Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2013, 06:03 AM

34,006 posts, read 47,240,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I live elsewhere now. I know how to cook at home. Also, there are restaurants all over the country. On a daily, weekly, or monthly basis, why does someone need this vast variety of restaurants?

CNYC is basically saying he can't afford any standard of life in NYC due to the escalating cost of everything. I'm not his accountant, but I assume he has the intelligence to know what he is going through. So why try to encourage him to stay in a situation HE THINKS is not good for him? Why encourage him to stay in a situation where he may struggle and that maybe harmful to him? What if he is happy elsewhere? There's a huge big world out there.
Nahh I don't encourage anybody to stay in a situation they're not happy in. But people settle and convince themselves that the replacement is just as good.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 08:30 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,616,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I am a native NY'er and also agree with collateral. However I'd like to add something very important to the mix.

When NYC is working for you there is NOTHING like it in the world and you feel like you are living on the peak of a famous mountain top. When NYC has you down you crash HARD. Harder than other places in America. There is no sunny day at the beach if you are broke or social life if you aren't plugged into a group.

It's been getting harder and harder to "spread the wealth" (quality of life) around. It seems like fewer people are enjoying NYC but the ones who do are having a blast and have the whole place to themselves.

I am tired of getting boxed out of things due to pricing or that I don't fit in with whatever crowd is dominating this city right now. I've had an amazing life here but I won't let myself sit around here any longer thinking it will sway my way anytime soon...THE MOVE.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:40 AM

709 posts, read 1,129,921 times
Quote:
I am a native NY'er and also agree with collateral. However I'd like to add something very important to the mix.

When NYC is working for you there is NOTHING like it in the world and you feel like you are living on the peak of a famous mountain top. When NYC has you down you crash HARD. Harder than other places in America. There is no sunny day at the beach if you are broke or social life if you aren't plugged into a group.

It's been getting harder and harder to "spread the wealth" (quality of life) around. It seems like fewer people are enjoying NYC but the ones who do are having a blast and have the whole place to themselves.

I am tired of getting boxed out of things due to pricing or that I don't fit in with whatever crowd is dominating this city right now. I've had an amazing life here but I won't let myself sit around here any longer thinking it will sway my way anytime soon...THE MOVE.
True story. I was born in NYC and I live in DC now. I'm pretty happy here. It's like a mini New York with a MUCH better subway system.

DC is actually underrated in my opinion. It's off the radar because everyone associates it with the Government. Once you actually live here you barely notice the Government. Its definitely a cleaner and healthier city than NY. You won't age nearly as fast.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:59 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,617,206 times
Quote:
I'm curious about this. I've always felt that it's almost impossible to "not fit in" here because there are so many people. No matter what you're into there are thousands, probably tens of thousands of like-minded people out there. I guess it can be hard to find them. Are you saying that there aren't places to meet kindred spirits anymore?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Nahh I don't encourage anybody to stay in a situation they're not happy in. But people settle and convince themselves that the replacement is just as good.
The replacement may even be better for them. Just because you don't want to do it doesn't mean someone else shouldn't.

I think in their regular lives some of the people on this forum have not traveled enough. Different places have different plus and minuses.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
I'm curious about this. I've always felt that it's almost impossible to "not fit in" here because there are so many people. No matter what you're into there are thousands, probably tens of thousands of like-minded people out there. I guess it can be hard to find them. Are you saying that there aren't places to meet kindred spirits anymore?
He is basically saying that unless you make lots of money, there's nothing to do in the city. So he won't be finding those people that he fits in, because it would take money to socialize and gather.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,992,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collateral View Post
True story. I was born in NYC and I live in DC now. I'm pretty happy here. It's like a mini New York with a MUCH better subway system.

DC is actually underrated in my opinion. It's off the radar because everyone associates it with the Government. Once you actually live here you barely notice the Government. Its definitely a cleaner and healthier city than NY. You won't age nearly as fast.
Do you really live in Downtown DC or in one of the suburbs--- If you think the subway system there is better you my friend are delusional . There are thousands of people there who would have to drive to the subway. True it is cleaner but in terms of service there is no comparison. DC always ranks high on the most dangerous cities in the country while NYC does not... glad you are enjoying yourself but your comparison is way off base

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
You have to take an escalator to get to any subway platform in DC, it sucks. And it doesn't go to too many places, you still need to drive to get around easily, not to mention it doesn't run over night and there's no express service

Old 12-13-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilmin View Post
Do you really live in Downtown DC or in one of the suburbs--- If you think the subway system there is better you my friend are delusional . There are thousands of people there who would have to drive to the subway. True it is cleaner but in terms of service there is no comparison. DC always ranks high on the most dangerous cities in the country while NYC does not... glad you are enjoying yourself but your comparison is way off base
He's not off base. He enjoys DC better. Its better for him as he is happy there. It may not be better for you, but you and he quite clearly are two different people.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
One definitely should live where he wants. After having examined dpzens of places I want to live in NYC and I DO.

How stupid to tell someone else where he wants to or should live.

We have one life...live it where you want, where you are comfortable. Nothing else has meaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City