Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 08:16 AM

22 posts, read 46,417 times

Advertisements

Once your child is accepted to a Gifted and Talented program, does he/she need to take the test every year to stay in the program? I didn't think so, but wanted to make sure.
I think you would only re-take if somehow you didn't like the current school and wanted to transfer to a different G&T school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 06:08 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
No. Once a kid in, he's in through the highest level the school goes to. There are not tests every year for each grade.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM

136 posts, read 240,420 times
Default G&t

You do not need to retest every year, but if the child does not keep up, he/she may be removed from the program. Also, programs lose funding. And you may move. I am not seeing anything special in my kid's G&T program, it seems very basic. I shudder to think what the non G&T programs are like. Dumbed down to the lowest common denominator.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
You do not need to retest every year, but if the child does not keep up, he/she may be removed from the program.
This is not true, and actually the opposite. Schools cannot kick you out of a G&T class for any reason except disciplinary or failing to pass DOE testing on basic curriculum (which is not G&T). Your kid would have to be doing really really poorly for the school to even approach you and hint that it would be in your best interest to withdraw. But it has to be voluntary, they cannot force you out once you are in (which is stupid considering they test 4 year olds to get in, and at a school like NEST+ the child is guaranteed a seat through high school)

Old 10-29-2013, 01:48 PM

136 posts, read 240,420 times
Default G&t

Yes indeed it is true. If a child is doing poorly or if there are attendance issues you can be asked to leave a G&T program. I am not talking about the specialty schools, I am talking about the G&T programs within regular schools. Yes, you will have to consent, but you will be asked to leave and your grades will reflect nonperformance.

Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silly_mama2002 View Post
Yes indeed it is true. If a child is doing poorly or if there are attendance issues you can be asked to leave a G&T program.
No way - they have no authority to remove a child from a G&T program for not keeping up with the G&T acceleration. That applies to the district AND citywide programs. The most they can do is ask you to leave, if you refuse, nothing happens and nothing can happen as long as the child is meeting the basic curriculum standards for pass/fail. Don't believe me? call the DOE 718-935-2984 and ask for yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City