 PM

6 posts, read 7,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Oh I guess I got confused cause she said she was going to ICE but then stated I would rather go to CIA. If you are going to ICE, look into Queens as Henna stated.
Yes I would rather go and when I researched I found Poughkeepsie would be better. Especially with pricing. But the school is $100,000 or more. But thanks anyways. I will look into Queens

Old 10-21-2013, 04:55 AM

466 posts, read 902,176 times
Is it a rule that culinary schools have to have acronyms similar to government agencies?

CIA = Central Intelligence Agency
ICE = Immigration and Customs Enforcement

I bet there's a French Baking Institute out there, too.

Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM

706 posts, read 1,042,362 times
I feel like you should re-consider this move.

NYC is expensive to begin with and by reading your posts it looks like you have either never been or visited it a few times. Do you have family in NYC? going to school, working and being a mom is a difficult task without the assistance of family and your husband. You say you current salary is 75K (is this your husband or yours or the combined salary??) You said the you will be working in NYC, do you have a job already lined up?

Rent, food, MTA transportation, food for your baby, con ed, tuition fees, cell phone bill, Internet bill, books, daycare, weekend daycare (if you have to work during the weekends) This can be anywhere from 2200 to 3000 monthly expenses.

Why not just finish your culinary schooling in San Diego? It will be less expensive and you will keep you current job. If you are a great cook it does not matter what school you graduate from? Also, that school link that ryu posted looks ok.

The Price Tags for 11 Culinary Schools Across the Country - Culinary School Wire - Eater National

Old 10-21-2013, 06:05 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you require a one bedroom at that price, you might have to branch out into other neighborhoods that are not as transit accessible (bus to subway) such as Glendale or Middle Village. Being further from the train usually means lower rental prices.
Add Ridgewood Queens, which is very similar to Glendale and Middle Village just with better train service. I believe that the M train would take you only a block or so away from your school.

Also, Christ the King has childcare which is right next to the M train Metropolitan ave station. It is reasonably priced for NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City