Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:19 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,145,216 times

Advertisements

It's the most standard as is lease. They basically had me get the lease and they would sign it (yeah they are that lazy). I don't mind deducting from rent, but I get concerned they will suddenly say oops, we don't remember doing that. Knowing how long it takes to fight these issues, I would rather they deal with the situation.

They are a husband and wife that lived there for 16 years. They moved out to Long Island so they don't really care to check up on the place. They own the apartment and we signed an agreement for sublease.

Thank you everyone for the information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,492,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
Soooo, if you have read past posts by me, our landlord is incredibly lazy. To get anything done, we have to basically plead with them to send someone to take a look at it. Now we have a new one. I ask on here again because you have given great advice in handling the previous issues.

Over the last year, the oven has been pretty bad. Most things take at least 5-10 mins more time to cook properly. To get it to start you have to push the knob and turn all the way to 550 for at least 10 seconds. Randomly, you will be baking something and come to check on it to find the oven doesn't seem hot enough. Check it again, and realize it shut off. Over the last 3 days it has happened every time. Put in the already made sugar cookies, after 20 mins of waiting I realized it wasn't working. Today with tater tots same thing. Naan the day before. I always make sure it's on and set for at least 10 mins before I put it in. It's very hot when I stick it in. Not to mention they told us after that the broiler doesn't work and hasn't for awhile.

So I contacted my landlord by text to let them know it's happening and if someone could take a look at it. She outright said I don't know what to tell you. have never used that oven. Maybe once. It was brand new. I think she is lying first of all. Second of all after saying is there anyway to have someone come check it? She stated if you will pay, why not? The stove is new and was working very well. That is something that you have to fix. Whatttt????

My understanding of things is that the Landlord is responsible for wear and tear around the apartment INCLUDING the appliances they have provided. She states the oven works well, but then she had stated before that the broiler didn't work. She states she barely used it, but she knows it works? Why should I pay for THEIR appliances when they fail to work after normal use?

Lastly, what can I do if they refuse to send someone to take a look at the oven? Given it's a gas oven, it's slightly concerning it's randomly shutting down. Also, I cook at home a lot to save money, why are we paying money every month for an oven that doesn't work? Thank you so much in advance!
What does your lease state?

Old 11-03-2013, 05:31 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,736,287 times
I had the same problem. My oven/stove didn't work for about 9 months. My scumbag landlord outright refused to fix it. Long, drawn out drama.... bottom line was, we ended up having to purchase a new stove out of our own pocket.

I will be taking it with me when I move --- even if I have to throw it in the dump, it's not staying here!

Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,145,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I had the same problem. My oven/stove didn't work for about 9 months. My scumbag landlord outright refused to fix it. Long, drawn out drama.... bottom line was, we ended up having to purchase a new stove out of our own pocket.

I will be taking it with me when I move --- even if I have to throw it in the dump, it's not staying here!
So there is basically nothing you can do about it? Withholding the rent or something? Something to get their attention? It scares me since I set it down with the info provided here and she basically blew me off and said she doesn't have time this week (she always says this) because she is very busy. It only takes 15 minutes to find a handyman to take a look or contact the super and have him take a look.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:41 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,715,359 times
write a letter and send it certified mail to the landlord. copy the letter and copy the proof of mailing. if you don't get a response within 10 days send a copy of the letter and proof of mailing to your housing office that governs your lease and landlord. you should call your housing office to get an application for a rent reduction based on reduction in service which you should send along with the copies.

your landlord will be forced to either repair the stove or get you a refurb at no additional rent. if you request a new appliance i think the extra rent will be 1/40 of the cost new appliance. if the landlord delays you may entitled to a rent reduction

Old 11-03-2013, 06:44 PM

she may know that the only legal way she can be made to fix it is by you following these procedures i outlined above. she may know this but won't tell you. the fact that you made a verbal request may or may not be honored. the only legal way to protect your rights is to follow the steps above

Old 11-03-2013, 06:45 PM

you cannot just withhold the rent. only the housing board can drop your rent when you go thru the proper procedures

Old 11-03-2013, 06:48 PM

575 posts, read 673,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you cannot just withhold the rent. only the housing board can drop your rent when you go thru the proper procedures
You can by written agreement/permission from the landlord.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:49 PM

sounds right but id wonder how many landlords would actually agree to putting it in writing.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:55 PM

575 posts, read 673,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
write a letter and send it certified mail to the landlord. copy the letter and copy the proof of mailing. if you don't get a response within 10 days send a copy of the letter and proof of mailing to your housing office that governs your lease and landlord. you should call your housing office to get an application for a rent reduction based on reduction in service which you should send along with the copies.

your landlord will be forced to either repair the stove or get you a refurb at no additional rent. if you request a new appliance i think the extra rent will be 1/40 of the cost new appliance. if the landlord delays you may entitled to a rent reduction
Great advice.

Before writing it though, know exactly what your lease says. Even if it's not in your favor, it might just finesse the LL to do the right thing, so as not to have to face the potential consequences and waste their time doing it and dealing with you and the stove.

It's usually better to keep on good terms with the LL and they with you, but sometimes it is just not meant to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City