Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 11:00 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joiseygirl732 View Post
Sounds awfully familiar to DC. Not promising.
DC, SF, Boston and NYC are the fantastic 4 are premier cities when it comes to professional jobs and other things associated with yuppie culture. Im trying to escape NYC and avoid these other 3 cities I have mentioned on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:19 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
DC, SF, Boston and NYC are the fantastic 4 are premier cities when it comes to professional jobs and other things associated with yuppie culture. Im trying to escape NYC and avoid these other 3 cities I have mentioned on here.
No offense Bronxguyane but you seemed to have wanted to leave nyc for quite a while now and seem quite unhappy here, why not actually move out of here sooner than later. No use wasting time being unhappy. Life is too short for that.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:41 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
No offense Bronxguyane but you seemed to have wanted to leave nyc for quite a while now and seem quite unhappy here, why not actually move out of here sooner than later. No use wasting time being unhappy. Life is too short for that.
Visiting New Orleans next week to see how it is. Also currently sending out job and resumes and recieved two responses from employers. So far I like Austin, nice tranquil town with a feel of a growing city, mix or urban and suburban and not so dense, ppenty of opportunities and not as competitive as the big 4 professional cities, NYC DC SF and Boston. Visited Charlotte, it seems boring, job market down there is not great but its better outside of city like research triangle. And the plus side nice pretty women in Charlotte. Last passed some civil service exams for 2 cities in Westchester County. So to put things in perspective livingsinglenyc? Im trying, again it is not easy.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:10 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I strongly recommend skipping both the DC and NYC job markets and marrying into extreme wealth instead.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:12 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
No matter where you work, you are going to sniff asses, tell them it smells nice and get a promotion.

Otherwise, NYC is much better than DC. I was there for a few months and it's absolutely one of the most horrible places to work in, boring people and never vibrant like the streets of NYC.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:13 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,515,553 times
I can't imagine SF being that hardcore... I mean I worked there, it was very chill both in dress, hours, etc. I mean you still did work, but it was a step down from the more stuffy Chicago work environment, much less of how I view NYC/DC to be. Our other office was in NYC, and lots of people complained about these things and hated to go to the NYC office in comparison...
Maybe in finance, VC culture it would be different.

Old 11-11-2013, 09:16 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I strongly recommend skipping both the DC and NYC job markets and marrying into extreme wealth instead.
Seconded.

A future OKC profile may be coming.

"I thought I'd give this a try, I am so over the bar scene. I recently moved to NYC and I LOVE it."

Old 11-11-2013, 10:59 AM

72 posts, read 130,336 times
It all depends on the type of business you're looking at working in, the type of position you have, and the type of company you end up at. I don't see how anyone can generalize that much. I've worked for a small, "hip" financial software company, a much larger software company but it was privately owned and thus very quirky with a lot of interesting characters.

The job market isn't great now, of course, but the kind of company and position you go with are ultimately up to you, so you have some control over it.

Old 11-11-2013, 11:34 AM

161 posts, read 699,570 times
I've worked in both DC and NYC, and it really depends where you work (the company or organization). But in general, people in DC care a lot more about where you work and NYC'ers are much more interested in where you live.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:01 PM

159 posts, read 339,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkl2000 View Post
It all depends on the type of business you're looking at working in, the type of position you have, and the type of company you end up at. I don't see how anyone can generalize that much. I've worked for a small, "hip" financial software company, a much larger software company but it was privately owned and thus very quirky with a lot of interesting characters.

The job market isn't great now, of course, but the kind of company and position you go with are ultimately up to you, so you have some control over it.
Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to go the corporate route or consulting route. I think I could put up with the travel for consulting, since it tends to have more flexibility (ie, I may be able to get more work-from-home days).

In DC, I've generally worked in government contracting, which isn't hugely demanding, but unfortunately the types I've had to work with and the culture I've had to work in have made work unbearable sometimes.

I guess I'm just hoping the people in NY are a little more laid back. I understand it's going to vary depending on industry/company/team culture, but I think region and surrounding has a strong influence on where an individual works. If I worked at my company in a different office across the US or down south, I know it would be an entirely different experience, culturally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City