Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 09:26 PM

857 posts, read 1,201,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Perhaps if you typed your post in proper English he would have been able to read it? This isn't an Aol chatroom. If you're going to make a serious point present it with proper spelling and grammar.
its easy enough to understand.......i know what i said maybe controversial but its not like i typed in klingon......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 09:40 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Disclaimer: I didn't read the entire op because it was long. I just skimmed.

This is the question that I always throw out when I hear the gentrification objections, particularly when it pertains to people getting "forced" (priced) out. Did it not behoove those concerned to plant financial roots by buying homes in their neighborhood? Especially when it was dirt cheap 15+ years ago to do so? Or if buying solo was to much, pooling resources with family/friends to buy something. I know that circa 2003, you could find a 1 bed condo or co-op for under $130K in Clinton Hill. The studios would have been under $100K. You don't have to have that high of a salary to swing that type of mortgage. I also know of examples of siblings that bought together b/c individually their incomes weren't high enough.

Now, before the op starts directing anger at my statement above, I want an honest response to the above.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2219 View Post
its easy enough to understand.......i know what i said maybe controversial but its not like i typed in klingon......
I hate when people misuse ellipses.

Old 10-27-2013, 09:55 PM

916 posts, read 2,247,034 times
I tired, but it's too damn long to read. Bye~

Old 10-27-2013, 10:27 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,405,966 times
I wonder where will the gentry be in 10 years. Will they be played out by then?

Old 10-28-2013, 01:06 AM

Quote:

- yall were not the first ones to try and fix and fight for the neighborhood. Yes, alot of the locals were ignorant as all hell and didnt give a f****.....but youre either an idiot or just uninformed if u think that there werent concerned local residents who didnt go to community board meetings or demand that the city do their job in providing basic services.....they tried to work with police who didnt care to serve and protect the area.....if they tried to report criminal activity, the cops didnt serve and protect them when the criminals attacked these concerned citizens as punishment for speaking out (hence why even law abiding locals dont talk to the cops)......like i said before, these people were in the wrong income bracket and most of them were not the right ethnicity or skin color (since the cops and the city departments were too busy catering to people like yourselves). I also need yall to get familiar with a CDC (community development corporations)......all those inexpensive townhouses that were built over the vacant lots in many urban cities in the 90s? yea, locally run and organized community development corporations are responsible for alot of that.....as well as the community gardens that the developers destroyed when yall started moving in.......
This is what i had to say in regards to how locals pre gentrification dealt with crime

Quote:
- you say "well maybe if yall owned your buildings gentrification wouldnt have taken place" Wrong again. For starters, in a poor area, many of the people are barely making rent and some worry about where their next meal is coming from. So its not going to be an area with large homeownership to begin with. However, nuff of the locals owned their property. True, there were those that sold them and moved away (i wonder if they realized the gentrification invasion that was about to happen) but there were those who stayed. And when the gentrifiers started moving in, property taxes skyrocketed and then once the greedy real estate developers got involved, all sorts of legal loopholes were deployed to try and force the remaining homeowners out their homes. In DC, my ex gf lived in a gentrifying area in a co-op. The co-op board had numerous court battles with the developers trying to buy the place so they can turn it into luxury yuppie condos. Needless to say, the locals lost and she had to move and well......yea this illustrates my point.
This is what i said in regards to home ownership prior to gentrification. I cut and paste these sections of my post since its length may have scared away some. Please read these before asking me any more questions about crime or home ownership.

Last edited by shooter2219; 10-28-2013 at 01:18 AM..

Old 10-28-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I hate when people misuse ellipses.
well gee I TOTALLY missed the memo that said posting here was the equivalent of writing an english paper for a college professor

Old 10-28-2013, 04:41 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Tuff *****.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:34 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,256,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Perhaps if you typed your post in proper English he would have been able to read it? This isn't an Aol chatroom. If you're going to make a serious point present it with proper spelling and grammar.
This!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
I wonder where will the gentry be in 10 years. Will they be played out by then?
I think that depends on the job market at that point. Anything is possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City