Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:28 PM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times

Advertisements

@Sacha. Again, you are describing Rego Park 24 years ago, when Bukharian Jews were first moving into the neighborhood. RP has been attracting Russians (in addition to Bukharian Jews from Uzbekistan) and immigrants from elsewhere in Central Asia for 10 years now. They're attracted by the Russian-speaking businesses, doctors and law offices but also by Forest Hills High School, one of the better NYC high schools if your child doesn't get into Stuyvesant and Bronx Science. Russians abound there. And they get on the food-stamp rolls by hiding much of their income (and the financial resources of elderly parents and relatives who live with them). Too many people I know, from Queens and Manhattan, have mentioned it to me. And I've seen far too many food-stamp transactions in RP supermarkets (by customers speaking Russian). It's "the post-Soviet way", nothing more and nothing less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 03:30 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And for the most important question of all, how is the food?

Also, I guess there is no Russian orthodox neighborhood in NYC then. I remember a few years back the media was trying to push the "Russians are coming to town". People started talking about Brighton Beach as Little Odessa, and how the Russians are starting to move to Brooklyn. There was the movie with JCVD called Maximum Risk featuring the Russian Mob. A whole slew of cop dramas started having "Russian Mob" story archs. I always assumed they meant Russian Orthodox.
There are quite a few family style Bukharian kosher restaurants in RP.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 AM

257 posts, read 684,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
@Sacha. Again, you are describing Rego Park 24 years ago, when Bukharian Jews were first moving into the neighborhood. RP has been attracting Russians (in addition to Bukharian Jews from Uzbekistan) and immigrants from elsewhere in Central Asia for 10 years now. They're attracted by the Russian-speaking businesses, doctors and law offices but also by Forest Hills High School, one of the better NYC high schools if your child doesn't get into Stuyvesant and Bronx Science. Russians abound there. And they get on the food-stamp rolls by hiding much of their income (and the financial resources of elderly parents and relatives who live with them). Too many people I know, from Queens and Manhattan, have mentioned it to me. And I've seen far too many food-stamp transactions in RP supermarkets (by customers speaking Russian). It's "the post-Soviet way", nothing more and nothing less.
And I dont believe You. All Bukharians I know are either DRs, Dentists or work on 47th street. So I seriously doubt they qualify for govt assistance. And those who work in manual jobs (my cobbler here on 2nd av in Manhattan, my alteration lady) are so business savvy I can see how people would be angry and bitter looking at their success. My cobbler came here in the 80s, still doesnt speak English but works his %^&% off every day, put 4 kids though Ivy league school and was smart enough to buy his and building next door right here on UES. Yes back in the 80 when it was possible. So I seriously doubt these people need govt assistance. I cant believe I am here to defend Bukharians but I hate this type of stereotyping. Post Sovier ways? You do realize its been over 20yrs, right? Such BS. Too many people mentioned it to you? These people are bookeepers? I'd like to see some receipts.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
And for the most important question of all, how is the food?

Also, I guess there is no Russian orthodox neighborhood in NYC then. I remember a few years back the media was trying to push the "Russians are coming to town". People started talking about Brighton Beach as Little Odessa, and how the Russians are starting to move to Brooklyn. There was the movie with JCVD called Maximum Risk featuring the Russian Mob. A whole slew of cop dramas started having "Russian Mob" story archs. I always assumed they meant Russian Orthodox.
Bukharian food is amazing!!!!! so good! Spicy. There is no Russian orthodox neighborhood in NYC.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:08 AM

1,987 posts, read 2,111,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha7 View Post
I seriously doubt these people need govt assistance. I cant believe I am here to defend Bukharians but I hate this type of stereotyping. Post Sovier ways? You do realize its been over 20yrs, right? Such BS. Too many people mentioned it to you? These people are bookeepers? I'd like to see some receipts.
Dear Sasha, they don't need government assistance, but they avail themselves of government assistance nonetheless. That is my point. Quite a few are self-employed or do work in which they can hide their income, even though they own a home or have a high rent. Elderly parents are also part of the equation. No, I have no receipts (not that I would), but whenever I go shopping on 108th St., half or more of the sales are done with food stamps by customers speaking in Russian. And "post-Soviet" times means after the fall of the Soviet Union. Those times are alive and well in Brighton Beach or Rego Park, where a thoroughgoing post-Soviet ethos thrives everywhere. Many of these immigrants have brought their post-Soviet habits to New York City. Anyone who lives in or visits RP notices these "qualities" immediately and will have to adjust to them accordingly.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Dear Sasha, they don't need government assistance, but they avail themselves of government assistance nonetheless. That is my point. Quite a few are self-employed or do work in which they can hide their income, even though they own a home or have a high rent. Elderly parents are also part of the equation. No, I have no receipts (not that I would), but whenever I go shopping on 108th St., half or more of the sales are done with food stamps by customers speaking in Russian. And "post-Soviet" times means after the fall of the Soviet Union. Those times are alive and well in Brighton Beach or Rego Park, where a thoroughgoing post-Soviet ethos thrives everywhere. Many of these immigrants have brought their post-Soviet habits to New York City. Anyone who lives in or visits RP notices these "qualities" immediately and will have to adjust to them accordingly.
And I dont buy it. I think You are prejudice. I can tell You want I think of people who were born and raised here, everything given to them to succeed yet they cry about racism, their unfortunate circumstances, whatever other BS excuses for their stupidity and laziness. But I'll keep it to myself. OK? By the way; "show me the receipts" is a joke. (from Whitney interview, became a catchphrase)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City