Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose Your Heath Care Preference
Exactly what we had before 16 37.21%
ObamaCare as the Law is Written 2 4.65%
Universal Single Payer care, aka everyone in Medicare 20 46.51%
other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 07:25 AM

25,376 posts, read 37,106,935 times

Advertisements

If you live in the NYC Metropolitan area Vote Your Health Care Preference
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 08:01 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,619,890 times
Single payer.

Whether Obamacare is better or worse than what we had before is unclear. We'll find out in the coming months, I guess.

Edit: to make this somewhat NYC-specific...out of curiosity I priced some plans w/ federal subsidies at various income levels and concluded that the federal subsidies are simply not adequate in New York because of our cost of living. Also, the plans seem quite expensive, to me anyway.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:08 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,545,469 times
Not in NYC, but up here Obamacare isn't really changing much. It's similar to what we already have.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:33 AM

I chose single payer because of equity and costs. The Total Health Care budget of the United States in about $2.6 TRILLION per year.
The government delivers health care via Medicare and VA at an overhead cost of about 3%. Insurance companies have traditionally used about 28% of the pie as profits, advertising, duplicated billing departments, staffs of lawyers. etc.

Getting rid of that 25% differential would cut the cost of our annual health bill by $650 BILLION per year. This single savings could go a long way towards diminishing our endless stream of deficits. Why should we be so willing to dump all this money into the pockets of Aetna, Allstate, Oxford, and Blue Cross?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:35 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Not in NYC, but up here Obamacare isn't really changing much. It's similar to what we already have.
Not true at all. I have numerous friends who have had their work hours slashed from 40 to 29 per week. Btw 2/3 work for universities. Their losing an avg of about 10K a year.

Old 10-31-2013, 08:38 AM

8,697 posts, read 11,092,897 times
its all broken.

Taxpayers should not pay for sickly people. Sickly people should not subsidized by healthy people. For example, if you smoke....pay the consequences.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,333,141 times
Well, at least the ACA is trying to fix a royally f***** up system. We're supposed to be a developed country but there are so many things that are embarrassingly "third world" in America. What a shame!

Old 10-31-2013, 10:10 AM

2,228 posts, read 3,691,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well, at least the ACA is trying to fix a royally f***** up system. We're supposed to be a developed country but there are so many things that are embarrassingly "third world" in America. What a shame!
ACA isn't fixing something for people who were happy with the present system. Now people who were PROMISED that they could keep their plans and current Dr's CANNOT. Actually that number is 19 million counting. If your poor or "worked Off the books" then you hit another great entitlement. if you work it's plain and simple. You WILL pay more. Once again Congress and Obama himself are exempt from the very care that they jammed down the Americans throats.

Last edited by Norwood Boy; 10-31-2013 at 10:18 AM..

Old 10-31-2013, 11:18 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,543,529 times
To all who like single payor... if the federal government can't even roll out Obamacare effectively, do you honestly think they can handle an even more massive single payor system?

Even medicare will be insolvent in a few years. Medicaid is a total clusterF (I'm a doctor and I'm glad I refuse it).

The federal government is not the answer.

Old 10-31-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
To all who like single payor... if the federal government can't even roll out Obamacare effectively, do you honestly think they can handle an even more massive single payor system?

Even medicare will be insolvent in a few years. Medicaid is a total clusterF (I'm a doctor and I'm glad I refuse it).

The federal government is not the answer.

Yep...Medicare runs very well. With universal Medicare, there would be no need for Medicaid.

The Federal government runs these huge insurance plans very cheaply but the private insurers charge an immense overhead.

Medicare will not be insolvent any quicker than the military budget which goes insolvent until the next pile of tax money is allocated in a couple months.
Why not compare apples with apples...a 3% tax on all income to pay for DEFENSE? Then we can see whether or nor not Medicare is more or less bankrupting than endless war preparation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City