Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:53 PM

40 posts, read 176,312 times

Advertisements

• How many of you relocated to NYC from Miami?
  • Which factors made you decide for NYC?
  • How long have you been living in NYC?
  • Do you consider returning to Miami?
  • Which is the worst thing NYC has... which is the best?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 12:35 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,048,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
This should be the opposite considering the fact that there is a ton of nyc transplants in miami dade area.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 PM

123 posts, read 279,268 times
Yes, but when the economy crashed a lot of us had to reverse course and return to NY. The economy in Miami is worse than it is in NY, so that's why I "relocated," but I consider myself a Miamian even though I have been here for close to two years! I always want to go back. I think I view Miami the ways Miami-based Cuban expats view Cuba: they may not be able to be there now, but it is in their blood and they will always want to return.

I think the worst thing about NYC is its old infrastructure. It can be really depressing. And taxes are high and people are just not happy. I don't mean they are unhappy, I mean New Yorkers are not at all cheerful or welcoming, which sucks. Everyone is so jaded. I have men elbow me out of the way daily when getting on or off the subway or something. And holding doors? Ha! Then people wonder why NY women are so independent and career-oriented...because that is the culture of the city folks! You can't slam a door in a woman's face and wonder why she doesn't bat her eyelashes at you haha.

But what is better about NY is that I feel safer. The people may be rude, but they're not going to rob you or follow you down deserted streets, which I feel happens more in Miami. And in New York you certainly don't find anywhere near as many "professional nobodies," which is a girl or a guy who is attractive, fun, and tan, yet they have nothing going on. South Beach is literally filled with professional nobodies from all around the world. I feel like New Yorkers would just ash their cigarettes on those people.

So, both have good and bad. But my allegiance is to Miami.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:47 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
I am moving my sister into her apartment here in Miami. I have no idea how people live down here. New Yorkers rude? I feel like I am in hell. Everyone is so rude and slow. They have no concept of standing in lines or waiting turns. I feel like I am in in Cuba. At least the culture in NY is diverse. And if I had to drive in this traffic every day I would kill myself.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Oh yes, the traffic in Miami is...without words. I think sometimes we look back on a memory and remember it more positively than it was. There are definitely parts of Miami where you will feel like you're in Cuba (Little Havana, anyone?) and then, of course, there is Little Haiti, which is kind of a cool place to visit. I want to hear more about this line-cutting thing though. I would crush any person who cut me in line (figuratively speaking, of course). And who is being rude?? I know the restaurant service can be slow, which annoys me to no end. To which part of Miami is your sister moving Ohio Girl, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:37 PM

Hey overdose, you omitted the most important factor in either city: which one has more irrationally fearful white people? Or let me guess, they are both at 100%...?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:33 PM

38 posts, read 94,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftlguy View Post
Well, I was born in NY and lived in NJ as a little kid, but mostly grew up in Miami so I consider myself a Miamian.

- Factors: I needed a job! The employment situation in Miami is terrible right now. Plus I've wanted to leave Miami since high school, the culture and I just don't mesh

- 8 mos

- Not if I can help it! If I end up broke and homeless and going back, it would be to save money and get back to NY eventually

- The worst thing NYC has....hmmm, I guess the ice/sludge on the ground was kind of annoying. My room doesn't have any air conditioning for the summer.

Seriously, in pretty much every other aspect NYC beats Miami by a mile. People are RUDE in Miami, it's violent, there is no real public transportation but every time you get in a car (which you'll be doing if you want anything, from groceries to a walk in the park, etc. because of the crazy sprawl) you fear for your life and/or get road rage from the horrible drivers and traffic. There's nothing to do, especially for free (well, the beach. That's it). The weather is awful, way too hot and it rains too much. The people are shallow. I'm going to stop now because I could go on for a while....

/rant

Edit: I guess I should add that since I've only been here a short time, I'll probably find more to hate about NY the longer I'm here....but as of now, nothing has been disappointing yet

Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM

961 posts, read 2,464,801 times
I said it before and I'll say it again, lived in Miami, my parents still live there, and I hate it. If it wasn't for them I'd never step foot there again. Its gets corny real quick. NY and Miami don't really compare to me, they're polar opposites for people of completely different tastes.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:44 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Miami weather, sans hurricanes, trumps NY in the winter AND the summer.

Miami has all the best clubs in the US right now, NYC club scene -dead-

Old 04-07-2014, 06:00 PM

72 posts, read 127,517 times
Miami has better Cuban food and better beaches. NYC has better everything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City