Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should People be Allowed to Rent out Per Night?
Yes, In All Cases 19 31.67%
No, Apartments are Not Hotels 24 40.00%
It should be allowed in certain situations 17 28.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 10:49 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,776,377 times

Advertisements

Bedbugs, prostitution and theft in so many forms are things to worry about. If you live in soulless 10 stories 200+apt type of buildings then i guess it doesnt matter unless you're a doorman/super in the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,425,236 times
New York AG Seeks Airbnb's NYC Sublet Information - ABC News

Old 04-23-2014, 05:56 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
ahem if they OWN it fine.

if they do not and are renting NO.

the prices are TOO DAMN HIGH anyway
no one can afford anything here.

but they do not have the right to rent it out if they do not own it.
of course if they do own it I am all for it.

sorry poor people that want to rent out your section 8 apartment for income instead of working such that you can still get food stamps and government subsidies behind the scenes.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:50 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,381,509 times
This is an interesting dilemma, particularly for new york city and its hefty housing rules and regulations. I think we can all agree that if you are a subsidized renter, that is you are on section 8/other city voucher programs, rent control, or an affordable housing development, etc, that you should not be subsidized by taxpayers and then turn around and profit from that by renting out rooms/apt at market rate and pocketing those sums. That is probably the biggest gripe.

A close second would be that if you live in a co-op, almost all have rules prohibiting running a hotel (or businesses) from your apt. You know this before you decide to rent/own in a co-op, so you are knowingly breaking the rules that everyone has agreed to and risking eviction. If everyone does not abide by the rules of the co-op, it defeats the purpose and the building will go to sh&$ quickly, thus why they are so stringent.

Those in condos (owners and renters) are quickly adopting co-op rules to stem this issue as well, although each condo can decide for themselves whether they want their homes to become potentially entirely transient/hotel atmosphere. As for "regular" (market rate) renters, almost every lease expressly stipulates that running a business from the apt is illegal, subleasing short-term or long-term requires landlords written consent, and hotels are banned outright.

I think AirBNB is great, but because of the unique dynamics of NYC like the epic affordable housing shortage and myriad of taxpayer funded subsidies and developments, AirBNB should be regulated to insure the addresses of those rooms for rent are legally allowed to be rented. A solution would be registering your apt with the city, like every other hotel does, so that people are not cheating the system, destabilizing buildings and even entire neighborhoods.

The idea of "mind your own business" is ludicrous....yes it is your home, and if you lived in a 10 acre lot in the middle of Pishtaw, Iowa then sure..everyone should mind their own business because you are not impacting anyone. But when you live densely packed with so many people, their business to some degree is your business too, just like your business to some degree is their business too. That's life in NYC.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen811 View Post
ahem if they OWN it fine.

if they do not and are renting NO.

the prices are TOO DAMN HIGH anyway
no one can afford anything here.

but they do not have the right to rent it out if they do not own it.
of course if they do own it I am all for it.

sorry poor people that want to rent out your section 8 apartment for income instead of working such that you can still get food stamps and government subsidies behind the scenes.
If they have a lease, I don't have a problem with anyone renting out the place to make rent. They are, however, responsible for anything that happens

Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
If you have a rent stabilized apartment and start renting it out on Airbnb, isn't that grounds for automatic eviction? And if it's not, it should be. Just like living somewhere else for over 6 months a year is grounds for eviction.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,728,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
If you have a rent stabilized apartment and start renting it out on Airbnb, isn't that grounds for automatic eviction? And if it's not, it should be. Just like living somewhere else for over 6 months a year is grounds for eviction.
That's a different story, anyone rent stabilized or RC should be kicked out immediately

Old 04-23-2014, 07:37 AM

384 posts, read 512,715 times
I think rent-stabilized are allowed to sublet with the owner's permission, as long as they aren't charging more than the stabilized rent. Rent-controlled are not allowed to sublet at all.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:21 AM

338 posts, read 677,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Manhattan has a less than one-percent vacancy rate. All of these shenanigans are keeping apartments off the market and allowing a few well-placed people to make money off of their rent stabilized units. It’s fraud and makes an already brutal apartment market even worse.
Why are so many people in this discussion assuming it's RS apartments? I've heard more stories of luxury apartments being used for Air bnb than RS. Eg., that story a few weeks ago of that comedian who's apartment was used for some kind of weird sex party. And I read an article on Air Bnb where users were saying that was the only way they could afford their expensive rent. Also my friend lives in a luxury building on 9th Avenue and 38th (?) and she's convinced the management is running an illegal hotel (she sees a lot of unfamiliar people with suitcases, etc.).

Old 04-23-2014, 12:16 PM

1,013 posts, read 910,655 times
ahem gee1995 because in NYC 50-75% of ALL apartments are supposedly rent stabilized/controlled
otherwise NO ONE can afford it.

except maybe wall street.
but you need more than wall street to run a city.

you actually need people to work not just gamble all day long and have meetings where they do nothing.

so there you have it either own it
or no. for me

i dont like co-ops anyway though
hate regulations.

I see apartments being shared by many all the time.
but they are not temps more like room sharing.

1 family of 3 rents 1 room.
1 family of 3 rents another room.

so 3 bedroom apt has 9 people in them YES I see them all the time.
and they are not tourists but just poor people needing a place to stay.

because rent is too damn high in nyc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City