Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 05:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

Airborne: If firearms have saved your life 4 times and helped 3 times, it sounds like you either spend your time with the wrong people, or in the wrong places, or Staten Island is on par with Somalia.

I am a native Bronxite from the infamous "South Bronx". I have never needed a gun at any time to do anything, including sleeping soundly at night, and firearms have done profoundly more harm than any alleged good they may have done for a handful of people under very specific and anecdotal circumstances. So what's your point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
I have never needed my fire insurance yet either but that does not mean i would cancel my policy.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Thankfully your life has been ideal. Other's have not, that's my point. Everyone else in America should not have their rights demolished because your life have apparently never been marred by violent conflict.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:10 PM

97 posts, read 145,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Thankfully your life has been ideal. Other's have not, that's my point. Everyone else in America should not have their rights demolished because your life have apparently never been marred by violent conflict.
Agreed. I used to have similar views to the OP. That changed when I came F2F with a violent criminal that had a gun, thank god he just wanted to get away because he could have shot all 5 us no problem. He already had shot at someone that caught him breaking into their house earlier. In the 3 minutes 911 took to respond we could have all been dead.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM

mathjack: I am with you 100% in all things NYC RE...but in this case you are way off base. If you are equating a firearm with a fire insurance policy, well that speaks to your mentality. Guns are not an insurance policy, they are a dangerous weapon best left out of the hands of the public. Spreading more guns around in the name of "safety" is like making sure every country in the world has nuclear weapons...you know..if they all have them we will all be safer right!

Insurance policy indeed!

Airborne: As I stated, I am a regular person living in a "high crime" neighborhood and have never needed for a gun, ever. And 99.9% of the residents here have never needed a gun either....that doesn't make our experience unusual or ideal..it is the experience of 99.9% of Americans. And it makes your experience the complete exception and clearly anectdotal....you should really spend less time polishing your guns and more time figuring out what in your life is causing you to use them at all, and so often. Maybe then you won't "need" them afterall.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:27 PM

sobro you are actually believing your own bull-sh*t and that rarely turns out well most of the time for anything in life ..

you are trying to take your own lifes experiences,beliefs and myths and believe that the way you see it is the only correct way because it has to be. .

Old 12-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Not at all..I am taking everyone's typical life experience. Unless you think we live in Somalia? Americans live life never having to pull a gun or shoot a gun, or have a gun pulled on them, ever, with only the greatest of exceptions equivalent to the odds of the lottery.

If you believe otherwise..I am not sure if you are coherent or live in reality.

If you would like to talk about actual dangers which impact Americans, all Americans, all the time, which we should all be afraid of, then we should talk about cars and car accidents. And a gun sure won't help you there.

Old 12-07-2013, 05:57 PM

i think many of the folks who lived in LA during the riots , or those in long beach or rockaway after sandy would disagree with you .

Old 12-07-2013, 06:06 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,964,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sobro you are actually believing your own bull-sh*t and that rarely turns out well most of the time for anything in life ..

you are trying to take your own lifes experiences,beliefs and myths and believe that the way you see it is the only correct way because it has to be. .
Again, exactly. Conversation over.

Old 12-07-2013, 06:16 PM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
I suspect that some of the posters to this thread...well just one...live a very sheltered life. They are also under the illusion that because they know everyone's life experience they are right and everyone else is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City