Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:32 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times

Advertisements

Burns' 2012 documentary "The Central Park Five" tells the story of five African American teens convicted in 1990 of raping a white female jogger in Central Park. In 2002, the convictions of the five defendants were vacated when another man confessed to the crime and his DNA/semen was discovered to match the DNA found on the rape victim.

The following year, the Central Park Five filed a civil suit against the City of New York for their wrongful convictions that, after a decade, has yet to be resolved. Bloomberg has essentially left the lawsuit in a "pending" status, but according to the article, Bill de Blasio, the mayor-elect, has agreed to settle this case, and though this is justice delayed way too long, "[they] will not only be exonerated ... but they will have justice, they will see some closure, and they will be able to be made whole," Burns said.

The lawsuit against the city seeks $50 million for each of the five, who spent years in prison for a crime they did not commit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/ny...-ire.html?_r=0

With de Blasio elected, justice on horizon for “Central Park 5″ - Salon.com

Why was Bloomberg allowed to get away with this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 06:35 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,933,547 times
I cannot imagine how they will be "made whole," everyone should watch the documentary nonetheless.

I am opposed to the death penalty for precisely this reason.

Old 11-18-2013, 06:41 PM

937 posts, read 1,135,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
I cannot imagine how they will be "made whole," everyone should watch the documentary nonetheless.

I am opposed to the death penalty for precisely this reason.
I agree; I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe that the settlement money will make them whole, but at least they will never have to work again.

Yusef Salaam (one of the central park 5) became an attorney, but he admitted during an interview that even with his overturned conviction, life is still very difficult.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:51 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
It will of course not make anyone whole..but it at least brings a resolution to an otherwise ugly time in our city, and hopefully assist these men to move forward. This is not just a reason to be against the death penalty, it is a reason to not trust police...they are oftentimes more interested in collaring people, closing a case, and laying blame on easy targets (like these kids) than actually serving the public, investigating properly, or upholding rights....20 years later and we still have much of the same issues unfortunately.

Old 11-19-2013, 11:22 AM

483 posts, read 870,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I agree; I think it's a bit of a stretch to believe that the settlement money will make them whole, but at least they will never have to work again.

Yusef Salaam (one of the central park 5) became an attorney, but he admitted during an interview that even with his overturned conviction, life is still very difficult.
The $50 million payment will not change the past for the five men traumatized by horrible experience. Lawyers and police officials should take note. By the way, former cop Mike Sheehan should be pulled from reporting. His role in tricking young men to confess to crime should never be forgotten nor condoned.

Last edited by Bernski; 11-19-2013 at 12:50 PM..

Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM

19,058 posts, read 13,977,271 times
$50 million for 12 years in jail? Where do I sign up?

Old 11-19-2013, 12:32 PM

1,871 posts, read 4,268,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
$50 million for 12 years in jail? Where do I sign up?
Keep in mind that DeBlasio said he would "settle" the case--not necessarily give these guys the entire $50 million dollars each that they asked for. They may negotiate that amount down considerably.

The title of this thread is a bit premature.

Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
I believe you sign up by becoming a poor person of color in NYC...pretty simple. It isn't the first time, and it won't be the last...so maybe if you are "lucky enough" you can be reborn Taekwon Jenkins of the Harlem housing projects, assuming you live past 5 years old of course. Then you too can be locked up for 12 years, have your family put thru hell, your friends abandon you...yes something to envy indeed.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Keep in mind that DeBlasio said he would "settle" the case--not necessarily give these guys the entire $50 million dollars each that they asked for. They may negotiate that amount down considerably.

Exactly. They're not going to get anywhere near the $50M they asked for. There have been plenty of wrongful conviction cases and wrongful incarceration cases. I can't remember one that got anywhere near that.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post

Yes, I read the title and then the articles and see that the title is extremely misleading. Anyone can sue for a certain amount of money. Doesn't mean they will get it.

I wish there was some way to make the responsible officials pay. Maybe put them in jail and empty out their bank accounts and give that money to the innocent five who were charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: