Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Choose Your Heath Care Preference
Exactly what we had before 16 37.21%
ObamaCare as the Law is Written 2 4.65%
Universal Single Payer care, aka everyone in Medicare 20 46.51%
other 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 11:37 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
To all who like single payor... if the federal government can't even roll out Obamacare effectively, do you honestly think they can handle an even more massive single payor system?

Even medicare will be insolvent in a few years. Medicaid is a total clusterF (I'm a doctor and I'm glad I refuse it).

The federal government is not the answer.
Why does almost every other developed country have a functioning single-payer health care system?

Is America uniquely incompetent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
ACA isn't fixing something for people who were happy with the present system. Now people who were PROMISED that they could keep their plans and current Dr's CANNOT. Actually that number is 19 million counting. If your poor or "worked Off the books" then you hit another great entitlement. if you work it's plain and simple. You WILL pay more. Once again Congress and Obama himself are exempt from the very care that they jammed down the Americans throats.
But for a lot of people the current system does not work! Why is that so hard to understand? I have many stories from people I know (not just propaganda that the news puts out) that ACA is a big help. A friend from high school with a pre existing condition who could not get coverage but now can. One of the most horrible is a woman who was denied a lime disease test by her provider because they said it was too expensive and they didn't want to pay for the test! Well, turns out what she had was indeed lime disease but by the time they agreed to test, it had progressed so far it was untreatable. She is so debilitated by it she needs round the clock care to do basic things like eat, bathe, and go to the toilet. This wasn't some shiftless person either, she was a young teacher. Her life totally ruined by our horrendous system.

Personally my employer already pays 100% of my health coverage so there is no difference for me but I know many examples where this is a good thing. The roll out of the website, however has been a cluster f*** lol!

Old 10-31-2013, 12:08 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Personally my employer already pays 100% of my health coverage so there is no difference for me but I know many examples where this is a good thing. The roll out of the website, however has been a cluster f*** lol!
The real pain hasn't even kicked in yet.

Wait till the employer mandate kicks in. When the existing employer insurances doesn't meet the standards set by Obamacare, watch employers dump their employees insurance into the exchanges (or even lay them off).

There is a reason Obama delayed the employer madate for a year. It will be a bloodbath when that time comes.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:15 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,100,522 times
I'm in a health plan that covers everything but many people are suffering with lack of health insurance. Too many have lost their coverage due to downsizing. When a serious illness occurs with no insurance its a disaster. The ACA plans are too expensive for a low wage earner even with the tax benefits so they are likely to take the penalty and remain uninsured, leading to greater losses to the hospitals when these uninsured do become ill. Single payer is the best option to cover the most people at the lowest cost.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:28 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
its all broken.

Taxpayers should not pay for sickly people. Sickly people should not subsidized by healthy people. For example, if you smoke....pay the consequences.
Anyone can become sickly without fault of their own. You can run a mile and eat wheat bran and still get cancer. Are you serious with your comment?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:36 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Anyone can become sickly without fault of their own. You can run a mile and eat wheat bran and still get cancer. Are you serious with your comment?
Do you not know what the concept of risk is? Under Obamacare or Single payer I, as a fit 39 year old, may actually pay more than someone who has diabetes or heart disease due to my age or income. How is that fair?

Old 10-31-2013, 01:00 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,690,119 times
Shifty, I tried to rep you. The whole system is a total mess. IMO it's a form of income redistribution by our Potus. Thousands of people lost full time jobs. 40 hours to 29 hours weekly. That's not also counting 19 million plus who have now received cancellation notices from their current insurances. Potus said that would NOT happen but that's a total lie. At the end of the day if your poor your gonna get some free health care. If you work and have some skin in the game. Your gonna pay a lot more. BTW not even getting into the controversial parts of the bill that mandates Catholic hospitals to pay for abortions. It's gonna be funny watching Democrats in 2014 midterms running from this train wreck. Truth be told this country deserves what it gets.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:21 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,907 times
Norwood Boy, you nailed it... income redistribution. And its not the rich getting the biggest hit. Obamacare directly affects the wallets of the middle class. The middle class is getting a massive punch in the gut. You are forced to buy insurance, pay a tax if you don't , or have your existing premuims rise to cover the unhealthy. And those of you who think you are unaffected if your employer is footing your insurance, wait for the delayed employer mandate to kick in. Your employer may end up dropping your insurance so you can go on the exchanges, make you part-time or just lay you off.

Eitherway, the middle class gets screwed over massively. Everyone will feel it in your wallets. I recall Obama cleary stating it was not a tax, until the Supreme court called it a tax in order for it to be legal.

And single payor system ain't gonna be cheaper either... its got to be paid somehow. There is a reason why europeans pay 40-60% income tax and 20% VAT (sales taxes)... how else are you gonna pay for all your entitlements? Single payor does not equal magical free healthcare.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
And single payor system ain't gonna be cheaper either... its got to be paid somehow. There is a reason why europeans pay 40-60% income tax and 20% VAT (sales taxes)... how else are you gonna pay for all your entitlements? Single payor does not equal magical free healthcare.
It isn't free but it's much cheaper. http://newshour.s3.amazonaws.com/pho..._slideshow.jpg

There are multiple reasons, but a big one is that the government can negotiate lower prices if it's the dominant payer.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
People talk about the unhealthy from their so-called vantage point of being "healthy" ..the point of my post was that fit people get conditions that has little to do with their habits. Or are born with conditions through no fault of their own. Are you saying that these people should remain uninsured?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City